Interior lights stopped working

BX Tech talk
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Mine are like that Jon, Vanny seems to think theres a relay above the glovebox, when mine was out I only found a brown connector at the righthand side on the top of the aperture, from memory there were four wires green/brown, please let me know whether I am on the right track (My interior lights do switch on manually)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

You mean one of these :D

and yes, you'll find it above the glovebox towards the heater side if memory serves.
They think it's all over, it is now!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

And if you have the connector (which i seem to think ALL bx Mk2's have) then you simply plug in one of the units Ken has pictured!

You have to take the glove box completely out and on most models its held inplace by two t5 headed screws. However my understanding of this relay is that its more like a giant capacitor hance the lights fade after x seconds of closing the door without locking, its all a bit mad, but i guess if it failed and took out the lights then it much have short circuited?

the only common points on the interior lighting are the fuse and the earth point which is right next to the base of the aerial. The door switches ground out and are linked together for the doors open lighting position.

Stuart, i think i have a spare magic box if you want to try it out one day?
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

For those who are technically minded. :lol:

I think if you don't have a replacement to hand, I'd try resoldering the joints on the PCB as you may just have a dry joint.

My XM has a very similar device, when that failed the lights would dim out, but then come back on. :o
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Do the diesels have a light delay unit? My DTR Turbo (late 89) doesn't seem to have one (shame) but my 16 valve (same age) does. - Of course its possible that someone has removed it before I got the car but the wiring does look untampered with although I've never inspected round the glovebox in detail.

jeremy
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Some later TZDs did have, but don't know if the earlier ones did.

Not aware of DTR being fitted but check behind the glove box, the wiring may be in place.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Hmmm theres nowt like that behind my glovebox, perhaps thats why the hooligan has manually switched interior lights, If there is a spare one in Vannys empoium he might put it to one side until we can swap it for some piece of treasure from the bX cave :D
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Well, that's one component location I was never aware of until now - if I'd have known that before I'd have had one out like a shot on one of my scrapyard trips.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Yes Tom.I must have sent a good few of these to the scrapper in my time, along with le mans interiors, good gloveboxes, rear cylinders, ride height valves, wings, doors, calipers, struts, heater matrices, the list goes on, sdo just what is the pile of stuff in the garage? ah yes , steering racks, Hp pumps, calipers, struts, gearboxes, FDVs etc etc.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I've got one of everything on your list stewart bar a heater matricies and rear cylinders!

I'm still after a 'radiator level' tube and a few other holy grail items, but i think i'm pretty much there for an emporium!
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Ahh I found the holy grail... at CCC Stratford Rally last year. A coolant level dipstick for a BX16! Along with a cheap good pair of BX headlamp protectors 8) I also saw a BX Digit instrument panel! Stratford is a great hunting ground for those hard-to-find items.

Mark.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

'ang on! Somebody taking my name in vain?
Seriously, the TZD has delayed lights, others do not.
I assume that is true for all z trim options.
Easy enough to fix. lots of ordinary bits so if it cannot be fixed, send it here.
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

Ken,
On a point of information; What's a "dry joint"?
Gareth