Towbar(s) wanted

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Jayboy
BXpert

Towbar(s) wanted

Post by Jayboy »

Saloon and estate both wanted. Must be genuine Citroen please.

I don't want to butcher the 16v by fitting the aftermarket one I took off the TGD as it would require some 'reprofiling' of the underbody!!

Thanks

Justin
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I have an estate one here c/w electrics I believe. Not sure if it`s a genuine one or not as I haven`t looked really closely at it. Mind sound like a silly question but is there a way of telling and assuming it`ll have Citroen stamped on it somewhere would you happen to know where it will be please?
Cheers,
Vauxhall apologist.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I think you'll find the genuine has round tubes and is quite clumsy in the towball area. Most otheres are square tube, probably neater and less prone to corrosion!

pictures of genuine on Bob Smith's site.

http://www.rwbsmith.plus.com/citroen2/

jeremy
M

Post by M »

cavmad wrote:I have an estate one here c/w electrics I believe. Not sure if it`s a genuine one or not as I haven`t looked really closely at it. Mind sound like a silly question but is there a way of telling and assuming it`ll have Citroen stamped on it somewhere would you happen to know where it will be please?
Cheers,
It is a genuine one if its the one you collected off me.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Hmm i could do with a new one i was told mine is to corroded to tow safely so now i know the genuine are better as my aftermarket one is a pain to get the spare wheel in and out infact i had to bend my carrier as you couldnt get the spare wheel out at all.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

My DTR has a rather nicely designed towbar on it. Not sure if it's genuine, but it's certainly well designed. I'll take it off if anyone wants it.
this might be a signature
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

yes please i would love a new one. how much ?
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

AFAIK it "should" have Citroen stamped on an aluminium plate somewhere near the tow ball along with other information. It has on my 4x4 and my old Xantia towbar did for sure.

As already mentioned it will have round tubes too. Where are you located cavmad?
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Jayboy it IS a geunine one (thanks to Marty for pointing that out) and I`m in Chester, Cheshire. A mere hop on the ferry and then about 20 is minutes drive away. Locotaed with a mile of the M53 motorway, you can go through either tunnel if coming via Liverpool or straight down the A55 if Holyhead.
Vauxhall apologist.
M

Post by M »

jonkw wrote:.
The reason that Genuine ones are best? Well, all the aftermarket ones are just square and flat steel, and they bolt to the metal panels that have the towing eye holes in them either side of the car. Unfortunately, these 2 panels are merely spot welded to the rear chassis legs and boot floor. Probably Ok for towing another car on a rope for a bit, but not really strong enough to take a big caravan or trailer. We've also seen corrosion where they are spot welded to the chassis legs.
Going to have to check the one on the Xanty now - as thats a square Bosal one, Im sure that its bolted to thin air you know :?
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

saw one on a 405 estate once that was bolted to naff all, bent the monet the guy hung his new (light weight) caravan to it.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

I can well believe that. I've seen 4 different designs of towbar on 405 estates now. 2 of them were quite good... one is ok, and the other was apalling...

Despite it being a pain in the posterior that EU regs mean that all towbars have to be approved, at least it means you don't get rubbish ones any more.
this might be a signature
M

Post by M »

DavidRutherford wrote:Despite it being a pain in the posterior that EU regs mean that all towbars have to be approved, at least it means you don't get rubbish ones any more.
Well here is hoping then as it is EU stamped (plated) - Mind you one I fitted on the ZX was a right naff thing - and yes I did tow the caravan with it once, thankfully it didnt bend with that, but bent easily with my boot attached to it when I was trying to fit the bugger. :roll:
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Matt has a square one, but its a genuine Citroen one with plug in wiring and a ali plate stamped with citroen on it and all the ratings!

Am i right in thinking the proper ones have the big long strap bits that vanish off into the car (behind the wheel carrier) and have reinforcements that come into the boot?