Calling BX International Rescue!

Anything about BXs
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Calling BX International Rescue!

Post by Vanny »

Post 'Turbo went pop and pumps out lots of smoke' madnes will be taking part this forth coming weekend! If anyone would like to join in repairing the tank or needs help doing something on there's please feel free to drop by (for instructions please email me!)

I'll probably be extending a BBQ based food invitation so a vague number of attendees would be greatful along with expected hunger portions!

Help International Rescue, your my only hope <think Star Wars>!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Hi Marty, have said the same on GSF, but this weekend is the French Car Show and i have so much to organise for it i simply HAVE to get the car sorted and fast!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

i've got to at least try :D it would simply be rude NOT to!

Its of a Sierra Cosworth hybrid thingy majig, or thats what it was destined for!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

or a shiney bonnet through which the engine could be seen! It might stop pikeys wanting to steal the engine!
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Re: Calling BX International Rescue!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Vanny wrote:Help International Rescue, your my only hope <think Star Wars>!
I get the feeling that the next line in this case ISN'T going to be "Who is she? She's beautiful!"

.. wasn't International Rescue the Thunderbirds organisation?

Vanny.. I'm just about to call you to see what help I can be.

David.
this might be a signature
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Hi Dave, im sat in my room with my phone, not made it to the library yet!

Actually 'Who is he? hes beautiful! WAS going to be the next line, and was in reference to Mr B And Mr JW!

I couldn't figure out how to fit it into 'perhaps i should call the BX team?' but it htink i just did!

Folks the bank holiday weekend is unfortunately right out as im working the French Car Show, regardless of how i get there!
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Sorry Vanny, the only weekend I was free is the Bank holiday one. Ho Humm :roll:
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Vanny, I have to say, I'm with Jon on this, and it's why I've been trying to push this engine I have on you, as I get the feeling yours is going to be rubber-ducked.

I've driven my fair share of very badly maintained and generally rather knackered XUDT engines over the years (Including a 230k mile 1769TD) and never once have I had even the slightest hint of turbo failure.

I was speaking to the diesel engine specaialist where I got my TD injection pump reconditioned a while ago, and he also said that the turbo's on these are generally rock solid. The only way he's ever seen them get damaged is when you get cambelt failure, and bits of valve end up in the exhaust side of the turbo.

I know you said you have a back-up plan, with an engine from Mr. Oilyspanner, but that needs a headgasket doesn't it? This one is ready to go.

Just another option.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

it is ready to go, but i'd love to avoid the 1.7 if i can! though that said, it will be front mount AND a huge amount cheaper on the old insurance by the looks of things!

Jon to add to your confusion, the alternator i think died because of LHM dripping into it, i know i'd be reluctant to continue working if i was being slowly drowned!

The engine is pretty solid, and although perhaps down on power, it was very very happy with long winded trips! However i had noticed that there was a rather strange sound from the rear of the block in the turbo area. On idle it sounded like very high pitched metal on metal. I was thinking it might be leakage from the exhaust, but then again it was rotational. I'm reasobaly happy that it didn't over heat, and the alternator packing up was simply coincidence! It still starts up on the key first time and without priming or messing about (found i had a fuel leak and this was causing air to leak into the system on idle, and hence my poor starts!). The only problem is that there is a lot of pretty thick white smoke the second the engine is run. Turbo is still spinning and spins up as it should but doesn't seem to be adding much boost, so i'm happily inclined to believe that its the turbo rather than the lump!

David, you have put ideas into my head! I suspect that insurance will be much much less with a 1.7td from a BX than the 1.9td from a Xantia, i will phone the insurance tomorrow and find out, and if it is significantly cheaper than i may well have that engine off you! The only major problems will be that i have a Xantia HP pump and i think reverting back to the BX one might be rather difficult (besides the fact that i dont have a FD!).

Jon, i have a lovely destroyed garret (off a 1.7td) and having spent a whole day smashing it apart i agree they are very solid pieces of kit, this one was totally goosed and looked like it had a screw driver rammed in at full spin speed, not nice! Did you know the XUD started int he Mid 70's, thats a hell of an old design!

Oooooh oooh i forgot, i also (dont ask) have a HDi filter which chokes the oil feed! It really badly restricts the oil flow (not something i realised) as the HDi has a much lower oil pressure! SO i suspect that this is likely to have a HUGE effect on why the turbo might have gone pop!
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Vanny... you have to wonder wonder what it was that came out of the engine and jammed into the turbo at full speed! I wonder if you've dropped a valve guide or something like that.

I have to say, having driven both the 1769TD and the 1905TD engines in essentially similar cars (405 estates) I think the 1769TD is the more fun to drive. It seems free-er revving to me. Yes, the 1905TD is torquey-er, and probably better for towing, but the difference in power output is no more than a couple of horses... and with a quick tweak of the max fueling screw, that's fixed!

I would have hoped that the insurance for a "standard" BX TD is somewhat less than that for a modified one. As much as a years tax? would make it worthwhile I would have thought.

I haven't been able to get in contact with people about this weekend yet, but if you do decide to have this engine from me, then that's a guarantee of my coming up to help fit it.

David.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Oh, and while I remember, if your Xantia HP pump is fitted to an XUD engine at the moment, then the brackets can always be transferred to another XUD. As far as I know, in the whole of the history of the XUD (and BE gearbox) from it's humble beginnings in a Talbot Horizon, the only mounting bolt holes that have been added are the three for a peugeot-stylee end-of-camshaft sealed vac pump, and the sump mounting points for the aircon compressor. Everything else is bolt-off and bolt-on-able.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Just another thought... if the engine starts spewing out white smoke the moment the engine is started, then it can't be the turbo at fault for that. The exhaust won't be hot enough to burn off oil in the compressor side, and any oil in the intake side would just sit there while the engine is idling, and come out as blue when the engine was revved.

I think the problem is more sinister than this. The dropped valve guide is starting to look like a possibility. I had this happen a good few years ago (on a petrol engine) and got horrid clouds of white smoke the instant it was started, and found bits of brass guide in the exhaust pipe. Hmmmm..
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Hi David, do you have any more info on the engine? Such as milleage, cambelt timings, head quality etc? If it's half respectable then i might very well be interested! It works out to be a good £100 cheaper on the astronomical insurance figures!

It looks like i should be able to scrape together the money to get the car all sorted and insured and MOT'd as a 1.9td, and given that the 1.9td has a very low milleage and cost very much over the odds to buy in the first place, i am reluctant to get rid of it!

Although i had promised to keep her together before Stewart gets here, i think i might take her apart tomorrow and see if i can get a deffinate diagnosis, then if it IS the turbo i can just swap that, otherwise i can advise that i need a whole engine! I'll still make a new engine FIC (not a fan of these silly over head things, unless you know someone who might be interested in a stupidly oversize alloy intercooler!)

hmm, time to get over my poor exam today!