TZD TURBO ESTATE

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
tim leech

TZD TURBO ESTATE

Post by tim leech »

cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Seems ok that, Tim, but obviously some close ups of the bodywork from all sides would help.
Certainly sounds like it`s been looked after, are you going to have a stab at it? If you get your latest eBay find done up and tested could you sell it to make way for this one?
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Thats the plan Billy, would be nice to sell a BX and not make a loss for a change, but am going to sit tight on this one for the time being and see whats what.

Will be in for its MOT in a week or so, in the mean time theres the usual valeting and dashbulbs issues to attend too! :D
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Depending where this goes auction-wise I might take a punt. It ticks quite a few boxes for me: Diesel, Green, Estate, post-1990 and (it would seem) not a shed.

I've never owned a TZD, and from what I hear they are good. :lol:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, couldn't resist! :wink:
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Me neither until yesterday, from what Ive experienced on the 35 mile drive home Im impressed with the power.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

If it's the car I'm thinking of, then it's had the works done to it by Lloyd over a long period of time - and Lloyd knows what he's doing (he used to run a red 16v when I used him for repairs).

I can vouch for his head-replacement work to the tune of 45k miles after he did a head-job on a previous BX of mine before rust claimed it. Possibly will have had some welding around the nearside rear hatch hinge, but should be a very, very well-sorted car mechanically. Likely to be worth the money, and more.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, it has been withdrawn from the auction (and I was the highest bidder :( ). I don't know why, but I can guess it was sold. Shame 'cos I understood that it was going to run to the end of auction. Otherwise I would have made a bl**dy offer. Oh well. That's (eBay) life/ There'll be another along, no doubt. (I know there's one in Derby so I should keep an eye on it, although I really want a green one).
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

There's an old saying which says " he who hesitates is lost" :oops: sorry.

But as a forum member, he advertised his car for sale on here, you would have thought he would have given people on here a fair chance to buy it.

Well, I hope he buys a Xantia now. He deserves it :lol:

There's always Cavmad 19td if you really want one. :D
They think it's all over, it is now!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Cheers, Ken. I did ask specifically whether the auction would run its course and I was told it would. Must've been a good price someone offered! Anyway, no hard feelings, the seller (Hi!) sounded a decent chap and a Citroen fan. So can't complain too much :D

I will now bide my time... and be ready to strike another time... (I do fancy a green TZS, TZi (that'd have to be auto and/or aircon!) or TZD Estate :lol: )
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Philip chidlow wrote:Well, it has been withdrawn from the auction (and I was the highest bidder :( ). I don't know why, but I can guess it was sold. Shame 'cos I understood that it was going to run to the end of auction. Otherwise I would have made a bl**dy offer. Oh well. That's (eBay) life/ There'll be another along, no doubt. (I know there's one in Derby so I should keep an eye on it, although I really want a green one).
Phil, i could probably take a look at this one in Derby for you. Let me know.
Over and out from me
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

PM sent Ian, cheers
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Let me tell you all a little story.

I'm currently repairing the rot in a friends Range Rover, which is taking a lot longer than expected, as there's a lot of rot.

In the meantime, he's been in need of a car, and it got to the point that we needed to get him one fairly quickly. So of course I suggested a BX. Definitely a diesel, definitely an estate, and if we could find one without a factory sunroof, then so much the better (he's 6'3"+ and needs a lot of headroom!)

A quick glance on ebay showed a couple of local ones, including this one. Being as this one looked the nicer, we went and had a look at it. Had a look over it, drove it etc. Nice car, but we made the mistake of looking at it in failing light (and eventually darkness)

While doing all this, we realised that we needed to get a taxed and MOT'd car very quickly indeed (like within 24h) so being as it has both, made an offer on it, had a bit of a bargaining session, and bought it there and then.

The seller was a little reluctant to remove it from eBay, but with the offer we'd made, and the price that eBay BX's go for, it was worth his while to end the listing, and being as we needed a car quick, it was worth the larger offer.

So... My apologies to everyone (especially Philip) who was watching/bidding on this car, but at least it has now brought another person into the BX group!

As for the car. Well...... you're never supposed to look at a car at night are you... and this is a prime example of why not.

Mechanically the car is reasonable. Not great, just reasonable. In spite of all the engine work, someone has been a little slap-dash under the bonnet, as there are various cables not connected, the D-gasket between the intercooler and intake manifold had been siliconed back together, and hence whistled really badly under load. The injection pump needs setting up properly, as the idle speed is set on "power" rather than "speed" too much, and hence varies dramatically depending on whether the pump is in recurculate or pump mode. All manner of brackets and clips are missing/broken, and a lot of the pipes are badly routed.

Also, both rear arm bearings are fubar, the front struts are stiff, the ride height is high at the front and MUCH too high at the back, and the tracking is out. The front Spheres are also a little hard, and have witness marks to show that they've been nabbed off another car.

My biggest worry though, is the tailgate hinge that DLM mentioned above. This is that self-same car, and the welding is not great. Actually, it's rubbish as the tailgate is about 15mm out on that side, and hence the tailgate doesn't close properly. I'm going to have to re-repair that area and get the hinge point in the right place.

And on top of all that the tyres on it are LETHAL in the wet!

All in all, they're all repairable problems, and it won't take too much, but if I'd had my sensible hat on, we would not have bought it. Phil; there are better cars out there!

But then again, it did come pre-fitted with a www.BXCLUB.co.uk sticker in the back window, and it does have 4 months rent and 11 months ticket, so the price paid was probably about right. And it means my friend is mobile again until I get his Rangie sorted.

Given a few months time, this car may well be back up for sale, with most (if not all) of the problems listed above sorted

Ah well.
this might be a signature
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

No worries, matey! I think you have saved me from a heck of a lot of hurt. But, when you've done what needs doing, it seems to me you'll have a decent enough BX there. I am (considerably!) less able to take on the jobs you mention so it's gone to a better home...

At least it's in the best colour for an estate (IMHO)...

I will bide my time and get as much a 'minter' as I can find... I think I'll wait until next year though, as something else has taken my fancy... :D

Again. No need to apologise! 8)
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Hmmm..... only just caught up with this thread. The underbonnet work doesn't sound like Lloyd, as he's normally meticulous, but I know he went a bit over budget on the engine rehab - or someone else may have been in there since. It was about 3 years ago that I last saw this car......
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.