My BX14 RE

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
David
BXpert

Re: My BX14 RE

Post by David »

RobC wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:13 am
It does seem a bit strange- but I do find that it’s easy enough to do one pass of the screen without any washer fluid appearing, since it takes so long to pump from the front to back of the car.
Would obviously prefer a normal latched intermittent though.

Out of interest… How does the wash work on the estate- do you have to keep it held in? (Sorry to derail thread).
Yeah, I always found it a bit strange that the wiper can't be made to stay on too. Every other old car that I've been in has always had a way of making the wiper stay on, even if it's constant. (The old Fiat Uno springs to mind, where it was just constant on or off & it had a separate switch just for the washer pump).

Yes, in the estate, you have to hold the switch down to make it wash the window, so the same as the hatchback in that respect, but if you just press it & let go, then it clicks & turns the intermittent wipe on; similar to the neighbouring switches really.

Back OT, Another way to stop the washer pump every time that you press the switch would be to cut it's wire, & then put a momentary switch between the cut wire & live, so you'd have separate switches for the wiper & washer.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).

Fumbler
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen BX14 RE
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

David wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:13 am
RobC wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:13 am
It does seem a bit strange- but I do find that it’s easy enough to do one pass of the screen without any washer fluid appearing, since it takes so long to pump from the front to back of the car.
Would obviously prefer a normal latched intermittent though.

Out of interest… How does the wash work on the estate- do you have to keep it held in? (Sorry to derail thread).
Yeah, I always found it a bit strange that the wiper can't be made to stay on too. Every other old car that I've been in has always had a way of making the wiper stay on, even if it's constant. (The old Fiat Uno springs to mind, where it was just constant on or off & it had a separate switch just for the washer pump).

Yes, in the estate, you have to hold the switch down to make it wash the window, so the same as the hatchback in that respect, but if you just press it & let go, then it clicks & turns the intermittent wipe on; similar to the neighbouring switches really.

Back OT, Another way to stop the washer pump every time that you press the switch would be to cut it's wire, & then put a momentary switch between the cut wire & live, so you'd have separate switches for the wiper & washer.
Indeed I could, but I just want the wiper to be toggled on and off, for parking and manual intermittent wiping.

Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

PXL_20210804_174756025.jpg
The offside steering rack gaiter has decided to not be one this week. I have a spare but I'm wondering how involved getting to it will be. It'll need doing ASAP so I don't condemn the whole rack.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 65 Peugeot Boxer van 160k
Ven red tzd turbo 294k it will live again
Nissan Micra K13 the wife's run around

Post by rutter123 »

If its non pa's it's a piece of cake, just unscrew the track rod end from the rack, make a note of locknut position.
You can use cable ties to secure new boot access a little easier from underneath unless you have fingers of wizard I have a couple of new boots here if u want for the price of postage
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability

Fumbler
BXpert
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

rutter123 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:07 pm
If its non pa's it's a piece of cake, just unscrew the track rod end from the rack, make a note of locknut position.
You can use cable ties to secure new boot access a little easier from underneath unless you have fingers of wizard I have a couple of new boots here if u want for the price of postage
Cheers for that, I have a spare carried over from then the nearside was done. It's non-PAS which is a great help. What I've done for the moment is use a blob of superglue to hold it together and then place gaffa tape over the split. The roads on my commuite to work have just been resurfaced and I travel along the seafront for a small part of the journey so I'd like to keep as much material out as possible.