Starting problems

BX Tech talk
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Many radios have 2 supplies - one (switched sometimes) for the main radio supply and another unswitched for the memory.

I always thought the unswitched supply merely maintained a potential to power memory (Some devices used a special capacitor) but my new CD etc palyer has a flashing LED when the fascia is removed! - and guess what - the battery seems to go down considerably after a week or so.

Mnay cassette players were wired directly rather than through the ignition switch - to avoid cassete tape tangling when the power was cut. I saw somewhere that you can change a Xantia from ignition switch power to being powered all the time by changing a fuse or something

jeremy
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Any progress on this front ?
They think it's all over, it is now!
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Well its not the radio or cd changer i removed both out of the car no cure so i am now going to start tracing and removing fuses i have also got to conect the tester and see how many amps are being drawn when it is just sitting there the next thought is the all singing and dancing car alarm.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Once you said it has an alarm, my moneys straight on that.
They think it's all over, it is now!
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

its one of them all singing all dancing ones but once i figure the wiring and where it is i will remove its fuse and see if that cures it but it is a cat 1 and all the bits are hidden and all the wiring is the same colour so i have got to start having a hunt to find it as there is nothing under the bonnet :(
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I had a reasonable look at these things last year and seem to remember that a 'Cat 1' only interfered with one circuit, and a 'Cat 2' broke 2.

Chances are that yours either stops the starter or the fuel cut off. We've got something similar on the ZX and its mounted on the inside of the offside door pillar and cuts some part of the ignition circuit (diesel). I'm sure if you didn't need the warning lights (which may or not work) you could simply jump it, and probably a feed to the starter would do the job. I'm sure this thing isn't 'Cat rated'

jeremy
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I have now found where it is all hidden there is the main unit then the siren then the pager and finally the immobilizer but i have found the fuse but i have to remove the glovebox to get to it. Hmm weekend job then.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Ken said:
Once you said it has an alarm, my moneys straight on that.
You and me both - you just beat me to it!

Mate of mine had a Golf convertible with a ridiculous alarm on it - it could drain a battery overnight.

My favourite anecdote from that car was the time it went into "panic" mode at a set of red traffic lights, killed the engine and locked all the doors so that the only way they could get out was to open the roof and climb!
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Some of these devices plug into a multi-pinned socket - and if yours does you may be able to see if it is the culprit by simply unpluging it and plugging it back in again when you want to start the car.

This would seem to be the case for those used on early 90's Range Rovers and Discoveries. I thought I was going to have to remove one last year and as that was a factory job - re-wiring might have been difficult. I was hoping I could get the device apart, remove its guts and wire it so it simply acted as a connector.

jeremy
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

from what i have found there is a 41 pin connector which is locked together with a coded tag so i dont want to break that but there is a couple of fuse holders stashed behind the glovebox so i am going to remove the glove box and pull the fuses then leave it to see if that cures it.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

My CD is powered up all the time unless I pop the front off , if I dont it flattens the battery!
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

as said earlier it isnt the radio or cd i removed them altogether with no cure so i am looking at the alarm system.