TZD owner at last!

Anything about BXs
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

TZD owner at last!

Post by cavmad »

Picked it up yesterday after winning it on eBay. £50 with about 5-6 month`s MOT and rent until the end of this month.
Not exactly mint condition, started on the button but no LHM meant suspension wouldn`t come up until topped up. Two bald-ish tyres (just about legal) suspension that felt akin to riding a pogo stick through a field full of blacmange and a taped up rear quarter light all added to the character.
No radio and broken steering column shroud to sort out as well as the above BUT it drove 270 odd miles back without stopping the engine (left it running whilst I had a wee break) and I`m suitably impressed with the performance.
Got it over a ton (private road officer) 3 times without even trying or noticing until I glanced at the speedo and was very useful when having to pull into lane 3 of the M6 due to idiots and then having to accelerate to aviod BMW drivers (four or five time I kid you not and all Beemere drivers :evil: ).
Seems to have a rev limiter or just runs out of go at the end of the red line so ultimate accereleration will need to be tried without having a momentary lack of go when changing up, looking forward to practising that on the way to work when all of a sudden the motorway route is looking good again.
Definately potential in the old girl yet, I`ll take some before and after pictures and we can play spot the difference.
Have some plans for it which will come to fruition after (hopefully if he doesn`t mind) a certain resdient of Yorkshire has weaved his magic on suspension etc.
I have now a vast array of some very rare, very nice goodies to add to it which were going onto the estate but as that`s a sort of works car/football car it`ll end up with the extras getting wrecked.
I`ll keep you posted and sort some pictures out when I get the chance.
meanwhile I think a bit of motorway fun and speed testing is in order.
Very impressed with performance and general condition of engine which fairly purrs along.
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Glad its gone to a good home Cavmad, I have a 19TZS auto to fetch from London W1 soon if i win it! glad I didnt end up with teh Tizzzy dee as I really want a auto as Im lazy!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Nice one, welcome to the exclusive TZD owners club, you only have the initiation to come (provided the goat is better)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Terry Brooks
BXpert
Location: No 1 at the end of the bar .....@Milton Arms,Rotherham

Re: TZD owner at last!

Post by Terry Brooks »

cavmad wrote: Seems to have a rev limiter or just runs out of go at the end of the red line so ultimate accereleration will need to be tried without having a momentary lack of go when changing up, looking forward to practising that on the way to work when all of a sudden the motorway route is looking good again.
Hi Cav .....my TZD dont like reving over the red line ....it just sort of "runs out of puff" ...the best performance is between 3000rpm and just before the red area ......Enjoy!
Terry
Dont let the 2CV fool you,I'm not a hippy,I like violence
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thanks peeps, enjoy it I shall! I forgot to mention the handbrake doesn`t work either which the made the journey home a bit more lively.
BTW got 220 miles in three hours which should show how enthusiastically I was driving it. I don`t think I went below 70 all the way back on the motorway and aside from previously mentioned loo break the car was virtually flat out all the way!
I seem to have been bitten by the BX bug big time and will readily confess I`m enjoying most of it!
Vauxhall apologist.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

I can confirm that 300 miles in three hours is possible, as long as the Gendarmes are not trapping on the Autoroute. You'll only get 35 MPG though. Change all the filters and bung half a gallon of unleaded into a tankful of DERV. Welly thoroughly for 600 miles and it will all click into place.

What news of the goat?
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Welcome to diesel world.I used to hate them with a passion until I got my blue one.Difference in power and torque to petrol takes some getting used to,but when you do,you'll never look back.When I drive a petrol now,I always seem to be in a gear higher than I should be.Sorry petrol people,but for me,diesel is the way to go :D (If somebody had told me 5 years ago,that I would be saying this,i would have said they were insane!!!)
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I agree diesel was the best choice i ever made i do regular 350 mile round trips and it dosnt cost much in fuel and the old lady loves cruising up the motorway at 85 all the way but she still has plenty to give with a bit more boot lovely.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Bin there, driven diesel. Got fed up. Back on petrols now but considering diesels again.

The serious downside to a turbo diesel is you only get about 2500rpm of power and you have to keep it in that narrow power band at all costs. The 16v is sort of the same in a way. Fun starts at 4200rpm until red line. That at least gives you about 3000rpm to play with in a rather noisy and anti-social manner.

2CV has no power all through the rev range!

What turbo diesels do really well is have mountains of torque. 60mph up steep hills is no bother - they will actually accelerate whereas the 16v may need to drop a cog to maintain speed. They can be stress free on longer journeys because you don't need to rag it to get moving. Never really used to take my Pug beyond 3500rpm most of the time. High-revving diesels don't sound nice! Ah, unless they are Audi V6 jobbies which sound gorgeous. Oh, or Volvo's five cylinder. I'll shut up now...

Ian
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

yangreen wrote: or Volvo's five cylinder.
Which is of course another Audi engine... from the A6.
this might be a signature
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Er...yes. I was trying to cover up my Audi fetish. I think it's over now anyway after I owned one!

Ian
classic2cv
BXpert

Post by classic2cv »

8) well done cav wellcome to TZD world 8)
Citroen BX

Origami in plastic and steel

^^ ^^^^bx>
classic2cv
BXpert

Post by classic2cv »

Tom:
Change all the filters and bung half a gallon of unleaded into a tankful of DERV. Welly thoroughly for 600 miles and it will all click into place.

:? :?: :? :?:
Citroen BX

Origami in plastic and steel

^^ ^^^^bx>
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I`ve been on the diesel thing a couple of years now so I`m sort of use to them but would confess to preferring petrol cars to drive. Hopefully the TZD will change that. Didn`t go to work in it today because I got up late and had to pick `er indoors up and she wouldn`t have appreciated the state of the intrior in it. Mind you the old estate is chock full of c*p at the moment and still being used daily.
Sleepy or MNDE (can`t remember who sorry!), if you`re about I`ll sort out getting it up to you soon as as I`ve just about finished with it now.
Vauxhall apologist.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

OK :D
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp