Overhauling a steering pinion unit

Frequently asked technical questions and common modifications/improvements
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

my understanding in terms of the coloured caps is that these are for vehicle variations. I've been told that the other colours are for other models (XM, Xantia etc) not sure if this is true, every BX one i've seen has ended up with the brown cap.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Vanny wrote: With regard the copy of the description MatF has provided, i find 30 to 40% of the steps in the guide pointless/unnecessary (having done the job rather a few too many times now) HOWEVER it is a very explicit guide and i can't see anything obviously at fault dangerous about it.
Well, possibly, but hey! MY ram didn't blow up.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Don't bother getting all personal, fact is i've done the job many times, and in many different ways without a problem and I find (ie given the way i do things, the logical order i do things, the experience i've gained) i dont need to complete a lot of the steps in the guide MatF posted.

And as is well documented on this here forum, it was by 'brute force and total ignorance' assistant that blew the rack, and quite some time before the 'guide' came out.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Having never done the job myself I can't say whether steps can/should be missed out. But I've learnt myself that with a common sense approach there are usually several ways to do a job correctly.
That's the purpose of this part of the forum; to spread knowledge around from the more experienced members.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Vanny wrote:Don't bother getting all personal, fact is i've done the job many times, and in many different ways without a problem and I find (ie given the way i do things, the logical order i do things, the experience i've gained) i dont need to complete a lot of the steps in the guide MatF posted.

And as is well documented on this here forum, it was by 'brute force and total ignorance' assistant that blew the rack, and quite some time before the 'guide' came out.
Vanny I'm only having a laugh - your experience and knowledge far outstrip mine, I'm very happy to admit.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"