French Car Show 2006!

Anything about BXs
classic2cv
BXpert

Post by classic2cv »

that’s sounds great tom

maybe we should organise a trip sometime in the spring/summer

then those who have only been to Calais can see that there is more to France that cheep booze
Citroen BX

Origami in plastic and steel

^^ ^^^^bx>
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

I expect that the club's proposed and currently, wholly unofficial rally which will involve a trip to Le Mans next August, may be up your rue . Many of our number are already plotting to be there.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I will be there as im not far away!
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Right yes this sounds good. Ive managed to miss it every year so far so I will make sure I get to this one. It will also give me an incentive to get on with this BX ive got to make it my daily driver.

BTW vanny; you mention a 405 MI16 with hydraulic rear suspension- Was that a standard thing or is this a modification. Im only asking as I remember seeing Peugeot 405 Mi16 spheres on Ebay some time ago, and they were in Peugeot labelled boxes.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Its only on the 4x4 version, the whole back end is identical to the BX one (well its exactly the same and taken directly from Citroen). This was done in order to carry the SAME rear transmission as found on the BX 4x4, basically Pug cut a HUGE corner to get the thing on the road. Personally i think it was a bit daft, as im sure they must have had the 205 T16 rear tranmission that surely couldnt have taken much to convert? It means that the 405 Mi16x4 has a reservoir and pump and loads of green blood making it a Citroen (well Cit engine and Cit tranmission, it must be good!)
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Of course some of the 205 rally cars used the hydraulic suspension as well.

jeremy
munfred

Post by munfred »

For those of you who arent sounding too sure, this is possibly one of the best value for money show in they year.
As already mentioned you do get the chav'ed up halford motors, but there are also alot of A1 standard, and tastefully modified motors.
Because of the track that is available there are more people who are interested in what the car can do attending, although people who went last year said that the sessions are more suited to the track virgin rather than the hardcore drivers mainly due to the amount of time you get.

What makes the show is the club presence. The majority of the show is owners cars. It tends to be more of a family show aswell, as for those who want it you can see as much flesh as you want, but it is a little more descrite unlike max pooer show.

The best thing is it is cheap to get into, and it is a good excuse to meet up with other members in the car clubs.
I own a saxo, but don't hold that against me. I now have a BX aswell ;)
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Vanny wrote:basically Pug cut a HUGE corner to get the thing on the road.
Not really a corner cut.

The problem with the original 405 rear suspension is that it uses torsion bars from side-to-side at the back of the vehicle, which would be completely in the way of any prop-shaft. Since the BX rear suspension crossmember doesn't have this problem, it was much more sensible to fit a "standard" crossmember, which was currently in the PSA line up, than to design a whole new rear suspension system for just a handful of cars.

Oddly, the 405 had many more options in terms of 4x4 equipment (torsen differentials etc) than the BX ever had. The differentials, while similar, aren't identical.

I *think* the 405 4x4 pre-dates the BX 4x4 too...
this might be a signature
tom
Citroen Sorceror

Post by tom »

Does it have the same unfortunate habit of killing all the cogs underneath or is it a good source of plunder for a BX, David?
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Whilst I've heard stories about the "standard" 4x4 system making nasty whirring noises (which is very similar to the BX... IE lockable centre diff) The MI16 4x4 system appears to be somewhat stronger. It uses a Torsen center differential, and has a limited slip rear diff, hence no manual control at all.

Would be very interesting to buy a "broken" BX4x4, and fit a 4x4 system from a crashed 405 MI16 4x4. Especially if you could also find a dead Pug 605/XM for it's 2.1TD engine. Would that be the ultimate BX?
tom
Citroen Sorceror

Post by tom »

Same thought occurred to me!
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

With regards to a hypermarket raid: I was planning to fo that in the BX soon anyway so I'll let you know when I'm going and anyone will be welcome!

As for smuggling in them... believe me, customs know all about BXs! I once saw a tv programme on cars which were auctioned off after being confiscated by customs. The BX had a good showing!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

DavidRutherford wrote:
Vanny wrote:basically Pug cut a HUGE corner to get the thing on the road.
Not really a corner cut. ...

Alright perhaps not cut a corner, but they did cheat and go for the easy option and steal the parts from the BX. I would have thought it would have been pretty easy to convert the rear beam from a 504?

The front diff on the 405 Mi16 is NOT the same as the bx (or so i've been told), and is the same as that on the 205 T16 and supposedly much improved! Now if you could get hold of one of them then you could be laughing!

Hows about a BX 4x4 with a V10 HDi (or what ever Jaguar are calling it)??

mmmmm
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Vanny wrote:I would have thought it would have been pretty easy to convert the rear beam from a 504?
The 504 has either a live rear axle on leaf springs, or a rather odd de-dion arrangement. Not exactly up-to-date technology, and more importantly were no longer in production in 1989. The rather clever arrangement on the back of the 406 was still about 5 years away from even appearing on someones drawing board, and so the only option was either a whole new system, or something from the PSA parts bin.
Vanny wrote:The front diff on the 405 Mi16 is NOT the same as the bx
No, but the front diff on a 405 GLx4 is very similar indeed to a BX 4x4, with the same problems. The 405 MI16 4x4 is the one that's needed. The casing is similar, but the internals are rather stronger. Unfortunately these are also rather rare.. I've only ever seen 1 for sale on fleeBay in the last 2 years, and it went for well over a grand.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I also heard an aim with the 405Mi16 x4 arrangement was to prolong the life of the rear CV joints/transfer box etc by having a rear end that sat at a constant height (exlcuding bumps obviously).
As in the problem that occurs if you try and lower an Impreza Turbo or Pulsar GTi-R......the lower height can kill the 4wd and transfer box.

Or even more extreme with the Calibra/Cavvy 4x4's, if one tyre on one side is greater than 1.5mm tread depth than the opposing side it will kill the transfer box....hence why so many die and are now just 2wd.

Anyway....topic! :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)