Speed 3 The lack of it!

BX Tech talk
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

How about the accelerator pedal? Are you getting full acceleration? I've heard they bend the bracket and you can't go as fast! BTW I used to think all BX's were sluggish until I realised that the pedal annoying catches in the tread of my shoes!

Mark.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

mnde - You're quite right about the accelerator pedal - as well as the usual BX problem of it falling off - you also need full throttle to get the 1.9D to go well - in fact far more than the 1.7TD.

To adjust it properly hold the pedal right down in the carpet (push it a little) and make sure that the outer cable is pulled right back and position the clip to hold it there.

To tight a cable will snap off the nylon wings on the pedal end and it will fall out. (may be able to bodge a repair with a nut). The excess tension may also damage the bearings where the lever enters the pump. (not the end of the world as this can be repaired). Too slack a cable makes you wonder if the engine has stopped altogether!

Even a mat slipping under the pedal makes the car feel very sluggish. You really do need full travel to make these things go nicely!

jeremy
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

'Ang on. The man has not given any idea of actual performance, so it is a little premature to be suggesting cures. Pack a sleeping bag and an almanack and find out the 0-60 time. that'll get us in the ballpark of healthy or sick. What sort of MPG are you getting and when did you last give it a damn good thrashing? (Presumably recently if it don't go fast enough.) Seriously, these have adequate performance but little compared to the 1.7 turbo, as you would expect.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Its fine when it gets up theer guys, I drove it home hard on the way home from kens and had it sitting at 4000rpm in 5th all the way at a indicated 95 so I know the speedos out lol! There 22mph per thousand arent they which means 88mph.

Exhaust is new, will check the throttle when I get the chance, it runs well and passed the mot on its first rev to maximum engine speed.

It doesnt smoke and starts very well, maybe me not having heavy enough boots!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Most BX speedos are out. When the 16v said it was doing 140mph, our little GPS buddy actually pointed out it was 129mph :lol:

So when I found a quiet enough piece of private land late at night I really let her rip to find out what it could do. Turns out a true 140mph is somewhere on the "MPH" on the speedo, and that a std geared (with std 7200rpm limiter) BX 16v will bounce in 5th when the needle hits the "H" lol! True speed 143mph.....it cannot go any faster.

However my old 1989 19RD estate's speedo was perfect! Noticed that as soon as I picked it up. It wasn't a rocket, but it did make an effort and I could manage about 45mpg with a generally heavy foot. Engines done near on 200k. We did get 56mpg once, but that was at 50/60mph all the way! I expect I'll get the typical "oh yours is broken if it doesn't do more to the gallon etc" but I've not seen one better it personally. The engine ran sweet as a sugar coated nut.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
tom
Citroen Sorceror

Post by tom »

Oh yeah? And when was the tacho calibrated? are you doing 4250 or 3750? How do you know?
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Because the std rev limiter is set at 7200rpm. The car has a standard rev limiter, and I hit it thus I could not physically exceed 143mph on std sized tyres with std gear ratios.

The rev counter probably said 8000rpm or 125rpm or something.....it bounces around when you welly it just like the oil pressure gauge. Does it less with the lights on though.

tom
Citroen Sorceror

Post by tom »

No,Kitch, the supposedly slow diesel. We have absolutely no calibration data to go on, just the owner's assertion that it is too slow. That is my point. It would appear to run out of steam around 100 MPH (Where it will doubtless run into steam if you try hard enough :D ) which is good enough for a 1.9d. A proper set up, as you will be aware will make it livelier but the top speed will be determined by revs , cogs and weight. Only one is a variable.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Oh right I'm with ya now Ted! :lol:

My diesel never had a rev counter (I could rev it to about half past four tho :wink: ), so I have no frame of reference. As I say the speedo was bang on in that.
But it felt peppy enough for what was essentially just a flat 60/70bhp lump in a large(ish) estate car.

Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Kitch wrote:I expect I'll get the typical "oh yours is broken if it doesn't do more to the gallon etc" but I've not seen one better it personally.
My record is 71.6mpg with the 1.9td, that was on a run from liverpool to birmingham and back at 55mph, distance was measured as an exact route using autoroute and from the speedo (there was a disrecpancy so i went with the autoroute figure), and the fuel was measured by the pump full to full. Bloody impressive if i do say so myself!
M

Post by M »

tom wrote: It would appear to run out of steam around 100 MPH (Where it will doubtless run into steam if you try hard enough :D ) .
Isnt that fast enough in a 1.9D :?:
Mine feels like its going to break up at speeds over an indicated 90 anyway....
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

An interesting survey might be to see who's had the fastest speeds out of their BX's.

Cross referenced against, who's done the most head gaskets and points on their licence. :?
They think it's all over, it is now!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

It won`t be me then! I`ve had 95(ish) on the speedo out of the 1.7 n/a diesel now owned by Vanny`s mate. It probably would have just about cracked the magic ton but I ran out of road trying. It was fully (and I mean fully) loaded at the time so not bad really.
Got my old diesel estate to 90 the other day with suprisingly little effort and I felt sure it would have gone over 100 had I pushed it.
As for MPG 65+ is the best I managed, though I got to Great Yarmouth fully loaded in the 1.7 on about £13`s worth of diesel year before last. Considering it was a 288 mile joureny that was bloody impressive if I do say so myself.
Haven`t thrashed the new estate car yet and don`t really intend to. It does feel quicker than the other but you have to push your foot down harder to get there.
I don`t really see the point in thrashing the n/a diesel TBH, they`re not sports cars so I don`t intend to treat them like one. It may be different with the tizzy d of course as I miss something I can welt along and if the economy is still good then I can use it as a sports/economical/load lugger car which I believe is the whole point of them.
Vauxhall apologist.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I have seen 120 MPH in the Hooligan a couple of times (on the continent of course officer) best previous in the old GTITD was 115, best fuel economy was around 65MPG during the fuel protests.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

She will rev all the way up to the revlimiter no probs at all, One the way home I didnt have it completly flat outincase it blows up hehe! Seemed happy crusing at 4000rpm tho!