Rusty BX

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Rusty BX

Post by Philip Chidlow »

On eBay

Unusual seats! I've never seen those style before...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1993-Citroen-BX-1 ... 0358689329
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Back ones right enough but the fronts, I've not seen those before :shock:

The car itself seems to have weathered well for the mileage but somehow I think it's probably reached the end :(
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Wow, I'm loving those seats!
They've got to be home made though surely?
They look like Monza material stitched to, er, some other material. But I'm liking them alot!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I removed the more sporty front seats and fitted standard front seats. The centre panels are the original velour but the rest of the front seats are covered in a material which no longer looks as black as the original.
Someone who likes their comfort, methinks. But it's TXD diagonal-pattern material as the seller describes above. An example of what can be done with worn "bucket" seats if you have old covers as a template (and have the requisite textile skills or access to some kind of trimmer/upholsterer). Maybe even possible if you - or your partner - are a dab hand with a sewing machine......

As for the car... well it seems only viable for someone who's very committed, has their own Mig and an awful lot of time on their hands, if the failure and advisory sheets are an accurate representation of the state of play. A ground-up job....

Inner wing (see underbonnet pic), pillars and/or sills, exhaust hanger (maybe) must be corroded somewhere, at the very least - not to mention the subframe mount note on the fail list. Fair play to the seller for including the list.

The inner roof rust from sunroof-leakthrough condensation must be bad as well to be bubbling through. I don't think I've seen that before, though I've seen metal sunroof internals in a quite advanced state of decomposition.

A shame, as elsewhere it appears very shiny and presentable. like an even-higher-mileage TXD I owned some years back that was going the same rusty way in out-of-sight places. There's no mention of boot floor corrosion apart from possibly the rear-pipe hanger area, which is perhaps surprisingly given what seems to have happened elsewhere.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

docchevron1472 wrote:Wow, I'm loving those seats!
They've got to be home made though surely?
They look like Monza material stitched to, er, some other material. But I'm liking them alot!
Defo, worth £100 for them seats alone! 8)
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

I'm inclined to agree, since I cant stitch / sow to save my life, if only the back seats were done the same way that would be uber cool!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d

Post by DLM »

Leaving aside the differences between split and one-piece back seats for a moment, BX back seats have the same basic make-up in terms of the shape of panels used, and use the same basic cover template pretty much regardless of model.

It'd get a bit involved to mirror that front-seat mod, as you'd need an insert-within-an-insert approach to make a change to the existing rectangular-shaped patterned insert panel.There are wire-rod, plastic and string(!) underpinnings to consider too on the base, as well as some dismantling of the upright to free the fabric panels there.

As you've probably guessed, I've dissected a couple in the interests of science - or excessive curiosity anyway.

Coming shortly - knit your own octopus, and creative crochet to make an lhm-tank cosy for those chilly nights...
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

DLM wrote:Coming shortly - knit your own octopus, and creative crochet to make an lhm-tank cosy for those chilly nights...
Hi Dave,
What were you on last -night ? :lol: , All the best for now and take care !
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

DLM wrote:
Coming shortly - knit your own octopus, and creative crochet to make an lhm-tank cosy for those chilly nights...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whatever he's on, I want the same!

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

docchevron1472 wrote:
DLM wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whatever he's on, I want the same!

If I can make new pipes for my 16v I will be well happy as I can knit! :lol:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

What were you on last -night ?
Intoxicant-free, just the usual twisted mental processes...
frugg
BXpert

Post by frugg »

All i can say is that this BX won't be rusty for too long...

F.

8)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Yeah! :lol:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
frugg
BXpert

Post by frugg »

A mate has bought it and he will be doing it up and running it :)

Another BX Saved :D

F.