BX FOR SALE - TZD -

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Boxwolf
BXpert

Post by Boxwolf »

Boxwolf
BXpert

Post by Boxwolf »

As the MOT is next week, I can come down there next weekend if it passes.
I would usually say saturday but I have plans for next sat.
Does next sunday sound ok to you?
BXforsale

Post by BXforsale »

Big pictures-couldn't make them out on camera screen.Last picture is drivers door.No rust or mud,its accumulated dust on some sort of wax/oil.Sunday ok will keep you posted.Big night on Saturday eh!
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Production Date of the car was 8 November 1992 then. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Boxwolf
BXpert

Post by Boxwolf »

Lots going on with this car, still interested, but the current £500 without tax does seem a bit steep to me.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I'd say. No BX is without its problems. £500 then tax, plus inevitable work means you're paying over the odds straight away. £400 without tax, maybe. But it isn't going to be perfect so even then I'd give it some serious thought.

It's your call of course and you'll find no end of support on here whatever you do. Just remember, they do come up; just need to be patient.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Boxwolf
BXpert

Post by Boxwolf »

I know, I'm really in two minds right now cause I do really want a TZD, and this one is very nice looking, but I dont know if it would be worth it to get a £500 car with no tax and a couple already known issues. Advice would be very welcome.

my brain is hurting right now...
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Wait for another if you want to get a good deal, or buy this one if you want a BX now. This one is too expensive if the seller isn't taking offers on £500 without tax; I'm sure another TZD will come along at some point, it's just a matter of when.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

What issues are outstanding on this car? i thought the rear arm bearings were getting sorted?

Reality check: There are no BX's out there that need no work or dont have issues.

What you have to weigh up is your budget for the car, the cost of fixing the bits that actually need doing which will affect reliabilty & longevity of said car. Once you've got that sussed you can then over time sort out the little niggles.

I've got a lovely tzd sat on my drive, rear arm bearings need doing, i need to change the camshaft & a few other bits & bobs. Once done, that car will be superb, but as it stands its scrap. It was working quite happily before being laid up with no obvious signs that not all was well. If i hadnt spotted the damaged camshaft, i'm sure i would still be driving it with possibly no problems. These cars tend to wear their faults very well, its only when you own the thing for a while, you discover all the lovely issues that you have.

All 3 of my cars have/had problems in various degrees, very few have actually stopped me driving them, so i've not lost hope in running them all again. However, my expectations if i decided to buy another would be much lower than they were when i got my 1st one. They are quite old cars these days, which most owners havent really taken that much care of, or have rec'd bodged repairs over time.

So dont discount a car just because its got a few problems (as long as they arent major), the one on this thread probably has less probs than my current one has, which i'm still using every day for my 40 mile commute :D

Good luck with the search, but finding a belter is just about nigh on impossible to be honest.

Let us know how you get on & what you decide.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

MULLEY wrote:These cars tend to wear their faults very well, its only when you own the thing for a while, you discover all the lovely issues that you have.
I took over a lovingly cared for GTi auto last August. In effect it cost me £50. Even with an extensive history it still revealed over the last few months a few items in need of attention. I have no regrets whatsoever (well, I have to pick the car up tomorrow so I hope not!) but my wallet will be £600 lighter. Nothing big individually - just cummulative. I don't tackle those sort of jobs, so it does cost. If you are a competent DIYer then £500 on a BX that you want, and that is on the face of it better than others you have seen, then you may be able to justify it better than I could!
MULLEY wrote:They are quite old cars these days, which most owners havent really taken that much care of, or have rec'd bodged repairs over time.
Unless you are really lucky and find - as I have and others have too - a low mileage BX with one careful owner etc. (e.g. the 23k miler 16TGS auto I picked up for £450). Come to think of it - the 'best' BX's in terms of low miles and condition appear to be petrol - and the 'unloved' 16 TGS auto :lol:

I assume you're doing high miles hence your need for a TZD turbo.
BXforsale

Post by BXforsale »

Your cars might have issues.Mine had what i told you and has been into a citroen/peugeot garage for fresh mot,new alternator,plated rust.Rear arm bearings good and never had fault,some discussion on hydraulics but garage said good.Everything else you know about.Buy any old car and you have to face an occasional bill.Buy a new car and depreciation and service are crippling.I think i've been upfront and can't do more.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well don't let us put you off. It is a BX club after all! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
BXforsale

Post by BXforsale »

Petrol or diesel.Every 5000 miles has to be £100 saved + the turbo D is a cracking engine.At around £500 for a car no contest!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

bxforsale, i wasnt implying your car was crap, just highlighting the fact that unless owners of all old cars are mechanics, problems exist without them even knowing about it.

An mot doesn't mean the car doesn't have problems as i'm sure your'e aware. As you quite rightly have said, you've highlighted the issues your'e aware of, got them sorted & put a fresh ticket on it. To my mind this is all i would expect of someone selling a car, & certainly far more honest than most sellers.

Spot on about the depreciation, that costs thousands every year, rather than a few quid to fix a few gremlins on an old car, & of course its depreciation free motoring :D

Hopefully someone will get yours bought, it certainly looks in good condition to my eye.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
BXforsale

Post by BXforsale »

Hey,thanks for your reply.I was a bit mift.Got over it now and after all its a free country.
All the best.