another BX from Romania

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
frog
BXpert

Post by frog »

Great looking car khan, everything you've done to it is great.
love the compomotives, they're some of my favourite wheels, they look just as at home on your BX as they do on a lancia delta. Did you have to widen the rear wheel arches a lot to fit them? they're 7inches wide yes?

Good to hear the gearbox is all sorted, i had a similar problem a few months ago. Morettes look good! unfortunately they're rare as hen's teeth here in australia. Keep the pictures coming!
1989 Citroën BX 16v
1993 Citroën BX 16v project
khan
Confirmed BX'er

Post by khan »

hi and welcome!

thanks for the nice words. the compomotives are really great! it's true I had to widen the rear arches and I did it with a jack and a piece of wood shaped like the inside of the arch so that the original shape is the same. it was quite a story with the morettes, I got them from a friend but without the actual headlights and I had to improvise. if you really want a pair of morettes I think that u can search thru the forums, here, or in France, I'm shure u'll be lucky enough to find some. good luck and take the time to show us your car too!
BX 2.1 Turbo D12 coming soon
khan
Confirmed BX'er

Post by khan »

hi
news from Romania. after the old 1,9l TD turned me down exactly on 31 dec 2009 (the noise was from a connecting rod bearing I think) I have this initiated:

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

3 problems as I can see:
the water pump exit is passing very close to the hidraulic returns, the alternator is 5 cm larger than the old one thus needing the radiators to be pushed towards the front of the car, together with a new intercooler and a new A/C radiator that needs to be very slim and fit so that the ventilators could fit in too, and the turbo exit that have the anti-roll bar in it's path (don't know what to cut :lol: ). anyway, a little work but not impossible. still in need of a Xsara 2.0 HDI 80 kw gearbox (best fit in terms of ratios and final ratio for this engine and bodywork combination) and a new turbo, the one on the XM engine has the compression turbine blades a bit bended, something was sucked in at one time maybe
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

What's the engine from? I'm not too familiar with the more modern vehicles.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
khan
Confirmed BX'er

Post by khan »

in fact this engine was modern back in the 90's :lol: it's an XM 2.1 TD 12V engine, almost completely rehauled and ready to give new sensations to an even older BX. stay tuned for further news
khan
Confirmed BX'er

Post by khan »

yeah, I know, it looks a bit radical but in fact is the only way to put three radiators and two ventilators in front of this car without changing it's exterior aspect

Image Image Image
khan
Confirmed BX'er

Post by khan »

until I figure out how to put the radiators there, I found this Xsara 2.0 HDI 109 BHP gearbox which is excellent for my project. it's the "longest" (3,58 final ration) gearbox ever on a Citroen and calculating the ratios, final ratio, tire dimension and maximum BHP revolution (at around 4200 revs/min) the final speed will be around 230 km/h. ok, this is not a safe speed, I'll keep that in mind, but i'll have good fuel consumption figures and enough power for a decent acceleration (we're talking some 300Nm+, that is equal to 220LbFt+). the only thing is that I have to swap the innards of the Xsara gearbox to my old BX BE3R gearbox because of the difference between clutch cable and lever, in fact the hole clutch casing is different. otherwise, there is a very small difference between the two middle cases, but it's not important as long as the shafts are the same, only the number of teeths on the gears is different. the flywheel will be off a 2.0 HDI too because it allows the use of the Xsara clutch kit which is 230mm in diameter, compared to the 215mm for the BX TD, not mentioning that the Xsara clutch plate is more robust. pics to come soon
djm666
BXpert

2.1 BX TD

Post by djm666 »

looking good. like the BMW headlamps?
BX's do look good with the round lamps.
David Musk

TXD Turbo 92
4X4 Estate 90
CX25GTi Turbo 85
khan
Confirmed BX'er

Post by khan »

gearbox already swapped, did it myself and encounter 2 problems:
I broke a tooth on a 5th gear pinion and the bearing under one of the two 5th gear pinions was larger on the Xsara gbox than in the BX one, so I swapped only the clutch cases between and keep the Xsara middle case. I also found another pinion from a dismantled P307 gbox (same ratio) for the fifth gear which is also different on the inside than the BX one (the axle on Xsara is thiker). everything works ok, gear changing, bearings, final drive, no squeaks or other unpleasand sounds, I only hope I will not have 5 gears... going backwards
khan
Confirmed BX'er

Post by khan »

the engine started excellent and run very smooth. the radiators are on just to mark their right place, the down-side cross-member isn't installed yet. place for pictures

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image
hilko16tzi

Post by hilko16tzi »

Hello Khan,

Nice car you have there.

How is the engineswap going? I do know sombody in Holland who is driving a BX 21 TD 12 for some years now. If you could use any workarounds or tips, feel free to ask... I'll contact him.
It's a kind of system! © Pat & Mat
khan
Confirmed BX'er

Post by khan »

hi hilko, if it's Marten Postma you're talking about, than be sure I know his work in detail, since it's website is still on ( http://www.martenpostma.net/ ). so, if u can speak with him tell him that he's got fans in Romania, cause there's a second BX turbo d12 already running round here. the swap is going well, after one month recess due to my job that has move over the border in Moldavia. anyway, because I want to keep the aircon I had to do some changes to the intercooler. photos to come soon. send my best wishes to Marten and tell him that he did a great deal with the engine swap and with this website and that he helped us here a lot.

meantime I'm developping a new project, this is only the teasing, I'll start a new post soon. so, the next year I plan to take my BX directly to Lhasa (Tibet), on a 3 months trip. obviously, the car will suffer some work before that, but you'll be hearing soon all the details
hilko16tzi

Post by hilko16tzi »

Yep, that's the man. Ik have send him your greets!

Succes with the engine job!
It's a kind of system! © Pat & Mat