16v dipstick length

BX Tech talk
mat_fenwick

16v dipstick length

Post by mat_fenwick »

Please could someone lucky enough to own a 16v tell me how long their dipstick is.
We have a (shhh) Peugeot 205 GTi for which we have aquired an Mi16 engine (no BXs were harmed during the making of this car - the engine was from a dead 405) but it came without a dipstick.
I can make one from a cut down dipstick but need to know the length and also how far the max/min marks are from the bottom. Many thanks and apologies that it isn't a BX related question :oops:
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

deffinately worth your while asking on the BX 16v forum if you havent already!

Now this topid has come up before, and i have a feeling that there are a number of different lengths of dipstickt hat are found on the Mi16 engine, possibly related to sump type (alloy or cast) and aircon or not!

I seem to recall one of the 16v lot managing to purchase one from Citroen for around £15. As im Diesel powered, theres no point in me telling you how long mine is, but if you find out, can you post back so there ia a record of it :D
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I havn't asked on the 16v forum yet, but I might do. Need to get round to joining up though!
For more information - the sump is cast aluminium, with small fins and has the aircon compressor lugs.
I probably will end up buying one in the end but I'm a little skint at the moment so just concentrating on the basics for the engine swap for now.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

well i did some nosing through old posts for you!

From what i gather the alloy lumps all have the SAME dipstick, and there only about £3 from Citroen!! Make sure you get the long flat one with the 90degree twist at the bottom (there is a curly one often given out but thats for a 8v Gti).

I gather GSF do them as well, and it sounds almost like it might be the same length as a diesel one! Have asked if someone can measure it!

Maybe Cornish fancies a play in the snow :lol:
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

Well it's not snowing here - about +34C at 11 pm so I think I'd prefer the snow right now.
Anyway, popped out to the garage and pulled the dipsticks on my TZD and 16V and here are the measurements:

16V - overall length from lip to tip - 500 mm
low oil level mark from lip - 470 mm
high oil mark from lip - 447 mm
90 degree twist in dipstick at 230 mm

TZD - overall length lip to tip - 500 mm
low oil mark from lip - 486 mm
high oil mark from lip - 459 mm
90 degree twist in dipstick at 433 mm from lip

So they are the same overall length, but the oil level marks are different. The lip is the lower edge of the plastic 'handle' that sits on top of the filler neck. The only difference other than the oil level marks and different twist is the length of the plastic handle above the lip - the TZD is about twice as long. FWIW, my 16V has the alloy sump with fins and A/C so should be the same as Mats.
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

thanks vanny!!! unfortunatley for me its been raining for the last 2 days otherwise i may have obliged!! :D
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Thanks all for your help - I think I will buy a new one eventually but at least I can sort a temporary dipstick out now.