TZD Turbo is gutless at low revs

BX Tech talk
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Is that lalandei hedging that your coach is parked under? If so, get it moved pronto! The sap that lalandei gives off is rather acidic and remarkably corrosive.
this might be a signature
SamWise
BXpert

Post by SamWise »

I don't know whether it is or not, but it's next to it rather than under it, and it's been there for 9 years, so any damage is probably done. The roof is fibreglass, so hopefully won't suffer too badly. It'll get moved this year though - I'm determined.
1966 Triumph Herald convertible with big valve twin carb Spitfire head

1973 Bedford Panorama Elite II Bus

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

1992 Citroen AX Echo 1.4D
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

SamWise wrote:it's been there for 9 years
*searches on google earth*
SamWise
BXpert

Post by SamWise »

You should find it. It's in Canada Common (I think), just off the A36 outside West Wellow.

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Ahhh, THE estate is just off Winwhistle Rd in West Wellow, sitting in it's little barn :(
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
SamWise
BXpert

Post by SamWise »

Really? Must be very nearby! I picked up the car today, good little run home, and it's not as bad as I thought. I still think it should be a bit more urgent though, I'm not sure it's faster than my 2.1 XM. We shall see - that aside, it's an absolute pleasure to drive.

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Sam.

I'm often down to Soton area. You'll have to try driving mine, and I'll drive yours. It will be immediately obvious if there's a problem.

Either that, or I'm almost exactly an hour from you (in the direction of your coach) Pop over, and we'll see if there's a problem.
SamWise
BXpert

Post by SamWise »

We'll definitely have to do one of those, if only to meet one of the Citroenati! DLM is going to have a drive for me, and also let me have a wheeltrim, and he's even closer, but I'd also love to meet the legendary Mr Rutherford!

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

SamWise wrote:Really? Must be very nearby! I picked up the car today, good little run home, and it's not as bad as I thought. I still think it should be a bit more urgent though, I'm not sure it's faster than my 2.1 XM. We shall see - that aside, it's an absolute pleasure to drive.
Yeah you can just about see the barn on the right from the A36 as you approach from Soton.

I always thought the XM 2.1TD was actually quicker overall than a BX TD anyway?
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
SamWise
BXpert

Post by SamWise »

Well if it should be, then great. My reasoning (and I've not looked into the figures) is there's a general opinion on the XM forum that the 2.1 TD is "a mobile traffic calming measure" and the BX TZD is "a proper little pocket rocket". I should go research the figures....

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

SamWise
BXpert

Post by SamWise »

It appears the BX should be a little under a second quicker from 0-60, so maybe all is well. It certainly won't be a million miles from that. I'd say the XM is quicker to 20 or 30, even with all that weight, but the BX feels quicker 40-60.

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

No I'm gonna set myself up for a fall here but I followed Mrs Bandit in the Xanty 2.1 whilst I was in the 16v and whilst she just planted her foot, I had to change from 5th to 3rd to keep up!

In other words, the BX is quicker on paper 0-60, but the lack of torque and slow turbo spool up time of the BX lets it down. Another way of putting it I've just thought is that the 2.1 is more forgiving in the 'oh fuck I need to go fast now' department, whereas the BX needs a little more focus with regard to keeping it in the right gear for optimum performance.

God that was dull...........just floor the bastard!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
SamWise
BXpert

Post by SamWise »

Yeah, the 2.1 is definitely torquier low down, and the Xant must be lighter than the XM; I'd imagine that'd go some. I'd expect with a valver to have to keep it on cam, but less so with a TD, even a 1.7. Regardless, I'll be very happy with the performance if that's how it's supposed to go, it's a nice car, and plenty fast enough, comfortable, everything I want. Although the idea of increasing the boost in search of 120 bhp is tempting.....

1994 2.1TD Citroen XM

docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I had a 2.1TD automatic XM (twas a fricking lovely car until the engine shit itself out all over Gloucester!) and it felt quicker off the line than my fairly well tuned 17TD BX.

Next time I'm down your way in the tD, or next time your up this way as per DLM and the ever legendary Dorsets finest son have a go in mine. It's probably the fastest TD there is.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

SamWise wrote:Yeah, the 2.1 is definitely torquier low down, and the Xant must be lighter than the XM; I'd imagine that'd go some. I'd expect with a valver to have to keep it on cam, but less so with a TD, even a 1.7. Regardless, I'll be very happy with the performance if that's how it's supposed to go, it's a nice car, and plenty fast enough, comfortable, everything I want. Although the idea of increasing the boost in search of 120 bhp is tempting.....
Sam - get a Bosch pump - really. The difference is very noticeable off boost and will give plenty of torque. One has popped up on ebay from time to time for about £40. Well worth the money. Else find a Xantia/pug 405/406/306 Bosch (later ones have elektrikery which you may want to avoid). You'll need injectors and pipes to match. It'll be a better and less stressful (for the engine) upgrade than upping the boost
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue