BX MPG Chart 1991

Anything about BXs
Brian
BXpert

BX MPG Chart 1991

Post by Brian »

In the light of the rising fuel costs, I dug out the Fuel Consumption Test showing the BX and others.

I am sure some of you have this information, but for those who don't, may be of some interest.

I have scanned and reduced to a reasonable size, I think it is just legible.

stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I misread the topic as MP3 chart - I had no idea what the thread was going to be about!

My TZD Turbo Estate does rather worse than the chart suggests in town, but better at 75 - which is what I tend to use it for, so that's good. I have no intention of ever finding out what it achieves at a steady 56mph, life's too short!
velosolex50
Confirmed BX'er

Post by velosolex50 »

Interesting how good the autos are compared to equivalent manuals. Much better than the 10% extra consumption usually quoted.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

stuart_hedges wrote:I misread the topic as MP3 chart - I had no idea what the thread was going to be about!

My TZD Turbo Estate does rather worse than the chart suggests in town, but better at 75 - which is what I tend to use it for, so that's good. I have no intention of ever finding out what it achieves at a steady 56mph, life's too short!
Show me the figures!

Mine did 41mpg on the last tank, which was fast motorway, and a piss-poor 36mpg the previous tank (urban and 'making time' motorway work...)

My previous BX, a TD hatch used to do about 44 on average, with 47 if I was going as gently as I could be arsed on a long run.

I'm sure I can do rather better with this one, just been doing lots of high-speed miles lately...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Sorry, Jonathan, I don't keep precise figures - I just brim the tank every time I fill it and calculate the mpg over the last tank. As a general rule I manage around 44-45mpg, a bit better if I happen to have done a lot of motorway miles on that tank and a lot worse if I've done a lot of town driving. Lowest I;ve ever seen was 32 on a tank where I drove across London three times...
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

stuart_hedges wrote:Sorry, Jonathan, I don't keep precise figures - I just brim the tank every time I fill it and calculate the mpg over the last tank. As a general rule I manage around 44-45mpg, a bit better if I happen to have done a lot of motorway miles on that tank and a lot worse if I've done a lot of town driving. Lowest I;ve ever seen was 32 on a tank where I drove across London three times...
Sounds about right, although that 32 must have hurt ;-)

I'm not (quite) sad enough to keep records either, just keeping a constant general monitor by brimming whenever I fill up and working it out just out of interest. To be fair, reseting the milometer gives a good guide; under 500 miles = bad, nearer 600 = good...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Most I've managed is around 550 - the light was starting to come on at times. (That was with the standard 1769cc engine).
Now I have started to keep track of the mpg I get mid to high 30s typically, with a best of 46mpg with mostly motorway driving. Worst I've seen from a tank (with the boosted 1.9) was 310 miles before the light came on...ouch.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

stuart_hedges wrote:As a general rule I manage around 44-45mpg,
Is that all? Pah!

*runs*
this might be a signature
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I think that I've got a pretty economical BX - the bloody thing does run on fumes. Being a relatively 'new' 1.9 n/a ( 40,000miles since 1985) I put in €35 ten days ago and I've covered almost 600 kms since then and it's on quarter - must be almost 60 to the gallon in Uk terms or 4.5 litres per 100km.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

toddao wrote:I think that I've got a pretty economical BX - the bloody thing does run on fumes. Being a relatively 'new' 1.9 n/a ( 40,000miles since 1985) I put in €35 ten days ago and I've covered almost 600 kms since then and it's on quarter - must be almost 60 to the gallon in Uk terms or 4.5 litres per 100km.
I'm pretty sure the older square port engines were a tad better on diesel. For a time the parents had two diesel BX estates, one square port, one round port, and the square port one was consistantly better on fuel with the same usage.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

jonathan_dyane wrote:I'm pretty sure the older square port engines were a tad better on diesel.
They were, mainly due to being 6hp less powerful. That's the reason that 1.9D 309's were so economic: They stuck with the square-port engine right up to 1992, and so always looked more economic than they would have been if they'd changed to the oval port engine.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Yellow low fuel light is now permanantely on, reading 670 miles on odometer, quite good? Thats in the txd by the way.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

25mpg urban? I can beat that! Got 18mpg the other day! :D

I've used £20 up in less than 115miles. Due to these slightly cheaper fuel costs, gone are the days where I could burn £20 of the planet's resources off in less than 100miles. I'll have to fire the TVR back up me thinks!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

MULLEY wrote:Yellow low fuel light is now permanantely on, reading 670 miles on odometer, quite good? Thats in the txd by the way.
That's quite exceptional, particular as the TXD didn't have the 'long range' tank. Wish I had the self control...
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

jonathan_dyane wrote:
MULLEY wrote:Yellow low fuel light is now permanantely on, reading 670 miles on odometer, quite good? Thats in the txd by the way.
That's quite exceptional, particular as the TXD didn't have the 'long range' tank. Wish I had the self control...
I suspect this car must have the long range tank, otherwise that's over 75mpg average, which I don't believe is physically possible.

With the long range tank it would be about 50mpg average, which seems much more like it.