Stupid windscreen spray bar

BX Tech talk
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Stupid windscreen spray bar

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Has anybody sorted out a foolproof way of sorting out the windscreen washer spray bar?I've poked out all the holes,taken the pipe off and blown through,i've even sucked(a gobfull of washer fluid doesn't taste nice :evil: )After a few minutes of water on the screen,theB'Stard stops working again.Any suggestions?
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Yes, GSF, about 8 quid.
Over and out from me
H Reg Pete
Confirmed BX'er

Post by H Reg Pete »

You could always do what I did, I drilled a hole in the top centre of the bonnet and put a proper twin jet thingy in, works a treat and was only a couple of quid from halfords.
regards
Hreg
H Reg BX TZD Turbo
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

£8! bargain!
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I had the same problem, if you pull the rubber pipe of the spigot at the bottom of the wiper arm then remove the pipe from the underside and put a small drill bit through the hole in the centre of the wiper spindle as this rusts and puts crap up in the spray bar, then reconnect the pipes remove the spraybar and take it in the house right on the other end of the bar remove the plug now submerge the spray bar in a weak bleach water solution and leave it to soak then remove give all the holes a good prodle then blow it through put the plug in and hey presto cured mine has been fine now for about 5 months no problem. :D
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I agree with all thats been said before. However I do wonder if there is something else and that is hard water and /or solvent deposits. I have to keep on clearing mine and notice deposits round the holes.

I propose to take it all down, scrub out the bottle which seems to grow algae and then fill it with the water that condenses in my tumble drier - which should be distilled.

jeremy
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Try fitting a 405 washer bar, mush more longer lasting and seem to get a better spray (and they tend to come in sets of two in the scrappy!)
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Heretic :lol:
They think it's all over, it is now!
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

The drill down the centre shaft is a must, but also check that in the line there isn't one of those non return valve things that's plastic and the size of a thimble. It could also be gunked up.
The spray line on one of ours was cracked and I could imagine the dramas out here trying to get one, so I went to a local parts joint, grabbed a bit of plastic tube the same size, bunged off the end and took to it with a drill and poked holes where I reckoned I needed them and get such a swill off now I almost wash the bonnet every time I use it. Cost about 50 cents. (2 bob in your money):shock:

Alan S :wink:
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I have also heard about putting some dishwasher salt in the washer bottle as it is a special softening salt it makes the water in the bottle softer. I havnt tried this one though. I have also made a relacement out of tube and it works very well.
M

Post by M »

sleepy0905 wrote:I have also heard about putting some dishwasher salt in the washer bottle as it is a special softening salt it makes the water in the bottle softer. I havnt tried this one though. I have also made a relacement out of tube and it works very well.
Having seen the way glasses often go all scratched & cloudy in a dishwasher after 10 or so washes I doubt if I would bother either.
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Spray bar.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hello. Yep tried most things, new spray bar, non return valve etc, lasts a couple of weeks and then down to almost nothing then tried to drill out the wiper spindle which was rusty and pretty solid with muck. guess what silly bugger broke the drill bit off !!!??@***. Answer was to get a couple of plastic twin jet nozzles from the local shop and mount them through the grill below the windscreen coupled with a "T" . 6 months later and no problems. ( mounted about 10" to the left and right of the wiper spindle.) Not neccessary to drill any holes in the car and almost invisable if painted car colour. Total cost £5-25. Jets, "T", and a bit of extra pipe.
Very dirty water round here, I know should have used distilled but forgot/ or to be honest couldnt be bothered.
Cheers.
Geoff.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

you are supposed to use a small drill bit gradually working up in size till the hole is right and not break the drill bit in the hole. :lol: :lol:
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I think the dishwasher has a water softener in it working on the ion-exchange process which basically means that the water passes over a catalyst and calcium ions are exchanged for sodium ones from the salt which just happen to be soluble. No doubt the Haynes Dishwasher manual will explain all.

All salt with basically be sodium chloride, some is cleaner, and the fine table salt has driers in it (like magnesium Chloride) to try and stop it going lumpy before you use it. Dishwasher salt is probably re-chrystallised from rock salt - which is what is spread on the roads.

I'll now let those who live in Cheshire tell you what mining it does for your house!

jeremy
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Maybe BX washers live longer with Calgon? :D

Mark.