19RD (poppy) pre and post T Cut

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

cavmad wrote:Cheers gents.

Problem is I don't want to drive the car now as it'll get dirty again (especially after last night's rain) so I came to work in the love bus today instead!
Dont you ever mock me again Billy after that statement :lol:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Roverman wrote:

Problem is I don't want to drive the car now as it'll get dirty again (especially after last night's rain) so I came to work in the love bus today instead!

You ride the love bus as well then Tim? :wink: redx
1991 BX19GTi Auto
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

It's ok, panic over! Used it today (after it had stopped raining and the roads had dried out :lol: ) and went to work in the pikey-mobile in the morning.
Vauxhall apologist.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Way2go wrote:
Roverman wrote:

You ride the love bus as well then Tim? :wink: redx
I think your on a very different subject to the one in hand way2go :lol:
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Roverman wrote:
Way2go wrote: You ride the love bus as well then Tim? :wink:
I think your on a very different subject to the one in hand way2go :lol:
Possibly, but avoidance of the "one in hand" on the bus is best or risk arrest. :lol:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

MULLEY wrote:Doc, imagine plastacine but a bit firmer. It looks just like an old fashioned thin bar of soap (when in the pkt), but is moldable with your hand. All you do is get it to the shape you want & then just rub it over the paintwork after spraying the necessary area with some detailing spray 1st. As billy's said, you wouldnt believe how much crap comes off the paintwork even after a damn good wash. Once done, just re-apply wax, buff up as normal & the paintwork will look like new, its quite remarkable stuff. Maguires do a clay bar kit which comes with the detailing spray & cloths along with a couple of clay bars.
So, in essence, I could wash the pink car, clay bar it then wax it and it maight actually look ok for a while?

I mean, when I can be arsed I use autogrim paint renovator on it and it comes up ok for a while, but clay bar method could be better??
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

If the paint has oxidised which sounds like yours has, you'd need to get rid of that 1st before using the clay bar. Once you've done that & then claybarred it to then re-waxit, i'd have hoped it would stay red rather than pink as long as you keep up with the waxing.

The clay bar can't make crap paint better, all it does is remove all the contaminents on the paintwork so that when you re-was your car it looks like new. When you've washed your car, if you run your hand over the dry paintwork, it always feels rough to the touch & has some friction, when you clay bar the same piece of paint, its super smooth & silky to touch, thats before even putting the wax on.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Oh god yeah, it's oxidised to hell and back!

It does polich up quite well though, it's just that it looks pink again in about 2 weeks.

Hence thinking about polishing then sealing it or something.
I duno anything about polish.. but if it delays respraying it then so much the better, since I dont really want to wave a gun at it until I've restored the old girl properly..

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

docchevron1472 wrote:Oh god yeah, it's oxidised to hell and back!

It does polich up quite well though, it's just that it looks pink again in about 2 weeks.

Hence thinking about polishing then sealing it or something.
I duno anything about polish.. but if it delays respraying it then so much the better, since I dont really want to wave a gun at it until I've restored the old girl properly..
I would try and get your hands on a machine polisher then Doc and some G3, my mate had an AX that was venetian red but was so faded it was a dull pink, looking a whitish colour in places, I had it for the day, went to town on it and it came up like new, a regular coat of good quality polish kept it red until she sold it for doube the price she bought it for!
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

I'm rather loath to use G3 again, the paint is getting mighty thin in places..

I can get a decent red finish with the autogrim stuff, it just doesn't last, but then, neither does using a mop and G3..

So, once it's red again, I need to know how to seal it and keep the UV out off it for as long as possible really..

I hear tell that there is anti UV wax now?

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I've mentioned this before but please bear with me. I used to have a pink Visa, which after a few weekly applications of coloured polish, returned to it's former glory and - with regular 'top up' polishes using a 'finishing' polish (extra gloss from AutoGlym - or Maguires spray wax) - it stayed that way until the day I sold it. I think Turtle wax make these coloured polishes IIRC. Excellent for red. (Not so good for black or grey).
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
frugg
BXpert

Post by frugg »

I have had good experiance with dull paintwork. Here is a pic from a CX.

Being stood for 15 years it was a dull as <insert any work here> ( :wink: ) And this was achieved by G3 Compound, and then Autoglmm Super resin polish without a polishing mop - elbow grease was the order of the day :D

Sorry for a bit offtop:c