BX Electric Driver's Mirror

Frequently asked technical questions and common modifications/improvements
scrappydoo
Confirmed BX'er

BX Electric Driver's Mirror

Post by scrappydoo »

Have just fitted an electric driver's mirror to an '87 GTI that only had manual Driver's side previously. Unfortuately I can find no wiring connector plug for the white pin heating element and when I go to adjust the mirror the passenger side adjusts at the same time making my efforts all a little pointless and confusing!

Any advice as to how to get them to adjust according to what side has been selected on the switch itself on the dash next to the front foglight switch. :wink:
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

You'll probably have to wire up the heating element yourself, but the wiring I can help with slightly as I've done the same job myself.
First of all you'll need to delve around under/behind the glovebox where the wiring from both mirrors joins together. Cut the wires for the drivers mirror and run them to the switch.
Then mod the switch internals. I can't remember exactly what I did, but it was either cut away a track, or join some together, or both as it won't operate both mirrors as it is. I think the switch found on some XMs looks similar but looks like it should operate both sides, although I haven't tried it.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
khan
Confirmed BX'er

Post by khan »

here you can find how to mod the switch internals. it's in french but the images speaks for themselves

http://www.yaronet.com/posts.php?s=100379

and here's how to wire the mirror heater

http://www.yaronet.com/posts.php?s=114215
BX 2.1 Turbo D12 coming soon
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

That is a fantasitically usefully post!

FYI I have 'GoogleToolbar' installed which automagically converts languages, so for me the whole thread was in (near) English and made sence.
khan
Confirmed BX'er

Post by khan »

glad to hear that this was useful
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Not too fussed about electric control, but how tricky would it be to fit heated door mirrors to my TGD? One modern thing I do like!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

If you can get hold of the heated mirrors (which will also have electric adjustment) you could fit them and the wiring would be a doddle assuming you were prepared to adjust the mirrors from the outside (you'd lose the ability to move them with the handle). Unless you transferred the heating elements to a set of manual mirrors...

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
khan
Confirmed BX'er

Post by khan »

there's enough space to pass the cables for the heated element into a manual mirror, the handle will stay in place and also the ability to move the mirror from inside. you need 2 cables for each door, one with (-) that you can take anywhere on the body and one with (+) feeded from the only free socket exactly in the centre of the fusebox. that is the return from the rear demisting switch, you can check it's functioning with a bulb and by turning on the demisting switch
scrappydoo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by scrappydoo »

Finally been able to log on!

Thanks for the reply Khan, I must admit I've got to sit down and babelfish the site you gave and really take in what they're getting at. Has anyone sucessfully followed this guide? :wink:
scrappydoo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by scrappydoo »

Just managed to get back on again! What bits will I require before I start?
khan
Confirmed BX'er

Post by khan »

nothing special, just a 25 and a 35 Torx and some screwdrivers, one normal and a Phillips
scrappydoo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by scrappydoo »

Just gone to do this job and must admit I am struggling to see what to do. I only want to make the Driver's side mirror electrically adjustable on it's own (currently adjusts at same time as the passenger one!) not fussed about heating.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Which bit are you confused about? The wiring or the switch modifications?

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
scrappydoo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by scrappydoo »

It states adding a relay to the no.2 and no.4 and 5 socket of the wiring plug. Is that just a translation of connect?
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I'll try and have a look at the mods on mine - see if it's obvious what I did. Sorry I can't remember more clearly, although it was about 6 years ago now...
I definitely didn't fit a relay though. I'll have a go at translating the French guide and see if that jogs my memory!

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad