Any known problems with LPG BX19

BX Tech talk
charlotte001

Any known problems with LPG BX19

Post by charlotte001 »

Anyone know of specific issues relating to fitting LPG to the BX 19 ? I do insane miles per year ie 40k++ so LPG would be ideal, I can get a conversion for around £500 from Tinley Tech in Bourne lincs. Even if I go for the Diesel that can still run LPG mix

Charlotte001
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Re: Any known problems with LPG BX19

Post by DavidRutherford »

charlotte001 wrote:Even if I go for the Diesel that can still run LPG mix
Which doesn't actually save you any money, just makes the engine more powerful, thus using more fuel, and wearing it out faster.

... and you then have two fuels to not run out of, one of which not being available everywhere.
this might be a signature
charlotte001

Post by charlotte001 »

You are right there, can't see the point of Diesel/LPG either ill wait
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

40k+ blimey :shock: Are you a tyre tester :lol: .

LPG sounds like a plan if you intend to keep your petrol, however, have you thought of going diesel instead & running a twin tank set-up & use veg oil which can be purchased for 56p/l or filter your own used veg oil from a suitable source for around 10p/l?

Work out some cost savings of the equipment & fitting costs if you have to get someone else to do them.

Veg oil kits are around the £400 mark not including fitting.

I've recently purchased a VOW heater system, not as good as the twin tank system, but a damn site cheaper at £40 inc p&p, once its fitted i will be reporting back on how good it is & how much money i'll be saving.

I should hopefully be able to use approx 70% veg oil to diesel, so a basic cost saving would be:

50 litres of diesel @ £108.9 = £54.45

35 litres of veg oil @ £0.56 = £19.60
15 litres of diesel @ £108.9 = £16.34
Total = £35.94

Difference saved = £18.51 per usual fill up

So if i did 40k a year, that would equate to (assuming a modest 45mpg) that would save me approx £1480

Gets you thinking doesnt it :lol:
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Sorry, I can't offer any specific help with a BX 1.9 LPG conversion, but I haven't heard anything bad about Tinley Tech as a seller of gas kits.

I fitted an LPG kit to a car of mine fairly recently, not too complex a job but I went for underfloor tanks which took a bit of time. That and getting the pipework neat and well protected. I would work on the basis of 2 good weekends if you are doing it on your own.
Bear in mind that you will lose a little performance unless you go for a gas injection kit, I find the difference is slight but noticeable. Also you will need to make sure the ignition system is in top notch condition as any problems may well manifest themselves in backfires withing the inlet manifold.
I find that filling up is frustartingly slow compared with petrol, some pumps are better than others.
Lastly, in may sound obvious but will there be convenient LPG stations? If your 40k a year takes in a lot of new places it can be a bit of a pain having to plan your route around filling stations.

The above may sound a little negative but I WOULD do the conversion again if required. I just feel it's important not to just listen to the viewpoints given by the sellers, which tends to be all you hear when chosing a kit.
velosolex50
Confirmed BX'er

Post by velosolex50 »

I did a 19trs auto with a tartarini kit about 10 years ago. Very successful, but noticeable loss of power and mpg. I have just fitted a tinley tech kit to an old jag, the kit is of good quality and the instructions are helpful. You will probably need a certificate from a qualified installer to keep your insurance happy, and this can be tricky to get as not all installers like to check a diy job. Apart from the cost savings, the engine is smoother & the exhaust as clean as a catalyzed car, none of the acrid exhaust smell.
Good luck.
Huw
BXrunner

LPG

Post by BXrunner »

Charlotte today I fitted the Tinley Tech LPG kit to Lumpy using the special citroen tank only thing I find is the engine seems a little weak so having to have the mixture redone tomorrow also seems a loss in power lumpy wont rev to 6000 now changes all gears at 4000/4500

will keep you notified on this oh and no problem getting LPG in suffolk/norfolk/cambs
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: LPG

Post by Way2go »

BXrunner wrote:Charlotte today I fitted the Tinley Tech LPG kit
Which kit type did you use?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
BXrunner

LPG

Post by BXrunner »

I fitted the single point open loop one for £440 collected.

Single-point, open-loop induction system, single carburettor (includes tank, filler etc)
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Interesting, so I suppose after approximately 18 tank tankfulls you will have recouped the capital cost and start to make real savings over running on petrol. :D
It would take me longer as I guess I will need the multipoint kit for Injection being as mine is the GTi.
1991 BX19GTi Auto