Post by stuart_hedges »

Tom:
bung half a gallon of unleaded into a tankful of DERV
Does that help then?

:?:
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

as a "clean out", yes it does. I wouldn't recommend it on a permanent basis, but for one tankfull it will make the combustion start slightly earlier, and be slightly hotter, thus giving the combustion chambers a good clean out.

The only drawback being that you loose a (Teeny-tiny) bit of lubricity, and so that's why it's probably not a good idea to do all the time.
this might be a signature
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Would a dose of vege oil therefore be a good idea afterwards as I`m led to believe this has much better better lubricational qualities than diesel?
Vauxhall apologist.
M

Post by M »

cavmad wrote: I`m led to believe this has much better better lubricational qualities than diesel?
Ohhh Yesss.

Well thats my excuse Officer - and Im sticking to it!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Funny thing about the TZD is it made me remember how much better the 1.7 engine is compared to the 1.9.
The old 1.7 (n/a) I had was miles better in my opinion than the 1.9 and the TZD is smoothness and performance personified. I can`t wait to go to work in it tomorrow!
Vauxhall apologist.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

I have to say, having driven 405's with both the 1.7TD and 1.9TD engines, the 1.7TD is smoother and slightly quieter. It also feels like it rev's more freely. But, it's also less powerful, and the 1.9Td is a better tow vehicle. That said, with a small tweak to the boost pressure and fuelling levels, the 1.7TD engine is a belter.

Mentioning tuning, the 1.7TD should in theory be able to take more abuse than the 1.9 engine as it has more metal around the bores, and smaller lighter pistons.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I like the cocktail of unleaded. diesel and a dash of cooking oil to lube things, IU too have noticed the diference between 1.7s and 1.9s in both turbo and non turbo forms, I do love a bit of torque though :D
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

the 2.1 TD continues the theme.... it's very torquey indeed, but is rough and quite grumbly in comparison.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I looked at the dutch site with the 2.1 BX conversion, he must have a big shoehorn to get it all in there, it looks stuffed, a far more difficult conversion than the 1.9TD methinks.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

cant see it being that much different stewart, the lumps are relatively speaking the same size! The problem pbviously comes when trying to fit an intercooler!
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Maybe i should be the new Cavmad???

See my updated profile.....
Over and out from me
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

1995 Cavalier? Good grief! That said, my mate had an LS 2.0 auto and it was actually a nice car in Metallic Silver - later style blacked out rear lights unit. Much nicer looking than a Mundano.

Was thinking of getting an Astra myself...

But they still have cambelts. And radiators. And other stuff I'm wishing I didn't have to bother with! (Still in 2CV honeymoon period!)

Ian
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

you have the cav bit, and you have the 4x4 mad bit, maybe you should be 4x4cavmad?
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Vanny wrote:cant see it being that much different stewart, the lumps are relatively speaking the same size!
The block is the same size, but the 2.1 12v head is massive in comparison to the 8v head. Almost any vehicle the 2.1TD is fitted to has a VERY full engine bay.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Yes, congratulations to Ian (F) on his choice of new car. That`s one converted 130 odd to go. Ian, you won`t regret it mate and it`s saved you from a lifetime of hell with a Xantia :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.