Intermediate exhaust pipe availability

BX Tech talk
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Intermediate exhaust pipe availability

Post by mnde »

My car needs an interm. pipe or link pipe, the one that goes from the front of the car to the cross-box. Is Kwik-Fit going to cope with this or am I better off ordering from Eurocarparts? Also how complicated a job labour-wise is it to replace this pipe?

Cheers,

Mark.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

You could try Chester Exhaust Supplies (they supply all the trade for miles) as for Kwik Fit I`d rather walk than pay them to turn me over :twisted:
Vauxhall apologist.
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

looked said pipe up last night as the join in mine is splayed open a bit and difficault to seal!
for the gti/16v/td the pipe is £14.50 +vat through gsf (n21304) and £14.95 +vat through ecp (706545231)
as for fitting they are quite easy although depends on how loose your joint with the down pipe is! gentle tapping witha hammer and some wiggling normally sees them off easy! onlything i would say is find something to hold the cross bow up with as with out the inter pipe it does drop down quite a bit! and its very easy to hit your head on it! :oops: :evil:
worth getting new clamps too as they are less than a quid each (are from my factors!) as it makes it a lot easier to put it back together!
*EDIT* Just rang my factors and the pipe is £20.49 over the counter!
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Agreed would rather have a dose of the pox than use Kwik Fit again!
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Kwik Fit are fitting a complete exhaust to mine as we speak so they shouldn't have a problem.

Ordinarily I would agree with all your comments above, they are a bunch of thieves who break cars more than they fix them.

But... my local one is about fifty yards from my house, between my house and office so I just dropped it in there this morning... The other exhaust places are all on the other side of town and I need it done before the weekend. They'd better not break anything.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Or do what Kwick-fit managed to do to a friend-of-a-friends car..

A Rover 220GTI, and they managed to set fire to it! Wrote the car off (it burned out the dashboard and the whole of the engine bay.

After much leagal wranglings they eventually paid out to the tune of well over 6k (there was more to the situation than just a written off car) but what a fiasco!
this might be a signature
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

1 - New exhaust on a Fiat Panda (my sister's old car) fell off on the way home. As did the second one they tried. Third one managed to stay on until she sold it.

2 - New tyres on a Pug 309 (my mum's old car). Engine seemed noisy on the way home and the clutch felt weird. Turned round and took it back - somehow they'd managed to push out the rubber gaiter around the steering column and it was sticking under the clutch pedal. They managed to push it back in but it was never right, used to pop out every few months or so.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

The front bit on BX diesels lasts forever, then you have the hockey stick bit which is cheap and usually fails on the 90 degree bend, then the two boxes, GTIs and turbodeisels use a kind of trumpet flange joint on the both rear joins, smaller petrols and N/A deisels use a sleeved joint which is usually easy enough to separate on the deisels, the real bugger is the pipe to manifold joint with its attendant bolts washers and springs, if you go for the whole system make sure they replace all of the components here, if it was mine i would renew it from the hockey stick back and fit it myself as its the easier option.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

so far i have always found it costs about £20 per section for the BX exhaust (4 parts on the diesel, front pipe, interemediate (hockey stick), mid box, back box) so £80 for the full system and thats BOSAL which i really rate as they seem to last quite a long time!

I get ALL my exhaust parts from Liverpool Exhaust Co (now part of CES) as im yet to go and them NOT have a section in, which includes Cats for Ford Probes etc, and there really cheap!
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I'm liking your prices - kwikfit wanted 151 for the complete system. Is your supplier nationwide, or just liverpool?
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

eurocarparts and german sweedish and french have branches all over the country (lists on there web site!!) but often you may find that your local private style factors have good prices on items like exhausts as they are quite popular! i know i only paid £25 over the counter for a 16v back box! and there are more and more european car spares outlets popping up!!! (yellow pages have a good list of them normally!!) the latest one i have found to me is more than happy to get parts in for me!!!
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk