choke

BX Tech talk
charlie
BXpert

choke

Post by charlie »

have just read sleepys post about converting to a manual choke and wanted, funnily enough to go the other way...

put a manual choke on my 19tzs about two years ago but never really been happy with it...

i have a solex carb on it at the moment but was wondering what bits and pieces would i need to reconvert...

or would i be better off switching to a weber auto choke carb....

charlie
yes.....
the colour is....
guiness white..........
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

I presume you or someone else discarded the redundant bits when you converted. Your best bet might be to get an auto choke from a scrapped BX and possibly the hot water rubber pipes as well. As a matter of interest, what problems do you have with the manual choke ? I have a Weber carb on my second BX and it's choke is pretty good.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

Do a swap with Sleepy... ?
David

BX19TXD 150k K Reg
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Yes please i will have the manual choke kit off you if its up for grabs If necissary i can get an auto choke from the scrappers for you if i can find one or we could possible work something out as mine has a fully working auto choke.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
charlie
BXpert

Post by charlie »

right where to start...

sleepy, your more then welcome to the manual choke...

its works ok i suppose but the reason i want the auto back is that i always seem to be stalling or over reving when i push or pull the choke...

anyways i still have the hoses connected and have found...

a two inch spring???

and the T shaped alloy thing that bolts on to the carb and connects the two hoses...

what other bits do i need???

charlie
yes.....
the colour is....
guiness white..........
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

The 2 inch spring sounds like the big spring that opposes the waxstat. Does the T shaped thing still have the waxstat in it ?

I managed to install my manual choke without removing the big spring. I figured out a way of keeping the spring fully and permanently compressed, so that it has no effect. I also managed to secure the waxstat in it housing, so that the housing still sits between the two hot water pipes. This way I can easily go back to autochoke if I want to, but I'm fairly pleased with the manual choke.

If you and Sleepy swap, wouldn't you just swap complete chokes and any needed pipes ?
David

BX19TXD 150k K Reg
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

As a matter of interest do you actually save any fuel with the manual choke or just think you do?
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

I've never tried to measure it, but I'd be very surprised if there wasn't some saving as most of my driving consists of short local trips. With the old autochoke the mixture would stay rich for ages but with the manual choke I can set the strangler almost to the vertical within less than a minute, so I am using the choke more as an accelerator adjustment than anything else. Before it used to run at about 1500rpm for ages but now I can drop it down to less than 1000 almost immediately. I really like the fine control it gives me.
David

BX19TXD 150k K Reg
charlie
BXpert

Post by charlie »

theres no waxstat...

i remember mine was sticking hence the original change and i threw it away...

i suppose at the end of the day, for me right now, it a matter of trusting the autochoke to work as it should rather then relying on my own hamfistidness to find the right level by playing with a manual lever...
but hey what do i know...

give me a few more years and i'll probably want to change back again :? :?

charlie
yes.....
the colour is....
guiness white..........
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

It's interesting that your waxstat was sticking, the French chap on sleepy's post seemed to be advocating lubrication of the waxstat drive rod as a sticky choke cure.

You will need to verify that your pulldown is working properly before you reinstall the autochoke. If it's not working properly you will get engine spluttering and possibly idle cutout for the first few minutes until the engine starts to warm up. See http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1478 for a description. You should be able to observe the pulldown causing the strangler flap to move about a 1/4". You can get around a faulty pulldown with a manual choke by dabbing the peddle when the engine fires and then pushing the choke button in a bit.
David

BX19TXD 150k K Reg
charlie
BXpert

Post by charlie »

and i seem to remember that the waxstat was all stained....

anyways thanks for the tip 8)

will now get in touch with sleepy and see about a swop...

will give the solex carb a a go and if im still not happy move onto a weber

charlie
yes.....
the colour is....
guiness white..........