BX Towing Weight?

BX Tech talk
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

BX Towing Weight?

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Whilst the subject of towing has been brought up....

How much can you actually tow with a BX?

I'm sure people have towed alsorts but what legally can it tow?
Over and out from me
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Can I humbly suggest that this info maybe in an original sales brochure for the BX if someone has one?
Either that or maybe someone from the c*r*v*n club might know? I certainly recall seeing BX`s towing huge plastic homes behind them in years gone by.
Vauxhall apologist.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Re: BX Towing Weight?

Post by DavidRutherford »

Ian_Fearn wrote:what legally can it tow?
Legally, it can tow as much as your licence permits you to tow. The Manufacturer recommended towing weight is just that... a recommendation.

I have, in the past, towed massively over the recommended weight with a BX, and it was fine. So long as you get the nose-weight of the trailer right, it's really not a problem.
this might be a signature
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Does the law not say something like...

"you may tow upto and not beyond the weight of your vehicle"

Or something to that effect?
Over and out from me
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Did you not read the loooong post on towing????

While the letter of the law MENTIONS the manufactured recommended towing limits, there is nothing in any legislation that i have found that says the recommended max towing weight must ba adheared to for a Category B vehicle (ie a normal road car).

The books give a Max recommended weight for ALL MODELS as 1100Kg with a braked load.

However the Max Laden weight is recommended as between 1380 to 1600kg with a 4x4 saloon which personally i think is a bit of a load of tosh (thats before the trailer by the way!

It gives the Kerb weight as (all saloons);
990kg for N/A diesels
1025kg for the Turbo diesels and the GTi
1135kg for the Gti 4x4

so based on the manufactures max available you can tow the entire BX range (including the BX 4x4 estate) with a BX diesel or 4x4 Gti and you WILL be under the Category B limit of 3500kg MAM.

While there is no legislation that will incriminate you from towing more than the recommended weight with the BX, you might very well void your insurance! It's also wise to check that it covers trailers!
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Every now and then, they get very picky over here about towing capacities, usually when someone from a car maker has been bribing someone in high places trying to boost the sales of 4WDs (or wank tanks as we affectionately call them) :oops: which is when all the unemployables who work in the Transport Department get a chance to display their uncontrollable power over the masses and start weighing loads and carrying on.
When this happens, the limits tend to become fairly commoin knowledge or at least you need to know what it is for when the jobsworth grabs you and with a BX they have nailed it as 1500 load carrying capacity and 1100 kgs towing limit.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Surly you aren't planning on towing with the 4x4?! Can it take it?!

Ian
M

Post by M »

Vanny wrote:The books give a Max recommended weight for ALL MODELS as 1100Kg with a braked load.
Remember folks - whilst its technically legal to tow upto 100% of your car weight, and experienced idiots like myself tow more than that on occasion - if you are unlucky enough to have an accident Plod will base his opinion as to whether you were being reckless with abandon on the manufacturers guidelines (despite the fact it seems to change from country to country).

The HP suspended Citroens are very capable towing machines thanks to the fact the front wheels dont wind up pointing skywards. Just remember when tanking along at 80 mph with a knackered TZD on a flatbed behind you when you apply the brakes the trailer will push you forwards. I didnt and had occasion to change my pants.....
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Is my diesel rare as it hasnt ever had a towbar fitted?
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

yangreen wrote:Surly you aren't planning on towing with the 4x4?! Can it take it?!

Ian
Surely you`re not planning on towing a caravan full stop? I`ll be happy when they`re only allowed to be towed between midnight and 00.03 every fifteenth leap year.

Let`s see who`s first to react to that...
Vauxhall apologist.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I was thinking about towing that GTi home with the 4x4.
Over and out from me
M

Post by M »

cavmad wrote:Surely you`re not planning on towing a caravan full stop? I`ll be happy when they`re only allowed to be towed between midnight and 00.03 every fifteenth leap year.
Let`s see who`s first to react to that...

Clogging the nations roads since 1845....
Toddman
BXpert

Post by Toddman »

cavmad wrote:Can I humbly suggest that this info maybe in an original sales brochure for the BX if someone has one?
Either that or maybe someone from the c*r*v*n club might know? I certainly recall seeing BX`s towing huge plastic homes behind them in years gone by.
I have put many series 2 BX brochues into pdf and they can all be downloaded on my site
http://www.bx16valve.co.uk

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k - G764KEW

http://www.bx16valve.com
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I've towed a very old very heavy 6 berth caravan with the old 19rd with the brakes seized on and two flat tyres! Only went 50 yards but the lights worked fine!

I know a very capable BX driver that has towed just about everything conceivable on the back of the BX upto and over 3 tonne and while he doesn't rate the cars ability reckons its very capable you just have to go slow and steady!

I think in Ian's case the problem will be the hills TBH, they will probably make life a little difficult!
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I did tow my XM estate with front brakes stuck on a bar back from Leeds when I bought it (about 10miles on wet roads) with a BX tzd.
Luckily the BX had had a recent clutch and I had another set of tyres in the garage. :oops:
They think it's all over, it is now!