James' BX

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Pretty sure a turbo change isn't as big as they're making out, although I've never changed one.

The water and oil leaks may be something small and easy, so it's not over yet. Obviously quite difficult if you're not technically minded and don't know what/where to look at

The arm bearings are at the rear, quite common for them to wear out at this age.
Rust...well that's just what it is....rust. Get it done by a cheap mobile guy who sounds professional on the phone, buy some Hammerite and get painting once he's finished.

Truth be told, it doesn't sound all that bad, but it's so easy to get down. Come and look at this pink 16v I've got and yours doesn't seem such a big job (although it's clearly not as cool as a pink valver!)
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I haven't changed a turbo in situ, but 99% sure it can be done by just taking off the intercooler (3 allen bolts and 3 hex heads), removing the O/S engine mount (4 16mm nuts) and tilting the engine forwards. Not a big job. You may have mentioned elsewhere, but why does the turbo need replacing? Be wary of garages trying to rip you off...get a 2nd opinion if in any doubt.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

mat_fenwick wrote:why does the turbo need replacing?
I'm not 100% but it might need to be replaced seeing as nobody can work out what's wrong with it. The garage I use recommended I get a cheap one from another car, and transplant it.
mat_fenwick wrote:Be wary of garages trying to rip you off...get a 2nd opinion if in any doubt.
I trust the garage I use, they would never cheat me out of money seeing as I'm there atleast once a week with one problem or another. If it's not me, it's my friend with the 306 :lol:

I suppose it's not that bad but I can't see light at the end of the tunnel yet ... I owe hundreds to people and my ZX isn't selling either :?

I will post updates.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Tourist wrote:
mat_fenwick wrote:why does the turbo need replacing?
I'm not 100% but it might need to be replaced seeing as nobody can work out what's wrong with it. The garage I use recommended I get a cheap one from another car, and transplant it.
As has already been pointed out, there may well be *nothing* wrong with your turbo; there are various problems that may occur in other areas which would cause the turbo not to provide extra power. These include:

1) In order to make use of the extra air forced into the engine by the turbo, it needs to inject more diesel. The manner in which demand for extra diesel is relayed to the injector pump is via a hose which connects the intercooler to a device on the injector pump. This system can fail due to either the hose splitting/perishing or being disconnected, or the device on the injector pump may suffer from a split diaphram. Both of these faults are easily checked for and cheaply repaired.

2) The air ducting which connects the turbo to the engine and inlet system may become split or dislodged. This would result in loss of turbo power, and again would be easy to diagnose and cheap to fix.

3) The wastegate on the turbo may have somehow stuck open due to the car standing, which would serve cause loss of power. If so this is quite possibly fixable by manipulation/light hammering of the actuator. Again, cheap and easy fix as to whether the linkage is seized.

4) Internal injector pump fault preventing full fuelling. Potentially costly, but still cheaper than the turbo job.

So, as you can see there are various issues here which require investigation before a turbo change is contemplated. If your garage has failed to consider these possibilities before suggesting a change of turbo, then with respect they are either ripping you off or are utterly useless. Perhaps both.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

jonathan_dyane wrote:as you can see there are various issues here which require investigation before a turbo change is contemplated.
I've had a look myself, and the car has been up on a garage ramp twice now, so points 1, 2 and 3 are unlikely. To my knowledge the pipes have been checked, I think the wastegate is stuck open because the car was standing rarely used for a good few months.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Tourist wrote:
jonathan_dyane wrote:as you can see there are various issues here which require investigation before a turbo change is contemplated.
I've had a look myself, and the car has been up on a garage ramp twice now, so points 1, 2 and 3 are unlikely. To my knowledge the pipes have been checked, I think the wastegate is stuck open because the car was standing rarely used for a good few months.
Point three WAS that the wastegate is stuck open.

As has been mentioned here, and in just about every other thread, the likelyhood of there being anything wrong with the turbo is fairly remote. Also, I very much doubt the wastegate is stuck open, as when the car is parked, the wastegate is closed. If anything, you would be getting overboost, not no-boost.

I suggest you take it to someone who can actually do some diagnosis, rather than just guesswork. (as thus far, there seems to have been guesswork and not a lot more. Done that test I mentioned yet?)
this might be a signature
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

DavidRutherford wrote:Point three WAS that the wastegate is stuck open.
Sorry my mistake, I'm multi-tasking obviously not doing a very good job.

Haven't had chance to try that test yet, strange as it sounds ...

I'll see if I can get the bonnet up tomorrow as I have some free time. I will try your test David if I can, thumbs up!
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Just a small update, I will be fixing the car up (with the help from another forum member) and keeping/selling it when it's done, depending on what's cheaper. It's likely going to take a while but now I've been offered a little help it's worth doing!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Light at the end of that long tunnel :D I'm sure that once sorted, you'll be unlikely to sell on as they are good fun to drive & different. Keep us all updated on progress & any issues that you come across that you need help with.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Thanks Mulley, the first thing to do is the alternator which I'm hoping to get done soon. I will post updates :wink:
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Has Z trims (and has done for some time) a few pics.

I'm a bit unclear as to how I get my box on the road again, it's SORN so I'll need to re-tax and insure.
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

Tourist wrote:I'm a bit unclear as to how I get my box on the road again, it's SORN so I'll need to re-tax and insure.
If MOT is still valid when the time comes, just insure it then take the MOT and insurance cert to the Post Office and tax it - SORN automatically cancelled. Could do it on line, but it depends on how quick your insurer updates the database.

If MOT has run out, insure it, book it in for an MOT, and take it along. Make sure the garage has got your reg number down on the booking. You might get a tug from the Police if you ping the ANPR for no tax, but as long as it's insured and you can prove you are taking it to/from an MOT, you are OK. Once MOT'd tax as above.
I NEED a BX TD.
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Thankyou, I hoped it would be that simple.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I presume if you're taking it for an mot, most of the issues have been sorted? or is it getting mot'd so that that it can be repaired?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

The car has mot until 01/2010 so no need to worry about that. I have just bought a reconditioned alternator off eBay (fingers crossed) and I have sourced a replacement turbo (thankyou Vanny) it's just a matter of getting it. The help I'm getting on this is VERY much appreciated!

Looks like it did indeed work out in the end ...

Touch wood.