How do I change the Dashboard bulbs ?

Frequently asked technical questions and common modifications/improvements
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: Bulb holders

Post by Way2go »

ritmo wrote:There are quite a few bulb holders missing. I've got the bulbs, just no way of attaching them.
Depending upon your model of BX, the bulb holders are not necessarily fully populated as they relate to functions of the other models. So fitting bulbs in these positions will likely do nothing for you.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

BX calipers should NOT need to be wound back with a screw action, though it helps. Quick jaws or Gclamp is all i have ever used!
Last edited by Vanny on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Really? I thought that was part of the self adjusting handbrake mechanism. I stand corrected!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

I read somewhere, possibly this forum, about LEDs that were available as a straight swap for dashboard type bulbs.

Is that correct - if so where can I get them? I tried browsing a Maplins store recently but no joy.

Cheers,

Mark
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

Mark

Halfords have the correct size for the BX 286/T5 holders. Currently you can have any main colour, but……. not white or clear. :lol:
Managed to buy several white ones some while ago.

Try this company. Would have thought you would need to fit a complete set as the LED bulbs are somewhat brighter. But check the total bulb length. Several types are longer, for fully recessed panels/holders.

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/286-T5 ... 86LED.html

Regards
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

You will probably find that if you change all the bulbs, the rheostat will go from bright to slightly less bright. The reason being is that the LEDs draw much less current, therefore there is less voltage drop over the rheostat. You could get round this by putting a resistor in parallel with the LEDs, but I haven't worked out what value or power rating it would need to be...

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

Haven’t seen these before, almost identical length as the original type.

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/R509T- ... teid=14881

Listed as T509. Fitting appears the same. 509 could designate - complete with holder.
Rated at 2 watts each. Approx 20-26 of those is going to be 8) :) bright in white.

Tried various colours. Green is cr*p – very low light output. Red – OK.
I’ve fitted blue on the heater control panel.
Just running through a circuit for red auto dimming foot well lights. Well, the colour matches the car.

Trying to work out how to include the flashing Christmas lights and the singing Santa or, electric nodding dog.!!!! :roll:

Regards
BX-pert

Re: How do I change the Dashboard bulbs ?

Post by BX-pert »

Whenever I had to do a dash bulb job, I used to check every bulb in the pod by leaving the ignition on, removing the 'STOP' bulb, and replacing it with the next one I took out, If it lit, (you can tell from the rear), it went back to it's original place, and the next got tested. (Silvery/ blackened ones got discarded anyway).
I found the easiest way to remove each lamp holder was to use a single hex 8mm socket on the holder. (Or was it 7mm? Long time ago!)
You can tell the difference between the holders that you replace the lamp (Earlier type) and the non replaceable type by looking at the bottom of the holder. If you have little soldered tabs at the base, you need the whole lot. The little lamps could sometimes be quite stiff to remove from the early type holder, best way to pull them was with a little strip of rubber around the lamp. (I actually superglued some rubber innertube to the jaws of a pair of old pliers, but then I did tend to do a lot of them)
HTH
mds141
Over 2k

Re:

Post by mds141 »

mat_fenwick wrote:You will probably find that if you change all the bulbs, the rheostat will go from bright to slightly less bright. The reason being is that the LEDs draw much less current, therefore there is less voltage drop over the rheostat. You could get round this by putting a resistor in parallel with the LEDs, but I haven't worked out what value or power rating it would need to be...
Mat, could you use the resistors that are intended for motorcycles, when the standard filament indicator bulbs are swapped for LEDs.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Don't think so, as for 2 x 21w indicator bulbs you would need a 3 ohm resistor. To replicate the load of all the dash bulbs (11 x 1.2w) you need an 11 ohm resistor. That's assuming you replace the 8 behind the dials, the cig lighter bulb and the heater illumination. If you leave some bulbs in place then the rheostat will work more effectively - on the van I have left the heater illumination alone and I can just about dim the illumination to the (fairly dim) level I like. If you like it bright you may be fine without worrying about resistors etc.

Something like this would do a more effective job of dimming LEDs if you wanted to go to town!

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

WOW!! Remotely controlled dimming interior lights!! BX BLING!! :)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.