BX Swap Shop - Deal Done

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

BX Swap Shop - Deal Done

Post by Dollywobbler »

Hi

I'm in the mood for a swap. I have a 1989 Phase 1 BX 16 Valve pretending to be a Phase 2. It was recently owned by Keith Adams of Classic Car weekly and Austin-Rover.co.uk fame.

I bought it in November last year and have clocked up about 4000 miles since. It had a service and cambelt not long after I bought it and the thermostat was replaced.

It is tremendous fun - a stainless exhaust has been fitted and it sounds fantastic. As you all know, these things shift. As you probably also know, a lot of them are broken for 205s which is a shame.

Downsides to my motor are the weary synchromesh on 3rd and 4th gear, the 168,000 miles on the clock, the tailgate with one bust hinge (oops) which isn't wired in yet (apart from the HRW), the heater which does mild or cold (tap is a bit stuck) and the MOT which is up in April.

Further pluses are the engine which is very sweet (although does burn a little oil on start up), the recent cambelt, the Phase 2 looks (in my opinion better than the P1) and the fun factor!

I'm looking for only £450 or I will swap for a more genteel BX. Anything but a 1.6 and I mean anything. I've owned a 19TGD before but have yet to experience any of the others so let me know what you have. Would prefer something that isn't in need of a cambelt change as I've just been through one! 14s to GTi 8 valves. I'm open to suggestions.

Some pics of the BX are here http://photos.wanadoo.co.uk/album/2436825 or check out this monster topic from when Keith "upgraded" it http://www.bx16v.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2028

Cheers

Ian
Last edited by Dollywobbler on Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

bored already :-)

speed is only a temporary allure to a 2cv owner :-)

id have it i had the cash. wanna scruffy 2cv club?
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Having driven both the 8v GTi and 16v BX i can honestly say that for a daily driver the 8v is more usable. More low down torque gives you a bigger bang for your buck 90% of the time.
Over and out from me
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Hmmm, 160bhp BX for a 30ishbhp 2CV. If it went as well as my Dolly, I'd probably say you're on! There's motivation to get the engine sorted.

That said, if I get another 2CV, I'll stop using my now-very-nice Dolly and become one of those folk who keeps their car in a garage and only uses it in the sun. That's no fun!

No, sorry Matt. BX it has to be.

Unless I go really crazy and get an XM but I'm (thankfully!) feeling quite sane at the moment!

Ian
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Ian, pete abbot is going to be doing my charleston now!

Cor that car will be lovely once its done!
Over and out from me
Tim2cv
BXpert

Post by Tim2cv »

How can you be bored already? I've been on the motorways this wknd terrorising everything. I dont know what it is about the 16v, once your behind the wheel it drives! People come up behind you in their obviously companycar bmw 318 etc and i pull over into the middle lane and cant help but floor it to see if they do really want to overtake or if they just have some pecker size issues that makes them drive only in the fast lane.......
sorry, enjoy driving the BX and dont like it when others try to spoil my fun!

as for the 2cv.... WIP..... more rust removal and preventation..... by me!

TIM
2CV6 1986 Dolly

MEHARI 1976

DYANE 6 1981 - GF'S CAR!

www.bx16valve.co.uk/forum

www.myspace.com/tim2cv
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Tim2cv wrote:How can you be bored already? I've been on the motorways this wknd terrorising everything. TIM
Sums up my morning too :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

There's motivation to get the engine sorted
Actually Ian i have, freshened up the carb (well actually i rebuilt a spare)
and replaced the cracked insulator block and it goes much better than it did, but having thought a little the dyane and other 2CV's are not even nearly ready so Id have to withdraw my offer anyway :-)
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I think I'll withdraw my offer too! Everyone suddenly seems to be selling 16 valves!!

Guess they aren't so bad when you open them up towards the red line, exhaust rasping like an angry cat, speedo needle moving every quicker around its dial, gearbox crunching as you beat the synchromesh, bits of dashboard falling down when you go over bumps...

You can't beat the BXperience!!

Ian
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

No, changed my mind again. She has to go. Am I mad to quite fancy a diesel auto at this point?!

Horror of horrors, I may be considering non-BX transport but open to offers for the 16 valve.

Ian
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

half a pound of spuds and a few carrots? could throw in a turnip.

does rachel wanna sell her AX? Is it a one litre?
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Yes, it is a one litre and no, she doesn't want to sell. She's going to keep it until it dies. Which it frustratingly refuses to do!

I hate vegetables so unfortunately I will have to decline your offer for the BX! :P

Ian
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

half a pound of mince and some 'wafer thin' mints?

Sorry for hijacking this thread, Ians car is very nice, drives very well and with some litle jobs doing (some of which i was supposed to do) it would be a real belter :-)

Owen if you are reading this Ian would be over the moon with your BX14 Cos its so nice, and you would love a 16v wouldnt you :-) - Playing devils advocate :twisted:
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

After driving my humble Dolly 1100 miles in 12 days, I am starting to wonder why I bother with a modern at all. Have been to Devon and back this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Stuck to almost deserted A roads and it was blissful. If a little chilly with the roof off on Saturday!

Oh and Matt, Rachel says she may sell the AX - she just never expected that anyone would want to buy it! PM me if you want to discuss.

Ian
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Ok, BX HAS TO GO!! Make an offer if you fancy it. Swapsies or not.

Ian