bx 16 TGS Meteor Auto wont start for some time

BX Tech talk
cacaolat
BXpert

bx 16 TGS Meteor Auto wont start for some time

Post by cacaolat »

The same thing happend to me a couple of weeks ago. (a rare day with snow) I start the car and accidentally let the engine die after 30 seconds or so. After that the engine wont start. Last time I have tried for about 15 minutes until the battery became weak. I did not do anything but the next day it started fine again. My first thought was that too much petrol went into the engine ? since then the starter motor had an additional strange sound ? or is it the aternator ?
the same thing has just happened again. :?
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

Next time it won't start, check that the spark is still there.

An easy way to do that is to tune the radio to the medium wave band so that is not on any station and you should be able to hear the spark with the volume turned up. Or you can do the same thing with a transistor portable radio placed in the passenger footwell. Check what it sounds like when the car is working so that you will know the difference.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

Thank you, that seems an interesting way of checking for a spark...I will try it tomorrow morning :arrow:
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

My 16TZS was the same matey, autocoke isnt working right and its overfuelling and the car getting flooded. When you start them from cold DONT touch the throttle, once they have been started and you come to start it again before its fully warm you will need to keep you foot fully depressed until it goes.

Sounds like the carb needs setting up to me.
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

yes I realised that...autochoke is crap on that car....it really drives badly the first few minutes...
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Mine is exactly the same. It runs rough at cold startup and I have to use accelerator assistance to keep the engine running and it makes a pulsing noise like thrum - thrum - thrum - thrum... and eventually settles down. Once on the move, it's very easy to stall when approaching roundabouts/junctions because the revs fall below 600 tr/m. Only way to avoid all this hassle is to warm up the engine nicely before setting off.

But yeah, a couple of times I've stalled very soon after cold startup and the engine's been impossible to restart... (no foot on accelerator) until I tried depressing and holding the accelerator fully to open the de-flooding mechanism. I think it would benefit from new HT leads (already has new plugs, cap and rotor arm) before I point a further finger at the autochoke - the operation of which I improved greatly a few months ago. Also it doesn't help that the HP pump is in almost constant operation which drags the idle revs down slightly (needs a new accumulator and probably a ballvalve re-seat).

My old Meteor was worse when it started exhibiting headgasket problems. The only way to restart after a very short journey was to jam a screwdriver down the throat of the carb to keep the strangler flap open and then try. Before I found out that I once got stranded with a flat battery with four friends in the car.....

Good luck with yours!

Mark.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

What he says!
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

I tried to listen for a spark, the sound of the radio changed completely, but it did not sound like a spark.
The problem is exactly like Mark says. It has only happened twice until now but at the next servicing I will try to get them to look at it. meanwhile I check out the Haynes manual and try to find out what HT leads are....(sorry only know the very basics when it comes to cars)

:oops:
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I would get some new spark plug leads, ditributor cap, and spark plugs and get them fitted as it wont hurt.
Doz
BXpert

Post by Doz »

My 16TXS was (is?) the same .... see the Miles per gallon thread... I'll post something there I found on an Aussie site earlier, there's lots to do and check...
Doz

2007 Citroen C1 (it's not a real Citroen)(With a complete set of wheel trims)
2006 C4 1.6VTR+ (Alloys no wheel trims)
1982 Mini HL (No wheel trims, no wheels)
1993 Kawasaki GPZ500
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

Yes please mate! :D

Mark.
Doz
BXpert

Post by Doz »

Posted on the Miles per gallon thread

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 6&start=60

Looks like a weekends work .....

... does this get me out of painting the hallway ????
Doz

2007 Citroen C1 (it's not a real Citroen)(With a complete set of wheel trims)
2006 C4 1.6VTR+ (Alloys no wheel trims)
1982 Mini HL (No wheel trims, no wheels)
1993 Kawasaki GPZ500
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

:lol:

That gives me some more things to look at - thanks!

In return here is a collection of some old posts on autochoke problems:

http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1366
http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1478
http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3977
http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4276

Regards,

Mark.
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

by the way, my engine also cuts out sometimes...for a second only, but rather annoying, could this be related
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

I love diesels :D :D no autochoke, ignition systems, etc - they just go :D
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter