TZD/TGD

Anything about BXs
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

TZD/TGD

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Hi I just wondered what the difference between a TGD n/a and Turbo saloon and a TZD n/a and turbo saloon was. In particular was there a TZD n/a estate or were all turbo? And did they ever make an automatic diesel?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

There`s a 1.9 diesel auto on eBay right now, I`ve posted the link on the `spotting` section.
Differences that I`ve noticed between TZD and TGD are: (TZD) has front fogs, one touch electric driver`s window, plusher seats, sunroof (well mine has anyway!), electric passenger mirror, rear spoiler and some other things I haven`t discovered yet. Wasn`t aware that there was a TZD non turbo but there`s a lot of things I don`t know about BX`s at the moment :D
Vauxhall apologist.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Prompted by my own curiosity, I've checked the two BX brochures that I realised I had stashed away. The one from 1989 suggestes there are model differences but mechanically they are similar. As far as saloons go, the 19TGD and 19TZD have 71 bhp and the 19TGD Turbo and the 19TZD Turbos have 90 bhp (and quite a lot more torque!). It doesn't offer auto as an option with these. The only diesel estates are TGD and TZD Turbo.

In my 1991 brochure, It's the same (with a diesel Meteor there too) and auto is offered on the normally aspirated versions of the saloons, but not estates!
M

Post by M »

Philip chidlow wrote:19TGD Turbo and the 19TZD Turbos have 90 bhp (and quite a lot more torque!). It doesn't offer auto as an option with these. The only diesel estates are TGD and TZD Turbo.
Legend has it that the TD engine will rip the autobox apart with its torque - hence why it wasnt offered - however there have been examples found of very late cars with this option which suggests either
a) thats bollocks
b) Citroen using their parts bin up
c) Home conversions

I did meet a chap at the Northern Meeting who had a TD auto - cant remember if it was a home made one or not though :roll:
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Philip chidlow wrote:Prompted by my own curiosity, I've checked the two BX brochures that I realised I had stashed away. The one from 1989 suggestes there are model differences but mechanically they are similar. As far as saloons go, the 19TGD and 19TZD have 71 bhp and the 19TGD Turbo and the 19TZD Turbos have 90 bhp (and quite a lot more torque!). It doesn't offer auto as an option with these. The only diesel estates are TGD and TZD Turbo.

In my 1991 brochure, It's the same (with a diesel Meteor there too) and auto is offered on the normally aspirated versions of the saloons, but not estates!
Told you I didn`t know much about BX`s: I wasn`t aware they did a 19TZD turbo, I though all turbos were 17s :?: :oops:
Vauxhall apologist.
M

Post by M »

cavmad wrote:Told you I didn`t know much about BX`s: I wasn`t aware they did a 19TZD turbo, I though all turbos were 17s :?: :oops:
I think Im right in saying they came at the twilight of the BX's production years (and subsequently found their way into the Xantia - El Presedente will know for definate.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I don't know what the badging differences are though. Looking at a saloon tailgate does it say BX19TZD Turbo then? I am a great fan of the BX but I do get confused. Can I suggest a definitive model guide, with illustrations and trim/badging details one day? I could make a start.... :?
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

"TZ" in TZD just refers to trim levels - however, there were no 1.9 diesel estates in Z trim, to the best of my knowledge.

Most 1.7 turbos identify themselves with an additional badge on the rear of the hatch - for example the 17 TGD turbo, the 17 TXD turbo, TZD turbo etc.

I still maintain that ANY BX 1.9 turbodiesel would be the result of an engine transplant.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I followed a Morello Cherry/Maroon BX hatch on the A55 last year and it was badged 19TXD Turbo, not a very late one either on a J as I recall, mind you the badges are free from the scrappers.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

If there are any BX 19 TZD turbos the chances are they are estates - as estate production continued for quite a while after the saloons before the xantia estate was introduced.

TZD/TGD trim - different and colour coded seats on TGD - along with coloured dash and plastics, door cards etc, No electric windows in the back, no rear speakers or headphone and power sockets on back of console. possibly one piece rear seat, minor electricals as mentioned - many have sunroofs - but probably made that way and sold as a compulsory option.

TZD/TGD N/A seem mechanically identical as do turbos

I don't think ABS was available on any TGD but was available on 19 TZD and TZD Turbo.

jeremy
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Just had a peek at the citroenz.com site and the 19TZD is non turbo :?:
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Once again there are no known production 1.9 Turbo Diesels in the BX anywhere, Citroen them selves have told me that there aren't any (though who knows about that one).

Hell mine is badged as a 16 valve Diesel (though no mention of a turbo) and it certainly isnt a 16valve (though my dad has just got a new 1.6 16v HDi diesel, i wonder if he would miss the engine? Only 105 miles on it as well so certainly not broken in! On second thoughts better let it clock up some more miles and get it proof tested.
M

Post by M »

There are times when I dont think Citroen can tell their arse from their elbow - the Xantia came badged as a LX, sold as a LX, V5 says its a Forte, Citroen says "yeah that could be right, they are about the same spec wise". :roll:
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

If anybody has access to any of the brochures of the time, they don't really help either. However, looking at the BX range brochures from 1986, 1987 and 1991 I have come up with the following information:

Range 1986/87: Saloon: BX (1.4 62bhp), BX14E and RE, BX16RS and TRS, BX17RD (diesel, 60 bhp), BX19RD and DTR (identical as far as I can tell! both 65bhp diesels), BX19TRS and the BX19GTi. Estate: BX16RS, BX19TRS and the only diesel estate listed the BX19RD (65 bhp as with saloons).

Range: 1987/88: Saloon: BX14TE and TGE, BX16TGS and TZS, BX17TGD, BX19TGD and TZD (both 71 bhp n/a diesels), BX19TGD Turbo and TZD Turbo (90 bhp), BX19TZS, BX19 GTi and GTi 4x4 and the BX16 valve. Estate: BX16TGS, BX4x4 (that's how it's listed - no '19'), BX19TZS, BX19TZI (with the 125 bhp 8v GTi engine), BX19TGD and the BX TZD Turbo (with the 90 bhp diesel, again no '19' listed).

Range: 1991/92: Saloon: BX14TGE, BX16TGS & Meteor, BX19TZS and BX19TZI (catalyst), BXGTi and BXGTi 4x4, BX 16 valve, BX17TGD, BX19TGD and TZD, BX Meteor Diesel, BX TGD Turbo and BX TZD Turbo (again model designations as listed). Estate: BX16TGS, BX TZS, BX 4x4, BX TZI (catalyst), BX19TGD, BX Meteor Diesel and finally the BX TZD Turbo...

Now, where is the 1.7 turbo in the range(s)? Or are all 1.7 diesels turbos?
I'm confused!
:? :? :?
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Oh, and in the 1993/94 range of estates there were only three models: BX16TXi, BX19 TXD and the BX TZD Turbo...