Speed 3 The lack of it!

BX Tech talk
tim leech

Speed 3 The lack of it!

Post by tim leech »

Is there anything simplish that will make a 19D go a little faster without the need for a engine swap (see my previous entry) Freeflow airfilter maybe? Ute been well serviced and had injector cleaner but through it to unclog it!

Tim
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Don`t know if it helps Tim but you`ll probably spot some devices (chips?) on eBay that `take 2 minutes to fit and will give you another 10-300hp and improve economy too` (or whatever their bullshit sales pitch is). I`ve heard more than one person say they are A) a waste of time/money, B) full of sh*t and C) are, in reality, some part of a central heating system which costs about 27p to buy.
I have to say I`ve not tried one or personally know anyone who has but there`s lots of unkind rumours about them before you spend your hard earned on one.
Vauxhall apologist.
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Maybe you should sell it Tim and buy a TZD Turbo?

I might know of somebody who'd be interested :wink:
Over and out from me
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

cavmad wrote:Don`t know if it helps Tim but you`ll probably spot some devices (chips?) on eBay that `take 2 minutes to fit and will give you another 10-300hp and improve economy too` (or whatever their bullshit sales pitch is). I`ve heard more than one person say they are A) a waste of time/money, B) full of sh*t and C) are, in reality, some part of a central heating system which costs about 27p to buy.
I have to say I`ve not tried one or personally know anyone who has but there`s lots of unkind rumours about them before you spend your hard earned on one.

And they probably wont work as there for HDi's with Electronic Control Units, something the diesel BX is thankfully free from!

Replace the airfilter often, thats pretty mcuh the only thing that makes a difference to the 1.9D. You might go for a K&N type replacement as these seem to have a better through flow. After that, make sure you dont have brakes binding which i suffered from for years on the 19rd, and change the engine oil semi regualrly, GTD Magnatec lets it spin a little faster IMHO, doesnt change your speed much but does give a little more acceleration feeling!
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

are we talking outright top speed or 'liveliness' ? my last BX was a 17RD and to be honest the thing flew, and it had done 260,000 or something silly. 95 top end. all day at 85.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

If you fit a free-er flowing air filter then you can also up the fuelling just a little bit to give you a little bit more than standard. You do this by adjusting the maximum fuelling screw (on a bosch you wind it in a quarter turn) until you get too much black smoke, and then back it off a bit.

Bosch pumps are easy to alter. Lucas ones less so.
this might be a signature
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

clean oil, recent cambelt, clean filters, non binding brakes, empty boot quarter of a tank of diesel, let her rip!
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Yeah all the above, plus put a BXClub sticker on the back window! ;)

Mark.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Interesting David. In my previous life as a ransit driver for a couple of companies I heard tale of a power increase involving fuel pumps, and in fact tried it (got someone to do it for me) . It involved cutting a slot in a blue plastic cover on the side of the pump to reveal two nuts, one a retaining nut. I believe the retainer was a 19mm and you undid this then backed the other one (13mm?) off a little. Then tighten the retainer and adjust the accelerator stop on the pedal in the cab.
Bingo! Fly past all your bemused workmates smoking like a bugger. Works a treat until a short while later when the engine blows up, but hey, I didn`t pay for it so who cares?!!
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Has new filters, cambelt oil, spheres tyres AND a bxclub sticker! Lol and lots of tescos finest diesel! Brakes are fine as it they were checked on its mot 200 miles ago. Ive adjusted the "slack" out of the throttle cable too by moving that U shaped clip along abit!
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

cavmad wrote:Bingo! Fly past all your bemused workmates smoking like a bugger. Works a treat until a short while later when the engine blows up.
Hmmm...

You *might* just possibly have adjusted that pump a tad too far... not sure... maybe just a little less might have been better!

I made this adjustment on one of my 405 D estates (Identical engine) and it certainly felt more torquey, especially around the 50-60mph area.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

No, nothing much. Best I ever got out of a 1.9 was about 108. It is not particularly amenable to tuning and quite honestly there is no need. The turbodiesel is there if you want to go faster and there are plenty of good cars around. On the other hand, 60MPG is a good reason for keeping it.
Just keep it well serviced and replace the fuel filter at 20,000 miles.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I wonder if there is something wrong with your BX 19. The reason I say this is that we have a ZX 1.9D which is a heavy little thing and weighs as much as my DTR Turbo Estate. While we joke about it being slow it actually goes very well, is reasonably lively and will cruise forever at highly illegal speeds and still go faster. This has the 71 BHP engine which is probably the same one in your BX.

I'd suggest you start by examining yours and if necessary 'Blueprinting' it by checking all settings (cambelt, pump timing, valve clearances) and making sure they are within the manufacturers tolerances.

Firstly howeverer - how old is your exhaust. I recall someone on the Andyspares forum wondering why his ZX 1.9D auto was slower than his partner's almost identical car - and on investigation finding that one or both silencers was enormously heavy with accumulated soot and that a replacement equalised everything.

Is there anyone near you with a similar car with whom you could make some comparisons?

jeremy
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

jeremy wrote:I wonder if there is something wrong with your BX 19.
I'm beginning to wonder if this is the case too. Whilst the fuel pump adjustment does make a (marginal) difference, the XUD9A is a fine engine, and should feel just fine in something as lightweight as a BX. The 405 I had (which was an estate, and MUCH heavier than a BX) went perfectly well, and the 19DTR I have comparitively goes like the clappers.

After all, the 1.9 engine has powered vehicles as large as Citroen C25 derived camper vans, and (just about) coped.
M

Post by M »

Upset to discover today on a run down the M6 that an indisctaed 80mph on my speedo actually was 74mph. Turns out the 1.9D speedo is very optimistic!