Why the BX?

Anything about BXs
M

Post by M »

Ian_Fearn wrote:
Marty wrote:a nice Maestro 1.3L perhaps....

I'll fetch my coat.....

.........in beige???
Dont mock Ian... You obviously never saw this photo of my City X....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ ... aestro.jpg
Toddman
BXpert

BX

Post by Toddman »

No hideous BL rubbish for my family when I was growing up mainly G's proper citroens and great cars.
The maestro turbo was quick in a straight line but was liable to die shortly after acheiving it's factory figures, I found the Montego a much better car handling and reliabillity wise.
Of course the mini was great and I had marinas etc but truly they were not good cars.
I know I am a citroen fan but look at the history of their cars truly inspiring 8)

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k - G764KEW

http://www.bx16valve.com
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I was a car mechanic back in the seventies, mainly working on Japanese iron but with brit and european stuff to a lesser degree, one thing that strikes me about modern motors is that very few of them are total rubbish, but as for the rose tinted specs, I breifly owned a mini a few years ago, 44k miles and a stack of sevice history??? the thing that struck me was that so much work had been needed in a car that had covered so few miles? I mean a BX would have had a set of front tyres and brake pads and a few services in that mileage, the mini had basically been rebuilt, I experience absolutely no nostalgia for any of the shoddy rubbish that BL used to fail to sell (with the exception of certain Rovers) good riddance to em, fords, slightly better due to their functionality and ability to reasonably withstand abuse, I still cannot look a fiat in the eye either :) My old man had a Saab which never completed a journey without incident (mind you the monkeys had been at that one) I think my first BX did 50,000 miles for me before I put a spanner on it apart from servicing, and I still have one, good enough for me.
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I`d happily agree that some BL cars were extremely poorly made but I`ve had similar experiences with just about every other make of car going including Vauxhall. However certain cars just float my boat regardless of some bad experiences with some models.
I may be unique on here that Citroen`s in general aren`t my thing. With the obvious exception of the BX I don`t especially care for the other models, they just don`t appeal to me. I must add that I don`t knock those that are dedicated to the marque, it`s down to personal choice of course.
If I were to buy a new car I doubt I`d get a Citroen, with the exception of the Plurial they all look a bit staid to me. If it were a new family car I wanted I`d get a Vectra SRi diesel but I`m aware that they aren`t exactly hugely popular so it goes back to personal choice again.
Citroen are certainly not the only make of car I wouldn`t buy new: Fiat, VW, Audi, Peugot and a few others spring to mind. As I say no offence intended but as someone else suggested it`s the fact we`re all different which makes it all so interesting.
Vauxhall apologist.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I'm into them because of A63 RPO, a 1983 16TRS in red my dad bought when I was about 6/7 years old. We had it for 6 years until a bint in an arsecort rear ended it in Southampton and wrote it off.

Then my father bought an 1990 XM Si, he'd wanted one for ages but not been able to find a decent one. Nearly about to sign on a 405 Mi16, he spotted a Meteor grey one in Freeborn Southampton (ropey local Citroen dealer). I loved it, but a very badly made car in truth. He said he'd still have one if it stayed together.

It was replaced with a 1995 ZX 1.9D Reflex. This was sold after 8 months for obvious reasons.

That was replaced with a 1994 Xantia TD LX. Owned it 5 years, clutch cable clip went twice, thats about it. Engine was pretty good too, lvoely colour.

Then he bought a Picasso SX when they came out. Quite liked it, although the seats are too flat and hard for my tastes, and the build felt awful although nothing actually fell off. Naff 1.8 16v engine though.

He then went over to Alfas as the C5 looks awful, shame its a nice car. I started off with a 1989 beige BX 14RE in Feb 2000. Fitted AX GT twin choke carb....it was fun! Then a 1992 ZX 1.4 Avantage.....not so fun. Then a 1990 AX GT, very good fun! Then another 1990 AX GT, same reg number bar one digit, but sadly it was a hound. Then a Saxo brand new in 2002. Great handling but a big mistake.

Replaced with the BX 16v which I still have now and will never part with....no car sums me up better than that one. Also had another AX GT seeing as I can't go a year without one and the silver BX 19 RD estate....best all round car I have ever owned.
Also had a Xantia TD of my own.....awful cart of shite, although in fairness I did buy a munter. A ZX estate....didn't really like that too much either but it was very tired in fairness....a 1.4 with 180k on the clock. And also a 1985 16TRS auto, to use for a couple of weeks and to relive my youth with my dads Mk1!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Ex Rover employee here! But thats another debate!
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Oh on the first arguement, I love DeLoreans for what they are, I don't like Stags much although I appreciate them and I like SD'1 with the correct engine. Best looking car Rover ever made, not that thats saying alot.

tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Indeed Kitch if the had built it properly it would have been much better. Mines held together well but has been well loved and I dont slam the doors to hard! I dont think BL built anything well until the arrival of the 200 series/Honda Ballade then things slowly improved. Shame really as the 75/ZT models that I used to sell were great motors andthe punters loved them!
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

I used to be a Rover salesman too, it was a part franchise with a Kia dealer.
In honesty, it was worrying to note that if a demo car was free to take on a trip to auction or whatever, I'd usually try and get a Magentis or Sedona TD than any Rover :shock:

If it rained ands I took the MG TF I got a free shower too, and even worse when the roof was down :wink:

tim leech

Post by tim leech »

The dealer i worked for is now Kia so I left! I had 10 TFs and loved them all, they did leak but otherwise were great, did 17k in one in one year and it never broke!