Servicing reminders?

Anything about BXs
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Servicing reminders?

Post by Gareth Wales »

Has anyone devised a reliable way of servicing reminders. Oil changes aren't a problem - they're fairly regular and freqquent. Its the belt checks and filter renewals and so on that I tend to overlook.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Easy one that Gareth.

Major service prior to MOT everything done/checked. MOT man sees new parts fitted, him impressed.

6 months later, intermediate service. oil change quick check round looking for trouble.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Index card in the glove compartment, with date and mileage of any work done.

Then all you need is a system to remind you to look at the index card :D
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Aha! Oscar once again finds that supposed "Faults" are in fact helpful, service card in dash, glovebox lid falls off, reveals card, car gets serviced, Its a good point though logging maintainance and repairs, should ones pride and joy ever be involved in an accident such evidence can be used to prove the value, I mean how could one of us claim £1000 plus value when the assessor can look at Ebay and watch cavmad buy an essentially identical car for £1.60
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I`d like to recommend my theory of `do it when it breaks` but it hasn`t always been to succesful :lol:
How about putting a memo in your computer`s calendar to come up on certain dates to remind you to service/check over your car, or even in your mobile phone?

Stewart, nice to have met you at last! Very, very impressed by your car it was nice to see the legend in the metal!
Vauxhall apologist.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Yes it looks quite good in the dark! in daylight you can see green moss growing everywhere, its as close as I get to gardening :D
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Terry Brooks
BXpert
Location: No 1 at the end of the bar .....@Milton Arms,Rotherham

Post by Terry Brooks »

I find the most reliable way is to put all your vehicles details [in our household thats 3 cars & 5 bikes] on a large chart on the garage wall,with dates & milages "when last serviced","when next due for service", "when due for MOT" etc ...as each job is done,alter the chart for next time ......I know it's a bit anoraky :oops: .....but it works.
T.
Dont let the 2CV fool you,I'm not a hippy,I like violence
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Here is quite a good chart for the BX, only thing is it's in KM, but that's no major prob!

http://www.citroenz.com/BX/Service.html

Blow it up, put it on your wall!

Mark.
Gareth Wales
BXpert

chart

Post by Gareth Wales »

Excellent Mark - many thanks
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

By all means keep service records but is it wise to keep them in the vehicle? Suppose you are unfortunate enough to have an accident and have delayed a major service or have comments like 'Brakes spongy - inspect' or something similar and an insurance engineer finds them you may have a few awkward questions to answer.

My view is I don't do their job for them and so any records are kept safely at home.

(YES I do know that a BX braking system is fully powered!)

jeremy
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I dont drive the car if there are serious jobs to do! And the 'folder' only goes in the car for MOT's, however i do have a user pack in the car with all the service info in it, makes for good reading on the M6 car park!

Personally i find that driving it all the time i just kind of 'feel' when something is due and dont' follow anything specific. The speed i rebuild the car i certainly dont need to worry about things like 'fuel filters'!