Pure Power

Anything about BXs
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Roverman wrote:Cant remember saying it was slow, but with the BHP output being around the same and the petrol engine being made of alloy it would be lighter so may be a wee bit quicker? The 14E Leader MK1 I had qas surprisngly sprightly!
No, no, no.

The 1124 suitcase develops 50 bhp and (more importantly) 62 ft lbs of torque. The superb 17D with 60bhp and 82 ft lbs of torque would, in the modern parlance, piss all over the 11 8)
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Did that engine go in the Visa too?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Did that engine go in the Visa too?
Both did.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

cavmad wrote:The 1.7 n/a diesel was NOT slow, ask Vanny or his mate who had my old one.
Was! :lol: Very.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Kitch wrote:
cavmad wrote:The 1.7 n/a diesel was NOT slow, ask Vanny or his mate who had my old one.

I'll get Vanny on you if you carry on like that!
Vauxhall apologist.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

jonathan_dyane wrote:
Roverman wrote:Cant remember saying it was slow, but with the BHP output being around the same and the petrol engine being made of alloy it would be lighter so may be a wee bit quicker? The 14E Leader MK1 I had qas surprisngly sprightly!
No, no, no.

The 1124 suitcase develops 50 bhp and (more importantly) 62 ft lbs of torque. The superb 17D with 60bhp and 82 ft lbs of torque would, in the modern parlance, piss all over the 11 8)
Yes yes yes! :wink: Relax!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

cavmad wrote:
Kitch wrote:

I'll get Vanny on you if you carry on like that!
Where is the old scroat anyway goat?
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Roverman wrote:
jonathan_dyane wrote:
No, no, no.

:twisted: :lol: :lol:
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Roverman wrote:
jonathan_dyane wrote:
No, no, no.

Not if the diesel weighs more (as I think it does) and has much taller gearing (as it would do) and has a shorter rev band (which it definately does). And then couple those very torque figures to that rev band....if the 11 has it's torque mid range and it's power higher up it's going to be on the boil for longer. If the diesel has it all at 2000rpms, it's all over at low revs (and therefore low speed).

I don't know the actual figures, but I do know it could be the slowest race ever performed :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

I suspect the diesel would have it's torque over most of the rev range, and be a much nicer car to drive. My money would be on the diesel to win that race. The 11 might pull ahead at the very beginning, but the 17D would pull ahead from 2nd gear onwards.

.. and It would indeed be a very slow race. Possibly faster than the race that a friend and I had from a set of lights on a dual carriageway in Portsmouth many years ago.

A 1994 1360cc diesel (TUD3) Pug 106 -V- a 1982 1600cc diesel Astra Estate (in snot green)

It was only once we had to brake for the next set of lights that we both realised we'd not broken the 60mph speed limit. :lol:

Who do you think won?
this might be a signature
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Given that the Visa Diesel was an order of magnitude faster than the Visa 11 (same engines) I have no reason to believe the same would not be true of the slower BX's.

All we need to do is find two suitable cars and have a burn out :lol:
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

jonathan_dyane wrote:Given that the Visa Diesel was an order of magnitude faster than the Visa 11 (same engines) I have no reason to believe the same would not be true of the slower BX's.
Now that I think about it, the same was true in the Horizon shell. The 65HP 1905cc XUD was a remarkably faster car than the 64HP 1294cc pushrod engine of rattlyness. It also did 450 miles on its (tiny) tank rather than 300. That was of course back when Diesel fuel was a few pence a litre cheaper than Petrol. What happened there then?
this might be a signature