FITTING A TURBO!

BX Tech talk
tim leech

FITTING A TURBO!

Post by tim leech »

I love my TZD, and its in great nick, but its a tad slow being a 19d, whats the cost and implications of fitting a 1.9TD engine and box from a PUG or a ZX etc?

Any ideas?
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

am i being thick or have you transplanted a non turbo into a TZD?

The implications are it would get faster.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Mines a 19TZD non turbo. Not a 17TZD TURBO.

Thanks
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Hi Tim, you will be missing quite a lot of bits and pieces, pipework, radiator expansion bottle, intercooler etc, I would first of all suggest you find a breaking TZD Turbo, then a 1.9 td from somewhere and fit all of the neccesaries, its possible and tha parts bill wouldnt be too feirce but the labour would be a bit big IMHO.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Would I need to change brakes/suspension components wiring etc? And how bigger job is it?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

No tim brakes are standard apart from the 16 Valver but you will need the engine gearbox, cooling system, intercooler, lots of pipework, I suggest you get hold of an underbonnet picture of a TZD and look at the differences, they are many.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Brakes - easy - All BX have the same brake pads. Calipers are the same except for the 16 valve which has ventilated fronts and wider calipers.

Suspension - spheres are different - rest the same except for the anti-roll bars - front is different - not sure about rear.

TD has different exhaust (back same as 16 valve but longer tailpipe for Estate)

Wiring I would have thought was the same as no additional electrics (apart from possibly rev counter pickup and the use of a later electric cold start device)

Cooling is a bit different with expensive braided hoses and the largest rad you have ever seen with a 16 valve header in the centre.

1.7 TD engine should go in without problems. 1.9 from Xantia has hydraulic pump on auxillary drive belt at cambelt end of the engine. Its probably easier to keep the BX pump location and even use the BX TD camshaft which would of course have to be shimmed. May be possible to do something else but be careful - certainly on ZX 1.9D the injection pump is in a slightly different place.

Clutch cable is unique to TD and 16 valve as MAY be driveshafts but this is complicated by ABS.

jeremy
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

You are best with the high strength driveshafts from TD or GTI, as you dont have ABS any of them will do, your spheres will do until replacement time, I went the route of modifying the camshaft to use the BX pump arrangement, If you do the same then your existing pump etc will be fine, next time I may use a BX cam/head to simplify it. The Exhaust as Jeremy says is different, a good starting place would be to cannibalise a TZD, then find a good 1.9 and start swapping the parts, there is quite a lot more work than just an engine swap though.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Wow! Think I will keep it as is and learn to drive slower!

Thanks for all your advice, not being technically minded and being unable to do the work myself it looks as if were talking ALOT of money!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Or I could just by a TZD Turbo! Lol and upset her indoors even more with ANOTHER car!
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

You're right Tim - the non turbo 19 IS slow! I don't mind though; it makes the car very laid-back (especially with those comfy leather seats).

So why the hell am I paying more on insurance than I was on the old Passat GL5? Now that was quick!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I found with K988PUY if you drive everywhere with your foot buried on the carpet it does go ok! lol Fastest one Ive ever had was that TGD auto that kens mate had, was much quicker than the othere two.

I guess its because im used to modern cars and my 140bhp TDi Golf that is stupidly quick!
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Tim sell ME the TZD and get yourself a Turbo. :D
Over and out from me
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Get it on vege oil Tim, I swear mine goes loads faster now and a constant good thrashing has helped it no end too :D
Vauxhall apologist.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Tim there must be something wrong with my TZDs handling, I just tried a journey with my foot buried in the carpet BLOODY SCARY! :D :D
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few