Allot wheels wanted.

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Alloy wheel prices

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I would say £10 a wheel if refurbishing is required.
(you get about £7.50 in scrap for them.)

£15 if they are good to go, which is unusual as the rims seem to deteriorate quickly- but the painted area wears very well.

You often find 2 wheels are worth £10, and 2 are £15 because the rear wheels get knocked about less.

So £50 for an average set of 4 is fair.

£25 a rim would only be worth it if the wheels required no attention at all.

Remember you have to add about £10 a corner for a fit and balance too.

Refurbing the edges is not hard, but a bit messy and time consuming.

Values for most BX parts on this forum are often less than the 'open market' as "mate's rates" usually apply.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

MULLEY wrote:Dunno about the aspect ratio way2go, seem fine to me when driving. If the tyre fitters were in any doubt they would have said so.

I guess most rims regardless of size can accomodate tyres either side of what they were designed for, as the width of the tyres at the bead musn't be that much difference.
Just for the record, having looked into all this with a mate who was into the "euro dub scene" :roll: those tyres will be fine.
At worst, it'll look a bit odd. For example, a 6J rim I had wore 195/45 tyres. I then had a set of 7J's which wore the same size. Tyres are flexible, rims are not.

The Dub boys had a (J (yup.....9inches wide!) rim with 185 tyres on, as it's seen as cool to stretch the tyres on. Possibly to show how wide the rims are, or possibly because it's the only way an old mk2 Golf will take 9inch wide wheels without trying to eat it's own arches, I don't know. Passed MOT's no problem, it's not unsafe as far as the structure of the tyre goes. But the handling and ride?? Shambolic! Mind you, so are most veedubs IMO.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Kitch wrote:Passed MOT's no problem,
That's because the MOT tester is making a judgement on the condition of the tyre (tread, sidewall damage etc) rather than the fitment.
Kitch wrote: it's not unsafe as far as the structure of the tyre goes.
I've heard that it is. Rather than being load cycled near its "relaxed" state, it's now being load cycled in a stressed state. Cyclic loading at a constant elevated stress level is much more damaging in terms of material fatigue.

You're also much more likely to damage the sidewall of the tyre if you hit a pothole, as it can't flex properly to absorb the impact, as most of it's flexing capability has been taken up with making it stretch to fit the wheel.

In a word: Dangerous.
this might be a signature
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Ah well, you only live once. Even if it is for a short time :wink:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Re: Alloy wheel prices

Post by cavmad »

Mike E (uk) wrote:I would say £10 a wheel if refurbishing is required.
(you get about £7.50 in scrap for them.)

£15 if they are good to go, which is unusual as the rims seem to deteriorate quickly- but the painted area wears very well.

You often find 2 wheels are worth £10, and 2 are £15 because the rear wheels get knocked about less.

So £50 for an average set of 4 is fair.

£25 a rim would only be worth it if the wheels required no attention at all.

Remember you have to add about £10 a corner for a fit and balance too.

Refurbing the edges is not hard, but a bit messy and time consuming.

Values for most BX parts on this forum are often less than the 'open market' as "mate's rates" usually apply.

Mike
I don't know Mike. Alloy weigh in prices have dropped dramatically, more than metal in conmparable terms. In fact very recent reports suggest £250 a tonne. For a rough idea how bad this is I weighed 3o odd alloys in at £700 a tonne and got £136.00 for them iirc. If they are £250 a tonne then it's not even worth the bother unless you have shed loads and they're beyond re-use anyhow.
If you can refurb yourself a tenner a wheel is probably about right but a proper job is going to be £25 per wheel upwards, the lower end being for wheels that aren't in bad condition anyway or for someone just set up on their own and therefore trying to be competitive to do.
Refit of part worn or your own new tyres, new valve and a balance should be available for about a fiver a wheel if you know the people at your nearest tyre centre.
Dead right about the 'mates's rates' on here though and long may that continue.
Vauxhall apologist.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I stand corrected on the scrap values, I last weighed in a wheel in the summer, and values will be lower now.

All my recon estimates were based on DIY of the rim only with a mini grinder, wet & dry and spray can lacquer. With care, results are good.

As you say, professional wheel refurb can be very expensive: £25 each is cheap.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

I did mine in the garage by hand... the results were quite surprising.

If I was going to refurb another set, I'd go with Phase 1 wheels... in fact the rears on mine were off a Phase 1.

I paid £50 for this set with legal, but not brilliant tyres...
Chris Abbott
BXpert

alloys

Post by Chris Abbott »

Hey Matt they look good- i think i might have a set soon, im just waiting for a reply from another club member- fingers crossed
Chris Abbott
BXpert

Alloys

Post by Chris Abbott »

Hi Guys, im new to the forum, and not too good on the pc! Im trying to get in touch with DLM, I think i might of pm,d him, but there again, i might have posted it to out of space!! If DLM reads this can you mail me? Cheers, Chris. One day id like to send some pics of my TGD- a bit above my computing skills at the moment though.
Chris Abbott
BXpert

alloys

Post by Chris Abbott »

Hey Guys, i think ive got myself a set with a spare and the correct bolts and the centre caps too!! Thanks for all the help and advice, ill keep you posted, Cheers :)