BX Electric Driver's Mirror

Frequently asked technical questions and common modifications/improvements
scrappydoo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by scrappydoo »

Thanks mate, appreciated :wink:
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Right, I've taken a photo of my switch internals. It looks very similar to the photo in Khan's link, here:
linky thing

Mine is like this:

Where the black lines are on the first photo is where to cut the tracks; where the red marking is, this indicates a link. On mine you can just about make out the black link wire I have run outside the switch casing. (Above the link wire on mine, in the bottom RH corner you can see where I accidentally cut the wrong track and had to patch it back together again :oops: ) Hopefully on my photo you can see where I have cut.

I can't understand all the French link, but I think the relay is for when you are using the XM switch (as I had initially thought looks identical) which reverses the up and down motion of the mirror.

Does this all make some kind of sense?!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

With your heated mirrors, locate and tap into the heated rear window circuit.

After the R4 window heating relay.
As the mirror is exposed electrical equipment.
Just include an inline 10 amp fuse.
The standard heated rear window consol light will give you notice their operating.

Regards
scrappydoo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by scrappydoo »

Thanks for the looking, I'll get the switch apart and get my soldering iron out!

As for the heating element how do I get the wiring from the mirror to the fusebox!
scrappydoo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by scrappydoo »

Modified and refitted switch today but not working. Noticed with my the 4 plug loom that only two of the pins have wires going to them, I'm assuming this is why I have an issue.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I already wrote:you'll need to delve around under/behind the glovebox where the wiring from both mirrors joins together. Cut the wires for the drivers mirror and run them to the switch.
To elaborate on that a bit - the 2 wires already connected to your switch split into 4 wires behind the glovebox and go off to each mirror. You need to establish which wires go to the drivers mirror, and then take those wires to the redundant terminals on your modified switch. I took the carpet up, traced them back and pulled them through.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
scrappydoo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by scrappydoo »

Blimey, it's a myriad of wires! Can you be specific where you found the joj nt where it changed from 4 wires to 4!