Old Friend.

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Indeed, dont you wish life ran this smoothly all the time.!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Stuart got to brighton in one go with no hiccups and is chuffed with his purchase! Ive jetwashed the xantia to try and get the crap off it! Does look a bit better but its venetian red and as flat as a witches tit so need to get it mopped at work asap as it look very unloved!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Steerings fixed itself, a litre of LHM Plus and some citroenaerobics and all is well, engine check light still comes on now and again but it doesnt alter the way it drives. Still have half the dash bulbs to do :? , and for some reason the steering wheel controls for the Volum and Tuning dont light up or work either! Probably a busted wire no doubt, any ideas? :wink:
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Bugger!

Failed on a Lambda Sensor £42, advisory is a LHM leak from the pas pump, and a leak from the offside rear sphere "area". Unfortunatly they have no idea about citroens so beside fitting the Lambda Probe im going to have to go elsewhere.

Am hoping the leaks may just be unions that need cleaning and tightening!

The sphere itself isnt leaking, its behind it where it attached to the subframe there looks like a consetina type plastic pipe (simialr to a front strut) thats a bit wet with LHM. They have recommended new rear spheres and a new pas pump, but I dont think its needed.

Will have to clean it off tomorrow and see where its coming from.

Any ideas guys?
Last edited by tim leech on Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Its the LHM pump Tim and theyre prone to leaking from the pipe bringing the high pressure out of the top of the pump and across the front of the block to the regulator unit, clean it off and see where its coming from , likely needs a new pipe, not expensive though.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Will do, have to wait until the weathers better! As the jetwashers frozen lol!

Its only dripping very slightly so will wait for abit, treated her to 4 new tyres today aswell, the old ones were horrible cheap nasty things, different patterns and quite worn, 4 new continental contacts for £120 inc vat fitted i think is a bargain! Oh lol and a (genuine) new wheeltrim and (genuine) new wiperblades and free numberplates! Body mop and valet next week and we should be in business.

I have noticed the near side wheel is starting to lean in so no doubt the radius arm bearings are shot, anyone know how expensive they are and how difficult? Are they the same set up as a BX? Again its not too bad so can wait for a while.
M

Post by M »

tim leech wrote:I have noticed the near side wheel is starting to lean in so no doubt the radius arm bearings are shot, anyone know how expensive they are and how difficult? Are they the same set up as a BX? Again its not too bad so can wait for a while.
Car mechanics covered this this summer - email me and I will send you a scan of the article. Its a swap job (exchange arm) rather than replace the bearings like the BX £120 exchange per side, not including the ABS sensor you will break.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Car doesnt have ABS fortunatly! Will wait till the summer before I see about getting them replaced by someone! Any takers.

Tim
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Ow! That's a bloody good reason for sticking with a BX.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

A car passed me on the motorway a couple of days ago, and out of the corner of my eye I saw it was pretty low at the back and thought "wow that's pretty fully laden" - and then I realised it was a Xantia! :shock:

I've seen them like this before, all collapsed at the rear, or bouncing around on shagged spheres. I'm thinking, how can people drive them like this?? :( There are some seriously neglected Citroens out there...

Mark.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

The worst of these I ever saw was a BX - on high at the front and completely collapsed at the back! God knows what it must have felt like inside. Horrible.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Yep, there are cars that are plainly not right in the suspension department :(

Also, a few years ago I saw a BX I could have sworn was being driven in intermediate height. Part of me wanted to flag down the guy and check the height lever. I'm somewhat certain there are hydraulic Citroen owners out there who don't have a clue what the little stick between the seats does, or what position it should be in... and they've never ever touched it.

Mark.
Last edited by mnde on Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M

Post by M »

tim leech wrote:Car doesnt have ABS fortunatly! Will wait till the summer before I see about getting them replaced by someone! Any takers.
Looks very straightforward being the whole arm - bolt off / bolt on.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Often seen on the roads, I think the intermediate height lever can be used to stop the rear tyres rubbing on the inside of the arches when the rear arm bearings need doing, I have also spotted BXs running with the rear end sticking up in the air (link to ride height valve dropped off?) and am currently watching processions of bouncing Xantias :D
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

on high at the front and completely collapsed at the back!
There was an SM like that at the Citroen Stratford rally this year! Not that I was paying too much attention as I was distracted by the sweet Italian music coming from the exhuast.

The ultimate LHM blooded Citroen?

Ian