BX ICE

BX Tech talk
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

BX ICE

Post by Philip Chidlow »

What was original spec/fit for the stereos in the various models? Was Blaupunkt standard?

I have a couple of '91 GTis (with 6 speakers) and would like to know what they would have been fitted at the factory, what the 'option' upgrade would've been and if anyone has something decent that would replace my crappy aftermarket Goodmans in my Black GTi. (I have a brilliant Panasonic CD in the other - great because it's knob's so big (ooh er missus) and it's easy to control in that characteristic awkward BX position...

Phil
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

My 91 Meteor has a Blaupunkt "Boston" coded cassette radio, for which I have all the original docs including the "passport" with the factory code written on it :)

Mark.
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

mnde wrote:My 91 Meteor has a Blaupunkt "Boston" coded cassette radio
Yummmm sexy! The originals are my favourite too. I have a cassette player in my 4x4 and the only cassette i have is Chris Rea so thats getting some hammer!

I think the option radio was 4 speakers up front, 2 mids and 2 tweaters in the dash and the rear speakers were in the upper 'C' pillars. Also the option upgrade pack came with the 2 jack plugs in the rear passenger compartment.
Over and out from me
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Some BXs around J reg were fitted with Clarion. While some were fitted with Phillips cassettes with twidly knobs :D
They think it's all over, it is now!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Thanks. My cars each seem to have two speakers in the upper dash, two in the front doors and two small speakers in the 'C' pillars. They also have the headphone jacks in the back plus a power supply but - and help me here if you can - I can't find a plug to fit said holes!
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I seem to recall my dad having some rotten old headphones with possibly a 6.5mm jack plug. Well i dont think its that and its not the smaller (3.5mm?) one either
Over and out from me
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Philip, have you tried Tandy (if they`re still going?) or similar for your plugs? A quick search of Google or similar should throw something up which would suffice.
Vauxhall apologist.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I have headphone kacks that fit now, that's OK (having had a rummage), but as for the power supply socket... any ideas?
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

The power supply plug (standard DIN) you can buy from Vehicle Wiring Products.
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.u ... tch-3.html

I have a cigarette lighter plug that will fit this socket by removing a collar, item 60116 if you follow the link.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I have seen the socket and plug in the demon tweeks catalogue too (motorsport one) I removed mine and popped a cigar socket in there, My TZD has the tweeters in the dash, 130mms in the doors and some small ones in the C pillars, it also has headphone sockets in the rear, no stereo in there when i got it though.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
st gilles

ice

Post by st gilles »

Well worth keeping the original i.c.e. in the cars, as the cassette (quite apart from the aesthetics) gives you the easiest option when it comes to 'plugging in' an MP3 player. The old fashioned cassette adaptors that most people had when they used the personal CD players in their cars work a treat with the MP3 players and mean that you can play all your faves without any faffing about or the likelihood of leaving your CDs on show and getting them nicked etc. One in the eye for all these Ipod add ons they want 90 quid for. Ok, its not quite as 'trick' as these but I've not seen a BX with steering wheel controls yet. Mine works great; all you have to do is sort yourself a few 'driving' progs and you've got all the music you need for any length of drive.
Seem to remember that a Clarion that I had on my previous S1 RD estate had an input jack on the front of the unit........even better!
On another note my '90 TZD was originally a German reg car (LHD) and doesn't have the headphone jacks in the rear. Obviously different specs for different countries.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I've just bought a JVC head unit (£100) with an aux input on the front. MP3 player plugs straight in using a cable I fortunately had from an old PC stereo set up. Never throw old cables out!

Also plays CD/MP3 discs, can be linked to a multi-changer and is DAB ready (which means you have to pay another £100 for another bit!) so plenty of options!

But alas, cassette is no longer one of them.

Those adapter things based on a casette type shape do work well though and save a lot of money! They are usually a couple of quid on Ebay.

My new stereo also came with a remote control. "Great" thought I "I'll stick it to the steering wheel!" Would be nice but you have to point it at the head unit for it to work! Not really much point then unless you have childish rear seat passengers.

Ian
OwenS
BXpert

Post by OwenS »

I've got a non functioning Blaupunkt unit in my TGE. I was going to have the CD player from my ZX as Im selling it but when we tried to slot it into the BX in wouldn't connect up with any wires, and ideas?
2007 Sportka
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

I had the radio re-wired in the other BX with bullet connectors - it didn't cost very much.

Mark.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The wiring of the BX is actually quite simple but of an older standard and does not fit the more modern plug/socket arrangement.

One way of fitting a modern radio/CD/MP3 etc is to adapt the car by fitting a new style plug which is readily obtainable from places like Maplins. I fitted one into my BX using screw terminal strip which while not perfect seemed to be adequate given the size of the car wiring, push on connectors, open backed speaker enclosures etc.

The 2 small sockets on the console are standard 1/4 inch jack plugs and are wired to silence the rear speakers when plugs are fitted. Maplins also sell adaptors to reduce these to the more common 3.5mm size (Use stereo not mono)

The larger centre socket is a standard size but not used readily over here. I have seen the bits at a price in a yacht chandlers. Electrolux camping fridges are supplied with a dual size plug as standard (that was lucky!) and it looks as though the plug supplied with a Clarke jump start may fit as well (new type)

I believe the radios fitted to the 89 BX included Blaupunkt Atlanta SQR 47 and Clarion 918 HP - which someone may well have removed from my TD as it came with a Phillips in it.

jeremy