wanted ' exhaust epansion chamber'

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
chriscarterstevens
BXpert

Post by chriscarterstevens »

ok so quite close then, a nice run really.

is it a bad idea to drive the car as it is would you say? gum gum crap dnt work, its like i got 2 backboxes the hole is quite big and it smells :roll:

dnt wanna die on way to work, or do i :?:
Cartman

1985 BX 19 GT
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I would get it sorted asap Chris, you can get 3 points for driving a car in that state plus it will blunt the performance and probably send you deaf!
chriscarterstevens
BXpert

yes that was my sentiment exactly tim.

shall get it done asap.
Cartman

1985 BX 19 GT
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Chris you can have that middle box I have got for nowt but it is a bigger bore (from a 16v) butif you can make it fit its yours gratis and I can drop it off sunday with the otherits
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Since when can a blowing exhaust get you three points? Sounds like a Kwik Fit sales speach to me, and a damn good way to earn some extra revenue when people are all brasic!

I even checked (since mine has been blowing since the MOT);

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_069870

Not one mention of points for a minor vehicle fault. So unless you get stopped by VOSA, who will probably give a warning, you'll be legally fine.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Bloody hell, Vanny, where did you appear from! Long time no post (unless I've missed something) - trust all is well 8)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

If the car is not in a roadworthy state you can get fined, bald tyres, cracked screens and blowing leaking exhausts fall under that catagory.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

ho ho ho no, if the car is DANGEROUS you get points, ie bald tires, cracked windscreen etc and you get a fine. You get a warning if the car is defective (ie tail light out, blowing exhaust etc) and only get a FINE if you fail to repair in a timely manner, you do NOT get points for a duff box, especially as a box can just blow without warning while bald tires take a long time to achieve.

PC, got a job, moved county, bought a house, little time to play on the internet, but got a few days off so will enjoy them!
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Roverman wrote:If the car is not in a roadworthy state you can get fined, bald tyres, cracked screens and blowing leaking exhausts fall under that catagory.
Bald tyres are clearly dangerous and will most likely get you 3 points each. A blowing exhaust will get you a 14-day fix-it notice, and that's if the police officer is in a bad mood. Cracked screen the same... unless it's a massive smash right in your field of vision, it's highly unlikely to get you a fine.
this might be a signature
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

sweet, thats more along the lines i was thinking. Was worried that 'Roverman' might know something i didn't, its hard to tell sometimes!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

*Welcome back Vanny!
Vauxhall apologist.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

*cheers honey, got a few days off so thought i might have a brief visit!

Chris, you can typically get a jack and stand set for £20 to £25, well worth it in my opinion, and dont throw the jack if it starts to not pump as high, just flush the hydraulic fluid!

I've had a couple of sets of ramps of free cycle too!
chriscarterstevens
BXpert

hi vanny,

thanks for all the opinions and advice, have heard much about you from doc 8)

tim, i shall appreciate that middle box, it may well fit, is worth a go in any case... anyone who knows otherwise, feel free to correct me :!:
Cartman

1985 BX 19 GT
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

does the 16v box not have flanged unions, while the 1.4 will have slip unions? In which case you might have to weld the whole kit and caboodle together or replace the question mark and the back box? Can't say i've been under a 1.4 in quite a while though!
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Vanny wrote:does the 16v box not have flanged unions, while the 1.4 will have slip unions? In which case you might have to weld the whole kit and caboodle together or replace the question mark and the back box? Can't say i've been under a 1.4 in quite a while though!
Yes, I believe so the box will have the flanges, as did the GTI and the TD, which would serve to make it a harder adaptation job than bodging up your existing box would be...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski