Team Green Tiger - BX19TGD - Back on the road

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

149,000 miles now, so getting on for 7000 since purchase in early September. The longest period this car has gone without being driven is two days since then.

Beats my previous BX records of 6000 miles in six months in the first one, and 4000 miles in 8 weeks with my Valver!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

This really is the best car in the world. I got rid of my Bond today which wouldn't start, so I attempted to tow start it on ice, behind the BX. Those new tyres earnt their money today! Brilliant car.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

You see its not just hype they are fab!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Yup. Sadly, despite all the towing, and a trip to the shops, the car is technically still frozen, so I've not yet been able to get the Vaseline out... (door seals in case you were worrying!).
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

That is the problem i had the car unlocked but the b-----d would not let me in.
I think the BX is the best car for the current weather especially the diesel ones as it's second gear and idle and you can go pretty much anywhere you like.
Oh yes and the notch below the top on the suspension lever and you can go anywhere even a BMW X5/6 won't even look at (personal experience)

Hope You all had a good christmas and a happy new year (yes i know it's late)

Regards Kermit
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Right. Francine the BX is off on another adventure! Having ruined the 2CV's exhaust, I've got no choice really but to use the BX for a trip to Scotland. Work is finished, tomorrow we start heading north.

No plan at all other than to take part in a 2CV (um, in the wrong car) rally on Saturday which goes from Gretna to Wanlockhead. After that, we plan to head further north but with no idea of exactly where.

It seems that the weather may get a lot milder, so there should be less snow to deal with. That's good because while the BX is SUPERB in the snow, it's still a lot more stressful in terms of driving than grippy black-top. We should end up doing a good 1000 miles or so, which means she can have a service and a return to LHM when we return.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Bon voyage! Give us report and some pics, Ian!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Will do. Really looking forward to it now the steering issues are (temporarily?) sorted. She seems to be driving very nicely at the moment - beautifully smooth. Mind you, I have been slumming it in a Saab 900 lately! (I think they forgot to bless it with suspension, or maybe I'm just too used to Citroens!)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Our trip around the North is going well. Yorkshire was very snowy, but nowt the BX couldn't handle. This is near Haworth.

Two days later, we were at Wanlockhead, home to what is alleged to be the highest pub in Scotland. Other Citroens were present.

The biggest issues with the car so far are a lost stripe on the A1 and the rear washer no longer works. Just over 400 miles done now and we're kipping next to Loch Lomand tonight. (In a hotel, not a la BX in a Fenwick stylee)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Wimp. :wink:

Have a great trip anyway!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Back home now. Well, actually got back yesterday but I had some parts to deliver/collect today and after the Saab threw a sicky, Francine the BX got the nod again and another 200 miles have been clocked up today. That's 1400 in a week and a day!

Some minor grumbles - there's something greasy on the windscreen that I can't remove. Or maybe the screenwash has been contaminated. It's horrible. Also, she still feels a bit 'sticky' at very low speeds, as if the brakes are binding. However, they don't seem to be getting warm, so I'm not sure that's the issue. Mind you, I'm wondering about the handbrake as I have to occasionally push the lever back down to keep the warning light off.

Also, at very slow speeds (we encountered a few traffic jams...) the ride is a touch bouncy. A trait or front spheres on the way out? Ride is fine at speed - in fact, I'm sure it's better while she's on the flushing fluid.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Interesting that you noticed that with hydraflush the ride is nicer, exactly what i noticed. Its perhaps a slightly different viscocity over lhm & also as it cleans up the crud in the system, the hydraulic performance of all the parts improves?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Who knows? Booked in for a return to LHM (I've done 1500 miles in a little over two weeks) and full service next week. A bit naughty as she's well over 7000 miles since the last service, and not far off 8000...

She's going so well though. An absolute pleasure to drive and the only 'modern' car I've owned that I haven't got bored of after 6000 miles. I just can't see me ever selling this car.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Dollywobbler wrote:...An absolute pleasure to drive and the only 'modern' car I've owned that I haven't got bored of after 6000 miles. I just can't see me ever selling this car.
And people wonder why we love 'em. I'm on my 13th and even an imminent XM doesn't mean I'll be able (OR WANT) to get the BX out of my blood. Superb stuff, Ian.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks Phil. I like it even more after sitting down and doing a lot of sums.

The car is costing me 17p per mile to drive including insurance (free addition to my classic policy), tax (not run out yet), MoT (also not out yet), purchase, servicing, tyres and fuel!

That's a little unfair as she's overdue a service, so that'll bump the rate up a bit. Still a fair bit better than a new car, and much more character.