TZD Turbo is gutless at low revs

BX Tech talk
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

SamWise wrote:So, I'll check all the turbo ducting and hoses, etc. I'm also interested in the need to adjust the on-boost fuelling. I'm sure I can find the control, but one post above seemed to suggest that there SHOULD be black smoke under hard acceleration. Is that right? The car will do the job just fine as it is, but I'd love to have all the performance it has to offer!
A little black smoke in certain points of the rev range is normal, and if you're not getting *any* coupled with lack of low down power says to me lack of fuelling.

Once you have hit 2200 rpm the car should pull vigorously, and you shouldn't need to rev it for power. After you have this sorted it will be a whole new car; except for under 2000 rpm the car should be really rather lively, and effortless to drive.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
SamWise
BXpert

Post by SamWise »

That's definitely what I want from it. Baby steps though - got to get the car first......
1966 Triumph Herald convertible with big valve twin carb Spitfire head

1973 Bedford Panorama Elite II Bus

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

1992 Citroen AX Echo 1.4D
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Whats this I spy in your siggy?
A Bedford coach!
Are you mad, or brave?!?!?!

Piccies please!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
SamWise
BXpert

Post by SamWise »

Neither! It's a wonderful, reliable old beast that I drove to India and back 10 years ago without suffering any serious problems. Since then, however, it's been languishing in a yard at a closed down nursery, and now looks as it does below. When I laid it up it needed bodywork tidying, and new windscreens. Now, of course, the brakes will be siezed, it's sick of not being turned over etc. This summer, I'm going to tryhttp://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&t=9820 to bring it home to park alongside my house so I can work on it, but it won't be easy. Anyone with bright ideas about how to move a coach with no MOT or tax, and plastic windscreens 8 miles, or who knows where I might source replacement glass, should put their hand up now!

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

This was the story in Practical Classics wasn't it? I enjoyed reading it, very interesting!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

India and back! How cool is that! If you have bus concerns Sam, then Doc the Maaan 8)
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
SamWise
BXpert

Post by SamWise »

mat_fenwick wrote:This was the story in Practical Classics wasn't it? I enjoyed reading it, very interesting!
That was the one! If you're a PC reader, then you might also be interested to know that I wrote the Why We Love..... feature for about a year after that, from the Sunbeam Tiger up til they revamped their editorial team, and took on a new staff writer. Enjoyed that, I did, and I still write for other publications. I'd love to get back to writing about cars.

I'm looking forward to hearing back from the Doc on this, and I really could do with some friends in the bus world - I can't find anything that looks like the equivalent of BXClub for buses!

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

docchevron

Post by docchevron »

There isn't really a bus version of BXC which is why I post my inane ramblings about my bus on here!

There's a few good tow companies that dont charge the earth, but it depends where you're located really..

Shouldn't be too hard to find a windscreen, I know of a couple that have met Mr. Gas axe in the not too distant past.

The brakes will almost certainly come off without too much hassle, if they're REALLY stuck then pull the wheels off, get a sledge hammer and hit each drum very hard on the edge. The shoes will retract with a headache!

Do you know anyone with full trade plates? That makes driving it on the road easy!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
SamWise
BXpert

Post by SamWise »

I don't know anyone with trade plates, no. How would the scuff respond to someone with trade plates driving that on the road? Would we be ok? Actually, I think I DO know someone who might have plates.....

I'd really appreciate any help finding screens, it's my big priority to get this thing home this summer, and actually set about making it look better, not worse. I'm a bit worried about vandals, but it aint getting prettier where it is. The other problem I have is that my road is heavily parked, so getting it down to the end will require me to wait for when it's quiet. That said, the bin men get down there, so it can't be completely impossible. I have a carport which I'll have to take down, but then there's room for it (50% of which will be on hardstanding!) beside my house. I live in a cul-de-sac, and my house faces a little green, with no actual road outside, which means I have a) maneuvering space and b) a problem when it gets muddy!

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Erm, well, I have beforenow driven a Bristol VR with no side panels some 60 miles without attracting any attention from the fuzz.

You do need to make sure that it's got legal tyres on, and is generally in roadworthy condition like..

I'll ask about for some screens mate, shouldn't be to hard to grab some.

SamWise
BXpert

Post by SamWise »

I would appreciate that so much. I've been waiting some time to try to make some contacts in the industry/community! Whereabouts are you in the country (not that there's anywhere I WON'T go to get the screens!). I'm in Southampton.

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

You can use trade plates to move a untaxed car around but it MUST have a valid MOT, the only other way is to be driving it to or from a MOT station or the place of repair for the MOT itself.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

SamWise wrote:Neither! It's a wonderful, reliable old beast that I drove to India and back 10 years ago without suffering any serious problems. Since then, however, it's been languishing in a yard at a closed down nursery, and now looks as it does below. When I laid it up it needed bodywork tidying, and new windscreens. Now, of course, the brakes will be siezed, it's sick of not being turned over etc. This summer, I'm going to tryhttp://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&t=9820 to bring it home to park alongside my house so I can work on it, but it won't be easy. Anyone with bright ideas about how to move a coach with no MOT or tax, and plastic windscreens 8 miles, or who knows where I might source replacement glass, should put their hand up now!

Southampton? I'll keep an eye out for it!

Looks like a Malta Bus too:

One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
SamWise
BXpert

Post by SamWise »

You won't see it, it's on the grounds of a shut-down nursery in the back of beyond on the way to Salisbury. Of course, when I get it home in the summer......

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

docchevron

Post by docchevron »

SamWise wrote:I would appreciate that so much. I've been waiting some time to try to make some contacts in the industry/community! Whereabouts are you in the country (not that there's anywhere I WON'T go to get the screens!). I'm in Southampton.
I'm not too far away. I'm based in Bristol, but the bus collection is dotted about all over the place. Some in Chippenham, some in assorted places throughout Wiltshire, some in Bristol, some, er, well, all over the place really. My main centre of bus related paraphernalia is in Stroud, Gloucestershire, we have about 40 buses there, although the number goes up and down quite often.

There's several groups based on the site, and whilst I get on with the others, we have a group of 4 of us, and we tend to keep to ourselves, since we all get on and get things done.
You're always welcome to stop by and marvel at the beastishness that is a 1993 Dennis Lance! :lol:
I'll ask about tomorrow for some screens dude.