BX16V fuel economy

Anything about BXs
AlanS
BXpert

BX16V fuel economy

Post by AlanS »

One of the boys picked up another car yesterday, so I volunteered/was volunteered, to take him down to collect it around 400 klms away.

Partway down I pull in and fill the tank and zero the speedo.
The trip was mainly highway stuff for around 80% of the trip but when it got into traffic there was some reasonably heavy stuff coupled with the mandatory getting lost and backtracking followed by times stopped at the side of the road trying to figure which way is north on the roadmap :oops:
By the time I get back, sitting mainly between 100 & 120KPH the trip meter is showing almost 750 klms and the fuel gauge is between empty and the 1/4 mark.
My gauge is usually pretty accurate I've found when I do a refill to refill check on consumption and as the light comes on, it usually has around exactly 8 litres left in the tank, so based on this as a rough guide, it seems as though I'm getting very close to 40MPG or 7L/100 klms which to me is pretty good for a BX16V.
What a great drive it was too.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

The distances you quote are, well, astounding! :shock: 400k’s is about 250 miles, which for me is a trip to Dover, I know that’s a 6 hour trip on our crappy roads. As for 750 kliks, that’s nearly 470 miles! That’s the kind of distance I do in a day on our holiday journey and that would be 8 hours on the road with a few breaks. These figures and the vastness of Aus are amazing!8) Bloody good consumtion too, I was only getting 47 out of the Berlingo HDi diesel:roll: I once got the Berlingo down to 27mpg in Spain a few years ago, flat out with the aircon blasting :shock:
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Without trying to sound 'heroic', the 750 klms was from when I filled up, not from when I left home!! :shock: That was 50/60 klms before that, so in the day it was just a whisker over 800.
I think most I've done in a day trip was 1100 a couple of years back.
This doesn't account for trips from the in laws that are usually in the order of 1200 each way, but I don't try that on as a "day out' but more a point A to point B over some fairly desolate roads.
You're right about the vastness of this place. Bob Smith was out here a year and a bit ago and we flew over to Fraser Island; Bob was amazed at an "Island" that had a permanent population of only a handful of people that was so long that when you looked at either side of the plane, all you can see is land. It's over 90 miles in length:wink:

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
pindimar
BXpert
My Cars: no longer any BXs but do have a Xantia

Frazer Island

Post by pindimar »

...and it's all sand!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Pretty good going. I managed to average 37mpg on a 60mph trip to Staffordshire.

On the way back it declined pretty sharply, but I did blow away an Audi TT :twisted: