My 'old' 16v...

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

My 'old' 16v...

Post by Philip Chidlow »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0290142890

I wish I could afford money and space to buy it back!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Looks nice, is that what valvers cost?
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, pre-recession, back in March/April 2008 I sold that car for £1350 - although it had recently had over £1,100 spent on it (and I know I rather griped on about it at the time, but now know I should've shut up :lol: :wink: ). I wish I hadn't had to sell it but I most definately did so I can't moan now.

It has had quite a few owners. No one really knows why as it is by no means a dog. It just seems it may be a bit jinxed :D :roll: as soon after acquiring it a new owner's circumstances conspire to 'move it on'. Who knows?

It drove REALLY well when I sold it and apart from the slight damage to the rear bumper there was nothng on my 'to do list'...

Whether this car is worth £1,300 now, we'll have to see. It's certainly a lot of performance/exclusivity for your money. But it is, at the end of the day, a BX and prices are still depressed...
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Hmmm... would make a nice sister for my car :lol:

I'd say that car is worth a grand, as it stands, considering how much you put into it Phil.

I'm glad this turned up now, and not in a couple of weeks or so, as I might have done something a bit silly after payday :wink:
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Hi Philip.
First can I state what stunning looking 16v BX that once made up part of your BX stable.
I've looked at this posting a couple of times (as the looks of the front end didn't seem standard) and this is not a criticism BUT an observation.
Could you please take a look at the 'E' bay listing and confirm that the car still has the same bonnet and grill on it whilst it was in your possession or has it been change ?
To me it seems to be a bit of a hybrid set up !
It looks to me that at some stage in its life its had a long nosed bonnet fitted to it, but shortened slightly to accommodate only the lower of the two grill bars that's normally fitted to the 16v model !
As a full long nose bonnet has NO grill bars attached into the inner grill/backing holder assembly and the normal short nose bonnet has two grill bars.

I've also checked the brochure (dated 1/5/91) which shows a short nose bonnet with the two grill bars for the 16v model.
Last edited by RxBX on Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

RxBX wrote: to me it seems to be a bit of a hybrid set up !
It looks to me that at some stage in its life its had a long nosed bonnet fitted to it, but shortened slightly
You're observations are likely correct RxBx.

This has been pointed out in the past by others and most recently to Ascot Valver in his ownership!
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

You're right, it has a non-original long nose bonnet. Did when I got it. I would try to find a short-nose if I still had it. I'm not entirely sure about the seemingly superfluous slapping on of red paint (post my ownership), but each to their own.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Hi Phil,

get that car bought, it would make a really great car for the Bxagon :D :D
If not you then hopefully the buyer.I see someone has already bid.

regards Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

It was a very good example when a previous owner (Mickey) had it so unless it's detioriated since he owned it it should be a good un.
Vauxhall apologist.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Mickey had indeed kept it in generally good condition but even so (and as with any 'newly acquired' BX I guess), it really did need a lot of work. The bodywork was in exceptional condition and engine was sweeeet, so not a complete disappointment! And I was in a good position to judge (thanks to support from an expert) what was needed - and it was me parting with the cash (I wasn't keen to spend money that didn't need spending!) :lol:

But that's history, and a lot of water has passed under the bridge since so I bear no ill-will and I'm certainly glad to see the car in good order (as far as I know) today.

If money and space (and time) were not an issue I might well 'buy it back'... but i think I'll have to let it pass :(
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Philip Chidlow wrote: (cambelt, rear arm bearings - both sides, spheres all round, a couple of return pipes and tyres)
... which are all service items on a BX. Surely you would have known about all of these before you bought the car?
this might be a signature
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I don't want to go over this again David. It was done to death a year ago.

Ta.

PS I did edit my listing before your response appeared, because upon reflection I believe nothing much would be achieved by raking over old coals on a public forum.

It would be OK to discuss in private, however.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

The most important thing is that you pulled all the tat off that he stuck to it! Each to their own etc, but sometimes someone's own is questionable :lol:

Mind you, I just bought my 6th Saxo, so who am I to judge?! :P

Gotta be one of the more overpriced ones IMO. A cracked rear bumper and the wrong bonnet (and one you'll not likely find a same-colour proper one anytime soon either) and he wants £1350? It's not worth a grand from where I'm sitting, although no denying it's probably a good one. But if that's what he's holding out for I think he'd better get used to the idea of it hanging around.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Whether this car is worth £1,300 now, we'll have to see... it is, at the end of the day, a BX and prices are still depressed...
I got a good price for it - but that was in 'pre-credit crunch days' so I guess, realistically, you might be right, Kitch. :(
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I wouldn't say it was ever worth £1300 to be honest Phil, not being funny like.
You never get back your investment in a car if you pay people to repair them first.

I wouldn't pay more than three figures for any BX, except a 4TC road car. Or possibly a Sport...although cool as they are, they're not as good as a valver so why would I pay more for something thats worse, just because it's cool?

Thats another topic anyway :lol: