Tim's 14TE ST Tropez

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

I agree Phil. You were right to clarify the citerobics part, worth doing once in a while although I often don't. :oops:

I used to use Dennis when I lived in Essex. Does he still wonder of with the spheres somewhere round the back, then you hear this PSSSSSSSSSSDD, then some metallic clonks, a bit more PSSSSSD and then he wonders back and paints the end blue?! :lol:

Dennis is classic, very nice bloke. When I first met him I was not Citroen wise and my front spheres had failed inside. I was bouncing all over the place. When I left Dennis' and drove down his potted track, I just couldn't believe it. Having him regas the spheres was always better the buying them!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Bandit, just to clarify, what i described wasn't my proceedure, its actually already on the club site, link below:

http://bxclub.co.uk/diy/struts/

The only bit it doesn't cover is adding the 3in1 oil through the hole at the strut top mount. I agree, ideally you shuldnt use wd40 etc...but if all else fails, then the amount of contamination is so low i'd take the risk anyway, as i suspect the lhm in the cars system is probably old anyway, a good excuse to change it for fresh lhm or even hydraflush after having sprayed away onto the piston if its very noisy.

As to the benefits, i've had varied success, but in all cases there has been an improvement (which i repeat regularly every 6k), its probably dependent upon how much crap is in the struts as the fresh lhm in the bottle has gone mud brown before, so not sure where it settles within the strut, possibly at the bottom? & so the citreobics must unsettle it. I also when there is crap in the bottle, i replace it with fresh lhm & continue to keep doing so until it stops making it manky. Even if this crap gets into the system, it should end up at the bottom of the main lhm tank due to its swirl design & plastic plate trap, simple & reasonably effective system.

I agree with Phil about lhm lubricating the strut piston/washer, others have also commented that its a waste of time, hence 3in1 oil was suggested to me by a few people. Again you dont want to be pouring loads of the stuff onto the piston, just a few drops.

Give it a try, you will only waste some time if it doesnt work & you never know, it may breathe a bit of extra life into the struts & stop any annoying groans. I think its should be part of a normal service, so when changing the oil & filters etc...i tend to give them a workout at the same time.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

No, I appreciate it wasn't your procedure. I've tried it a couple of times and it's made no difference. Lubing the strut with LHM, be it by lifting the gaiter or pouring it in from the top may well aid creaking, but I don't buy the leak off pipe exercise.

Please don't mention the use of 3-in-1 or wd40 on your struts, it offends my eyes!
1990 BX TGD White
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

BX Bandit wrote:it offends my eyes!
That I find very difficult to believe Mr. Bandit... :wink:
But for what it's worth I've seen a temporary improvement with the return pipe lubing trick, a couple of weeks or so was all.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Simply compare the old plugs with the new to make sure they dont foul
anything.

The metal grill fixed under the bonnet is intended to reduce ignition noise on the car radio.

As Mat suggest, use some plywood to spread the load.

If you fancy a trip over to sunny Wycombe, I will have a look over the car for you.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

:lol:

Improvement? Nonsense! :wink: Interestingly then, a mildly leaking strut would have a beneficial effect!
1990 BX TGD White
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

BX Bandit wrote: Interestingly then, a mildly leaking strut would have a beneficial effect!
Actually they don't tend to creak IME. :D
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

BX Bandit wrote:I used to use Dennis when I lived in Essex. Does he still wonder of with the spheres somewhere round the back, then you hear this PSSSSSSSSSSDD, then some metallic clonks, a bit more PSSSSSD and then he wonders back and paints the end blue?! :lol:
Well, just before the BXagon we took The Green Hornet to Dennis for a final chaeck over: After he'd noted a few things, he focused on the rear spheres: "I reckon they're 15 or 16 bar". Turned out they were 18. He offered to regass and Kermit and I both agreed... sure enough he wandered off - but Kermit followed him. Kermit may well be able to describe the remarkable alchemy that he observed! I've since noted Dennis has customised equipment to test and refurbish regulators...
the_baron
Confirmed BX'er

St Tropez Update

Post by the_baron »

Just had a call from Darrin Brownhill who's been fettling the Bee arks whilst I slave away over a hot 'puter.

The good replacement filler neck has been fitted.

The fuel leak was due to a split breather on the top of the tank, which has been repaired using a DS breather pipe (ooh the luxury) and the carb has been taken apart and cleaned out.

New vacuum advance unit ordered from Bosch Germany (dizzy part number was 02 37 00 96 18 ) cost £14 inc VAT.

Job's a good un.

M
Current Fleet
1990 BX 14 TE St Tropez
1986 Wartburg 353S Tourist
1973 Ami 8 Club Centrafuge
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

So you will be driving to St. Tropez in the Summer! :D
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Great stuff, I keep forgetting to post that visor, sorry.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
the_baron
Confirmed BX'er

Post by the_baron »

Philip Chidlow wrote:So you will be driving to St. Tropez in the Summer! :D
Yes but not in the Bee Arks, hopefully in the Wartburg.

mmmmmm smell that strawberry scented 2 stroke.
Current Fleet
1990 BX 14 TE St Tropez
1986 Wartburg 353S Tourist
1973 Ami 8 Club Centrafuge