Build Quality

Anything about BXs
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

As I`ve stated previously the difference in build quailty and reliabilty between my two diesel estates is massive. Have to say though that there`s actually some pleasure driving round in the old one (still taxed etc) and thrashing it mercilessly not really caring if it breaks. It`s a massive weight of your shoulders when the last thing you care about is whether it makes it to work or not and wondering which bit will fail next. As long as it`s not a safety issue or something that would make me crash then I don`t care TBH and it`s a lot of fun. Had more traffice light grand prix`s this last couple of weeks than I`ve had in years and beating poncey rep mobiles away from the lights still gives me enormous pleasure when they finally come whizzing past me with a huge point to prove :D
Vauxhall apologist.
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

But what is actually wrong with your old estate Billy?
Over and out from me
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

You`ll be sorry you asked that Ian!

This is what I know of:

Windscreen: Small star crack in view, don`t know if repairable.

Rear radius arms: Best described as making car look like a VW Beetle with 24 tonnes of concrete in the back.

Steering: unlike my missus has a mind of it`s own-sometimes tight, sometimes perfect but hasn`t got any worse. (FDV valve/filter?).

Tailgate: doesn`t shut properly though doesn`t open at 90mph.

N/s/f electric window: neither opens nor closes and is jammed in with a piece of wood or two.

Driver`s seat: knackered but just about useable.

Driver`s door hinge area: Rusty.

Roof where tailgate bolts into: a bit rusty and bodged but effective.

Radio: doesn`t work-but only because it hasn`t got one.

Interior: I`ll leave it a `minging` though a good clean would do wonders.

Bonnet catch: now operates with two strategically placed cable ties.

MOT: about to expire anytime now.

Rear load cover: Erm, what rear load cover?

Rear wiper: doesn`t `park` but you`ll soon bcome an expert in that.

Interior heater: blows at a fantastic rate of knots but doesn`t actually `heat` which kinda defies having one at all recently.

Lights: flicker about though liveable when used to it.

Headlights/rear lights: Sometimes requires a good thump on the fusebox to get them to come on but always stay on afterwards.

Add an exhaust `aroma` of Eau De Chippy and you`re somewhere near building a picture of it. To it`s eternal credit though it won`t die and performance has increased dramatically recently due to `special fuel` and havy right foot. Underneath all it`s faults is a semi decent car that deserves a much better fate than the one it`s going to get :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Sounds like a minter to me!! :wink:
Over and out from me
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Billy, did you decide not to put the diesel in the meteor then?
Over and out from me
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Afraid not Ian and I`m genuinely ashamed to say that the `big break` begins tomorrow. I`m going to virtually completely strip the petrol one (lots of offers for various parts) then smoke the estate round for the last week or so of MOT then that`s going into the garage come knackers yard for spares.
I`m sorely tempted to go a few junctions up of the motorway and just see how fast the diesel estate will go flat out on it`s last ever journey :lol:
Anyway, get your name down for some parts, they`re going fast!
Vauxhall apologist.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Some electric window switchs would be good!

What is the bodywork like on the meteor?
Over and out from me
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I'd be willing to take the Estate on and sort out its problems and MOT it, would anyone want to buy it afterwards :?:
They think it's all over, it is now!
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Depends how quickly you could do it Ken!
Over and out from me
Calfskin
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Calfskin »

My personal experience of my first Citroen BX is very very favourable.

Rene is a '92 K-reg TXD that has covered over 140k since new. It came with zero service history (yes, I'm as mad as a hatter!) and yet compared to the car it replaced, a '99 T-reg Vauxhall Astra 1.4LS which covered only 50k when I bought her, it is amazing.

The Astra was without a doubt, the most unreliable piece of pig iron to ever wear a Griffon. It went through 2 clutches, 5 alternators, 2 exhausts, 1 head gasket prior to collection (which I wasn't aware of until the first service). Rust was appearing on the rear wheel arches with no sign of accident damage and the trim? The drivers seat back was squint, the remote keyfob was held together by elastiplast and a 1p piece and it had a penchant for headlight bulbs. And that is before I get to the intermittent fault with the passenger's seatbelt pre-tensioner. Oh, and the gearbox failed one week after I finally got rid of her.

That was in a year of ownership which spent prolly 1mth in the garage.

I have had 5 Mk2 Astras and a Vectra which were all exemplary.

Then I bought Rene. Yes, his paint is very faded (extremely after the first trip to the car wash) but he has yet to actually fail on me. I have done 15k miles since I bought him in May '05. The interior is like new. The standard, original velour fabric is unripped nor faded. In fact, the only thing that gives away the mileage is the slightly faded rear-wash button icon. True, the glow plugs now need replaced but that is normal wear and tear. And all the electrics work fine too!

I have only been a passenger in a Xantia so I can't add to that arguement but I have seen a few sorry looking ones.

The BX is the best car I have ever owned, full stop. No other car makes me smile everytime it gets up in the morning and the way it handles just adds to the picture. And add a 620 mile range, then even my bank manager is happy too. LOL

And an Italian femme-fatale even gave it a compliment as she climbed into her gorgeous Maserati Quattroporte. Can't say anymore than that.

Calf.
RIP Rene, 1992 - 2006.
He was the best car I ever owned.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Ian, it`s a TSX (?) not a Meteor and the bodywork is lovely as is the interior. It`s the engine that`s ruined it. Had quite a few offers for parts though and don`tw ant to go back on my word.

Ken, could you please pm or e-mail me asap? Some potential good news for you.

As regards the estate if anyone is interested I`d chuck in a few spares with it including two good white doors, a reasonable white wing and probably anything else within reason not removed from the petrol hatchback. You can even have the screen if you can remove it from the petrol one.

I also have just discovered I have a very tidy estate rear shelf with blinds and I also have an estate towbar (unfitted) here. These can be included with estate if price is reasonable or by seperate negotiation if estate gets broken for spares, and I will let buyer have choice of few spare wheels with good tyres.
I don`t want a fortune for the estate, far from it, and I suppose it`s fair to say first reasonable genuine offer can take it. It is a `restoration` job I suppose but does have some good points such as struts which are wonderfully quiet and efficient and a willing free revving engine. Inspections/test drives welcome before commiting yourself and also a look at the spares which I`ll include with it.
Vauxhall apologist.