What to do about the air-con?

BX Tech talk
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Looks like a GT digit is on the cards!
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

If you dont want the working aircon system then I am interested too. I will pay a good price too if that will help and can help in the removal - not until Feb though.

You will have to get the working sytem's refrigerant removed professionally. There is a a firm in Witney that I know of who will come out and do the work on site. So I reckon you will be able to find someone in Malvern to do the same. Ask them to give you the refrigerant - it is probably R12 so they will be happy to get rid of it. I would pay for this too if you decide to go ahead as its likely to be at least £40.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Hello thanks for the posts people. Im going to try and start the engine change soon but theres no rush really. Im not too sure what gearbox to use when I do the change. The TRS BX has got reverse opposite 5th and the GT has got 5th next to first. The TRS also has a modified oil breather system and apparently all the fuel hoses are narrower.The oil leak is bad though :shock: The aircon is the only thing thats worrying me in terms of my lack of experience with it - I havent had a look at all yet really but by the sounds of peoples experience it will need degassing. Does anyone know of a site that has any information about BX aircon or just car aircon in general? I can imagine struggling with this more than the engine. I still dont know exactly where and what all the components of the aircon do exactly. All I know is that its Freon gass and is very dangerous and at high pressure.

David- Thanks a lot for your offer of help with the engine- That would be great, but are you sure your only 1 hour, 40 mins away? I thought Dorset was a lot further than that but I may be wrong? And it would be great to get over to your garage but its a question of how do I transport 2 non- legal BX's all the way down to Dorset. Regarding aircon, as I mentioned I cant tell if it works as its about 0 deg at the moment anyway, but the one pipe going to the aircon rad is hot, the other cold, so imagine thats a sign that its working OK.

Arrhh, so many of you are interested in the aircon system!Jaba I dont really like to ask any money for bits from a free car so I wont, but the first person to say by PM that they are capable of removing it (safely) or to go halfs on degassing it (if nesessary), can have it. You'll be doing me a favour for getting the aircon out if I need to. Other than that you'll have to debate it out amongst yourselves :D As you san see my knowlege on it at this stage is minimal- I dont even know if it needs to come out before I can get the engine out yet, but cant see why it should have to. Any advice greatly appreciated:-)

Adam
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

It will be best to use the gearbox that came with the car, that saves messing around with the linkages, I would advise you to get the good engine sitting on the floor and begin by getting all of your seals and a cambelt, if you follow the book of lies then all should be plain sailing, things like octopi, clutches and cambelts are a real doddle with the engine out, the freon in the aircon is not really toxic to you in the open air but is an environmental hazard being a greenhouse gas, and should be properly disposed of or kept safe. the engine swap sounds like fun if you go about it in the right way :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Cheers for the advice Stuart. By seals, which seals do you mean? Id like to get things that are easy to do with the engine out sorted so a clutch and cambelt are definately on the cards, and if their are any specific seals that I should replace then ill do those too. It would be nice if the oil leak is something simple to sort, but it may be a crankshaft oil seal or something. By the looks of it, oil only comes out when the car is being driven and must come out and get forced away by a moving part as the whole steering ram area is coated in oil, as is the front right floor underside. No oil is evident on the ground underneath when parked.

From what you say about the gearbox linkages, I think I will use the orignal gearbox- there are a fair few links and ball joints to contend with there, so yeah it would be a fiddle.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Air con parts

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Hi,

I am breaking a BX with aircon next weekend, If anyone wants parts please let me know.

cheers,

Mike
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Thats good news as demand is exceeding suply! Mine has been allocated to a member who messaged me today and who I know is capable of removing it so that it will work afterwards (unlike me lol).
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Re: Air con parts

Post by DavidRutherford »

Mike E (uk) wrote:I am breaking a BX with aircon next weekend
What model of BX is this, and is it a case needing to come and remove it?
this might be a signature
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Re seals, I would think that it might be prudent to replace crankshaft seals at both ends, camshaft seals, I think you have those at both ends too, and the rocker cover gasket, your oil leak sounds like it could be the crank seal behind the flywheel so would be easy to get at when the gearbox is off.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Cheers Stuart thats helpful advice. Ill get all those bits in advance.