BX journey

Anything about BXs
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

BX journey

Post by mnde »

Tomorrow is my new BX's first big test! I'm driving up to Sheffield to see my dad for New Year. I think I've checked it over all I can, and it's done the trip to work (50 mile round trip) absolutely fine, so fingers B-X'ed it'll all be good. :)

It's got an odd mix of tyres tho. RF= Firestone RR=Euromaster LR=Michelin LF= Euromaster!

And it's a shame about that wretched stuck sphere. I thought of gently trying to turn it using a chisel and hammer, but I'm not sure I want to risk it.

Mark.
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I've never failed a sphere removal with the Pleiades tool. I bought it because i had a well and truely stuck sphere on my old Hurricane.

Good luck with the journey, its a shame i'm away as you could have dropped in on your way to sheffield to use the tool!
Over and out from me
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Mark, if you're coming up to Sheffield for the new year. Another 20 mins up the M1 and I'll very quickly have that sphere off for you.

I'm just next to Jct 41, you're more than welcome to drop in. Just let me know if you're coming.
They think it's all over, it is now!
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

Ken, PM about to be sent! :)

Mark.

(Edit)

Thanks Ian! Yeah I need to buy a Pleiades tool. My mate says he's got one somewhere but he's damned if he can find it! It's pretty stiff at the front, but it's not bouncing along, and the struts are smooooth all the way up and down, so when the spheres are done.... ooooh! Rear spheres are noticeably softer and more supple than on the other Meteor, and I was told they were pretty good!

Mark.
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Bx

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Mark give us a wave as you pass J37 on your way to Ken's I'm about a mile away and actually work in Sheffield
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

Will do! My dad lives not far from the J34 Meadowhall exit :)

Mark.
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

b

Post by Barnsley BXer »

I work at Betafence(formerly Tinsley Wire) which is about1/2 mile from junction 34
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

After a mere two weeks in my BX, I did 350 miles to Devon and back in a day. Having driven to Belgium in a 2CV this year, I've learnt that big journeys are not to be feared.

And believe me, with my (lack of) mechanical knowledge, my preparation goes as far as checking that there is oil in the engine and "looking" at the tyres!

Still puts me ahead of most people in modern cars. I once worked in a dealership and was often called out to show people how to open the bonnet... :shock:

Ian
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

Well, my BX made it to Sheffield without missing a beat :)

Well Barnsley BX'er, I think we drove by Betafence earlier!

I saw my first BX in Sheffield town centre :) - I think a BX14 in Triton Green. Also, Tim, I saw a nice blue S-reg SD1!

Mark.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

mnde wrote:Well, my BX made it to Sheffield without missing a beat :)
Mark.
...............of course it did; Oh ye of little faith!! :roll: :twisted:

Alan S :wink:
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
munfred

Post by munfred »

I have had my bx for just over a week now. (11 days)
and have managed to do nearly 1000 miles. I am extremely impressed it is still alive. :wink:
Think this last week has been the hardest time of its life in the last 5 years.
I own a saxo, but don't hold that against me. I now have a BX aswell ;)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Subject to circumstances and wifely approval :( I am planning the mother of all BX journeys (well, it might be! :D ), although I might end up using the BX for two of the four legs...

UK, Dover to Calais/Boulougne, France. Then down to Agen, SW France. Rendez-vous with mate and head off, via the Alsace and Germany to a little village in the Czech republic via Linz, Austria. From there, go to Poland (probably give the car a rest and go by train), and eventually back to Agen. Back up to Calais/Boulougne, or, wherever, and back home. The legs from Agen to the Czech Rep. and back again might be done in his Toyota Avensis (yawn!) but I will try and persuade him otherwise!

Mind you, I have to get to Agen first and door to door that's about 620 miles each way... The total trip's likely to be 4,000 miles. Done in about 18-20 days.

I'm sure the car'll be up to it - well, it should have been thoroughly serviced :( and any niggling faults/wear issues dealt with by then.

And with AA cover and so on and careful driving it is possible. Surely?!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

and any niggling faults/wear issues dealt with by then
Surely that's not possible with a BX!! :lol:

Ian
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

You're probably right! Anyway, I spoke to my French mate and we have come up with a couple of alternative plans. A). I will rendez-vous with him in Lille and we go from there. Also he will fly to Poland another time (he only needs to pick up some paperwork), or, B). He flies to Stansted and we go the most direct route from here.

It still means putting a few miles extra on the clock, (but) I think it'd be a worthwhile adventure!

After all, how often do we all get the chance for an 'adventure' these days?!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

My old professor would regularly drive around Russia in his BX estate. His biggest adventure came in Volgograd (formerly and quite possibly will again be Stalingrad). He burst a hydraulic pipe and had to make it across 200 km of steppe to V'grad without brakes, suspension or PAS. When he got there, he made contact with the Sukhoi fighter plane factory and spent three days convincing them that he wasn't a Tax Inspectorate stooge before they agreed to run him up a replacement. He replaced the lost LHM with finest aeronautical hydraulic fluid and drove home.

He would often drive back from Russia with several hundredweight of books in the back.

The car eventually gave up when the back axle snapped with a load of books on board - right outside the college car park.

Let us know how you get on.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"