TZD Turbo is gutless at low revs

BX Tech talk
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Sam, if all is well and you're still not happy, a change to a bosch pump and injectors is worth it. Not only is there more torque out of the boost range, but the pump is easily tunable and can be tuned much more easily to suit your own driving than a rotodiesel.

mm_citroen on flea bay keep advertising one at around £40 which ain't too bad but you'll need injectors and high pressure pipes to match it.

On your comparison with your 2.1, the 2.1 is much more torquey at much lower revs than the 1.7td! Another option is to find a faster spooling turbo. I think a Garrett 15 (not sure if it's 15 or 1.5) was used on some of the HDi PSA units. I've not done it and nor do I know anyone who has done this particular conversion so do a bit of research first in case I got the wrong end of the stick.
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

They did actually fit the Garrett T15 turbo to the later 1.9TD engines, eg from a 306. The information I found a while back suggested it was 1998 onwards.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Ah ha! Did they improve low down performance or do they actually spool up faster do you know Matt?
1990 BX TGD White
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Also, what turbo do you have on yours then and whilst I'm at it, what gear box?
1990 BX TGD White
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

A Garrett T3 works rather well!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Is that more oooooooomph with a T3 docster or muchos quickos spooliage?
1990 BX TGD White
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Much more oooooooooomph mate, especially if it's water cooled :mrgreen:

Mine gives a good blow job from about 1400RPM, and still gives it large at 5100RPM!

EDIT: the IC is bloody useless though, a front mounted man sized unit is really needed.
After a couple of good squirts on the loud pedal the air gets so super heated you can feel the power falling away!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
SamWise
BXpert

Post by SamWise »

mat_fenwick wrote: If you post up a photo of your fuel pump we can explain how to adjust if required, also how to
have all the performance it has to offer!
by upping the boost... :D
Is that not a recipe for.....you know.....disaster and everything?
1966 Triumph Herald convertible with big valve twin carb Spitfire head

1973 Bedford Panorama Elite II Bus

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

1992 Citroen AX Echo 1.4D
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Depends how far you take it.
You can reliably run a 17TD up to about 125, maybe 130 BHP without it shitting itself out.
mild boosting and fuelling increses will do no harm if the engines ok.

SamWise
BXpert

Post by SamWise »

How badly does this affect the economy?

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

BX Bandit wrote:Also, what turbo do you have on yours then and whilst I'm at it, what gear box?
I've used the Garrett T2 that was orininally on the BX engine, saved swapping the outlet elbow onto the donor Xantia KKK turbo, plus the Garrett is easier to adjust in situ!
Gearbox wise I've kept the BX BE5 box, coupled with the BX clutch and flywheel. I see no reason to make life difficult to change to a pull type clutch, also that gearbox (20k miles oil changes!) was in a lot better condition than my Dad's Xantia box. It's strange, my Dad was almost religious about changing the engine oil but never changed the gearbox oil in 130k miles while he had the Xantia...
Samwise wrote:How badly does this affect the economy?
It's difficult to say what effect it has had on fuel economy - I used to get about 30-40 mpg from the 1.7TD, between 38-45mpg after the engine swap and usually mid to high 30s after increasing the boost and fuelling. I have seen mid 40s but tend not to drive economically all that often... In theory though, if the turbo is working at a level that gives the engine more efficient filling of the cylinders, you could notice an improvement in mpg, but in all honesty if you are tuning it you probably will use the extra performance and hence the economy will drop off a little.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
SamWise
BXpert

Post by SamWise »

I think there's a combination of things here. I'm normally a VERY economical driver - I'll literally stick to 60 mph for 4 hours at a time, and I get 55 mpg from my XM, and 75 from my AX. What interests me is the ability to go fast when I really feel like it, and for those occasions when you need it. I live round the corner from the main road out of Southampton, which requires me to filter into 40-50 mph traffic with no filter lane at all, so a bit of a drag racer would be very welcome! I also love a car which will let me overtake without fear when the time comes......

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I live round the corner from the main road out of Southampton, which requires me to filter into 40-50 mph traffic with no filter lane at all, so a bit of a drag racer would be very welcome! I also love a car which will let me overtake without fear when the time comes......
A BX turbodiesel in decent fettle will unquestionably do both (accelerate quickly from rest and allow you to overtake without fear).

I'd say if there is no pickup at 2200rpm on a standard setup then something is not quite as it should be, but whether you need an Italian service or something else I'd hesitate to say without seeing the car. A dose of injection cleaner (or a little Paraffin - which I understand does the same thing) would be the place to start from my point of view. PM sent.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
SamWise
BXpert

Post by SamWise »

DLM wrote:
I live round the corner from the main road out of Southampton, which requires me to filter into 40-50 mph traffic with no filter lane at all, so a bit of a drag racer would be very welcome! I also love a car which will let me overtake without fear when the time comes......
A BX turbodiesel in decent fettle will unquestionably do both (accelerate quickly from rest and allow you to overtake without fear).

I'd say if there is no pickup at 2200rpm on a standard setup then something is not quite as it should be, but whether you need an Italian service or something else I'd hesitate to say without seeing the car. A dose of injection cleaner (or a little Paraffin - which I understand does the same thing) would be the place to start from my point of view. PM sent.
An Italian Service? I'm unfamiliar with that term! I didn't get a PM, but it could be you're still writing it.....

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

An "Italian Service" just means a bit of vigorous driving with the accent on a heavy right foot - sort of blowing out the cobwebs?
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.