Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

I thought you might! :wink:
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

cheers darling, bit of a soft thing to do as i might not have my BX for too much longer! Wait and see, but i might be getting a new toy car!
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Vanny wrote:i might not have my BX for too much longer! Wait and see, but i might be getting a new toy car!
Now don't go saying stuff like that and walk away without tellin' :?
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

jonkw wrote:Doh, I would have bid on that. I did see that the same vendor has this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 4561070441

The wise amongst us will spot that this is infact a 17TD unit out of a Kreg BX, and not the 19TD that they claim.
It's a very late one though with the plastic fuel filter, it would sit very nice under the lid of a red northern BX :twisted:
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

go on then, what makes it obvious its not a 1.9td?

Only things i can see is that it IS from a BX as it has one of those stupid flow divider thingies (cant see the point really ;) ), and doesn't have the pump on the Cambelt end, suggesting this is deffinately a BX engine.

But i cant see any reason that it isn't the 1.9TD, doesn't mean it started life in a BX! Only thing i can really suggest is the pump looks somehow wrong for a 1.9TD and does indeed look like a 1.7TD pump!

but am i misiing something?
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

should have gone on a bit! I currently have a 1.7TD with alternator and dual output HP pump on the cambelt end. surely its possible to have bolted the right bits on to make it fit?

Though i doubt for one minute it is a 1.9TD which is why it has no bids

was hoping there was a sure fire way to tell, possibly a molding mark or something :(
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

yey! knew there had to be a way! Now by my reckonin thats riveted on isn't it! So if it wasnt there you would have dificulty telling which was which! least now i know how to tell the difference and the codes!

Thanks Jon :D
sdcoomber

BX 1.9TD

Post by sdcoomber »

OK, I kow they didn't make them (allegedly), but anyone know the reason for two very similar engines (1.9 & 1.7) in TD format especially as the 1905 seemed to be around first.

BTW I've got all three in different cars - 1.9 N/A BX (135K), 1.7TZD BX (186K) and 1.9TD Pug 405 (245K). The 1.7TD seems the smoothest and probably the most economical even though it is a bit smoky. I should not have sold my previous one to Oscar!

I seem to remeber the BHP was similar between the two, but maybe it is too early on a Sunday. Anyone any ideas?

Steve
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

the 1.9TD tends to list at 92bhp, while the 1.7TD tends to list at 90bhp so there is literally pss all between them, which explains why they get to the same sort of top speed!

But the way they put this power down is totally different! I havent driven a 1.7TD much but they dont half shift in comparison to the 1.9TD they are certainly quicker off the mark for a start! It seems to all come from a slightly shorter stroke (i could be wrong though before you all jump on my head!) and as such it puts its power down a lot earlier than the 1.9TD, however the 1.9TD has enough torque to rip the 1.7 into two!

And i wont lie this is the reason for wanting to stick with the 1.9td, with a little tinkering it can happily be brought upto 113bhp and allow a much quicker take off. Im not convinced it will be as fast smooth or economic as the 1.7td but as i tend to do a lot of towing id rather have grunt than flight!