Auto-choke (yeah Diesel owners, I know: Choke, Shmoke..)

BX Tech talk
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Automatic chokes are rubbish. I've never seen one work properly. I'd convert it to a manual if I were you - or buy a diesel!

Like you Mark I didn't think I was ready to cross over but I'm loving it. Slow and rumbly it may well be, but I can go to Brighton to see my girlfriend roughly twice as often as I used to for the same money.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

I need to do something as my fuel consumption is a bit naff! I found some good advice here... I recognised at least one of the participants :)

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/ ... t=3333&v=f

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/ ... =4&t=19545
Mark.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I`d try HonestBilly for a very cheap replacement which you could try out before buying a manual conversion :D
Vauxhall apologist.
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

You know it makes sense... :)

Billy, what year is your 1.6petrol and is it a Solex carb?

I'm thinking I could take my time cleaning, servicing and adjusting it, then do a swap!

Anyone: Is white spirit sufficient for cleaning a carb, or does it HAVE to be petrol?

Mark.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Petrol is (I think) a 91, no idea what carb but can easily find out. The best thing for cleaning carb`s is (and I`m not taking the mickey I promise) choke and carb cleaner.
A company called Safety Kleen do the best I`ve ever used, not the cheapest but definately best results.
Could remove carb and post out if required, shouldn`t be a strain even for my limited mechanical knowledge!
I`d reckon on about £15-£20 inc postage?
Vauxhall apologist.
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

Yeah I've used Wynn's carb/injector cleaner spray to good effect on my GSA Weber carb in the past, but you don't 'arf get through the can quickly!

This Safety Kleen stuff - is it a liquid or an aerosol? I was envisaging something that I could bathe the carb in and leave it for a week or summat.

Price sounds fine to me! I'll send you a PM shortly.

Mark.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

It`s a spray but I may happen to have some of their de-greasing fluid here which removes a lot of the crud with a little effort. If I have some choke and carb cleaner I can use that as well if you like.
At the moment I have Friday off work so hopefully can start removing parts for which I`ve been asked.
Vauxhall apologist.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

If I recall when I've had to overhaul the things I've soaked them in petrol or thinners - probably whatever I had to hand - and with a good soaking and scrubbing with a nylon brush, all the crud would come off the outside and inside for that matter.

Not the ideal solvents and rather dangerous really. Carb cleaner may be non-flammable but if its water based - make sure you really do get everything out.

jeremy
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Auto chokes

Post by Mike E (uk) »

These are widely considered to be problematic.

Computer controled fuel injection is the solution.

Mike
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I've got a 16TRS carb with manual conversion that's been kicking around for some time. PM me if you'd be interested in it. The conversion kit is still around in some places - after all, it was one of the standard solutions for similar autochoke problems on the XU-engined Peugeot 405.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.